Pope kisses the quran

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
I know this happened in 1999 or 2001, but I just read about online. If you go to google and type the title in you will find a plethora of cites referring to this.

My question is, why would the Pope do this? What was his reasoning?

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Yurt said:
I know this happened in 1999 or 2001, but I just read about online. If you go to google and type the title in you will find a plethora of cites referring to this.

My question is, why would the Pope do this? What was his reasoning?

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Boy, I hope that's an internet myth!

I'm not Catholic, but if he really did that........and he's supposed to be the "only" intermediator for the Catholics to accurately know the ways and mind of God Himself...............what's the world coming to?

Eightball said:
Boy, I hope that's an internet myth!

I'm not Catholic, but if he really did that........and he's supposed to be the "only" intermediator for the Catholics to accurately know the ways and mind of God Himself...............what's the world coming to?

It isn't. I read about this a while back. He also let a Hindu Shiva (sp?) bless him when he was in India a few years back.....

What the problem if the Pope kiss the Q'ran ?
the muslim, christian and jewish religions are linked. There is relation between the 3.
Christianism comes from Judaism.
Islam recognize Jesus as a prophet, like Moise or Mahomet.

Don't feed the hate between Islam and Christianism.

Look at the french muslim : friday is the day of the great prayer, like the sunday for Christians.
And the french muslims, today, at the great mosqee of Paris, pray for the Pope, and for his health.
They were with the Catholics, and suffered with them.

I think that the news of the death - or the soon death - of Jean Paul II are sad, and the people of the world, catholics, protestants, orthodox, muslim, jews, buddhists, taoists.....would be together to think to the Pope. Even if people are not believers or catholics, the Pope is not only the chief of the catholic Church, he's a world important person.

padisha emperor said:
the muslim, christian and jewish religions are linked. There is relation between the 3.

Look at the french muslim : friday is the day of the great prayer, like the sunday for Christians.
And the french muslims, today, at the great mosqee of Paris, pray for the Pope, and for his health.

I think that the news of the death - or the soon death - of Jean Paul II are sad, and the people of the world, catholics, protestants, orthodox, muslim, jews, buddhists, taoists.....would be together to think to the Pope. Even if people are not believers or catholics, the Pope is not only the chief of the catholic Church, he's a world important person.

what religion was the dude that shot the pope? :poke:

padisha emperor said:

First, I agree that the Pope is a person of great importance in the world. So it's big news that he is on his deathbed.

But I take issue with the "link" between Islam, Christianity, and Judiasm. Judiasm and Christianity are certainly linked. However, Islam is a totally different religion, which pays lip service to Moses, Abraham, Jesus, etc. but rejects the Bible, and its teachings, as "corrupt.

I agree with you, gop_jeff.
But Islam is one of the great monotheist religion, and there is realtion between Islam and Christianism.

Manu : for you, the Pope should had to kick this muslim guy ? and punish the muslims ?
The Pope show the example, show what Compassion, and Forgive is : he was misericordious, he forgave, he was a real good christian. It is a proof of superiority, of faith.

The only link Islam has to Judiasm and Christianity is muhammads made up tale. He had to link the religions, else he would be creating a new religion. There is zero link between Christianity, easy. I really can't stand it when people say Allah and God are the same. If so, then one of them is lying, for one says Jesus is His Son, the other says Jesus is not. Can't be the same God.

As for the God of Abraham, why would the God of Abraham and Moses subject jews to less than equal treatment if Islam was the same religion or same God as the jews. This makes NO sense.

IMHO

manu1959 said:
what religion was the dude that shot the pope? :poke:

And which religion is it that preaches forgiveness and not to judge lest ye be judged? So the pope got shot by A Muslim. He is just not judging all Muslim’s actions by that man's decision.

gop_jeff said:
First, I agree that the Pope is a person of great importance in the world. So it's big news that he is on his deathbed.

But I take issue with the "link" between Islam, Christianity, and Judiasm. Judiasm and Christianity are certainly linked. However, Islam is a totally different religion, which pays lip service to Moses, Abraham, Jesus, etc. but rejects the Bible, and its teachings, as "corrupt.

They all use the old Testament. There is your link.

deaddude said:
And which religion is it that preaches forgiveness and not to judge lest ye be judged? So the pope got shot by A Muslim. He is just not judging all Muslim’s actions by that man's decision.

that was my point in my first post...then i got shit on .... so i took the wise ass approach now i have just decided to :piss2:

deaddude said:
They all use the old Testament. There is your link.

No, they don't. Islam rejects the Bible in its entirety as corrupted.

The link is that they are all monotheistic. But the definitions of the nature God differ between the three.

No it does not reject the Old Testament as corrupt. Historically the muslims have been classified as one of the "People of the Book" which also includes Jews and Christians. The Link between these people is the use of the Old Testament.

And Islam recognize Jesus. They also recognize Moise, Abraham....as prophets.
For them, Jesus is not THE prophet (it is Mahomet) but he's all the same aprophet for them.

exactly.

And because he's the Leader of the Church, he had to be a real example for the rest of the catholics. and he probably forgave even the man who shot on him.
The Jews don't hate the German and the Austrian because Hitler....

deaddude said:
No it does not reject the Old Testament as corrupt. Historically the muslims have been classified as one of the "People of the Book" which also includes Jews and Christians. The Link between these people is the use of the Old Testament.

Muslims are the ones who calls Jews and Christians "People of the Book." They say they believe that Abraham, Moses, Elijah, and Jesus, among others, were prophets, yet the Quran is full of "prophecies" by these people that are not found anywhere else. And, again, Islam rejects the Bible as corrupt. They do NOT follow the Old Testament. See here (first paragraph) for a Muslim's view of the Bible.

padisha emperor said:
And Islam recognize Jesus. They also recognize Moise, Abraham....as prophets.
For them, Jesus is not THE prophet (it is Mahomet) but he's all the same aprophet for them.

Christians recognize Jesus as the Son of God. Islam relegates Him to a prophet. It's more than just semantics. It's a major theological difference.

The Muslims do use the Old Testament. Many of their stories about Moses and the others come from it. They may believe in a different version of the Old Testament then you do (the Coptics and the Anglicans use different old testaments.) And yes the bible has continuously changed. I am pretty sure your bible doesn't have the Book of Enoch (which the Coptics use) in it or the Book of Jubilees (which the Catholics use [I think its the Catholics anyway]), so they have stuff in their version that’s different, do you want to say that the Coptics and the Catholics and the Mormons, and the rest are some how not Christian?

deaddude said:

Dude you need to read the Bible alittle closer. Jesus specifically commands us to judge. Just to be careful that we judge righteously because we will be judged with that same judgment.

Then he is contradicting himself when he says judge not lest ye be judged

Turn the other cheek and if a man would take your cloak remove your coat and give it to him as well.

Those are very non judgmental things to be saying for someone encouraging us to judge.

Dude you need to read the Bible alittle closer. Jesus specifically commands us to judge. Just to be careful that we judge righteously because we will be judged with that same judgment.

hen he is contradicting himself when he says judge not lest ye be judged

Turn the other cheek and if a man would take your cloak remove your coat and give it to him as well.

Those are very non judgmental things to be saying for someone encouraging us to judge.

Is the judgement vs. discermment argument?

Forum List

Back