Pope: Healthcare, an inalienable right of man

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
Pope, church leaders call for guaranteed health care for all people

In a message published by the "Catholic News Service" Pope Benedict XVI and other church leaders said - "it was the moral responsibility of nations to guarantee access to health care for all of their citizens, regardless of social and economic status or their ability to pay." The "Catholic News Service" went on to say: "access to adequate medical attention, the pope said in a written message Nov. 18, was one of the "inalienable rights" of man."

"The pope's message was read by Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone"

It's not just healthcare that the Republican party and the Catholic Church are in disagreement on.

On February 19, 2012 Marc McDonald, contributor to the website Beggarscanbechoosers sez: "Rick Santorum At Odds With Catholic Church On Many Major Issues" then goes on to publish History Professor Juan Cole's list of top ten things that Rick Santorum and the Pope are in virtual total disagreement about.

Juan Cole's list:

1. "So for instance, Pope John Paul II was against anyone going to war against Iraq I think you'll find that Rick Santorum managed to ignore that Catholic teaching.

2. The Conference of Catholic Bishops requires that health care be provided to all Americans. I.e., Rick Santorum’s opposition to universal health care is a betrayal of the Catholic faith he is always trumpeting.

3. The Catholic Church opposes the death penalty for criminals in almost all situations. (Santorum largely supports executions.)

4. The US Conference of Bishops has urged that the federal minimum wage be increased, for the working poor. Santorum in the Senate repeatedly voted against the minimum wage.

5. The bishops want welfare for all needy families, saying "We reiterate our call for a minimum national welfare benefit that will permit children and their parents to live in dignity. A decent society will not balance its budget on the backs of poor children." Santorum is a critic of welfare.

6. The US bishops say that "the basic rights of workers must be respected–the right to productive work, to decent and fair wages, to the organization and joining of unions...". Santorum, who used to be supportive of unions in the 1990s, has now, predictably, turned against them.

7. Catholic bishops demand the withdrawal of Israel from Palestinian territories occupied in 1967. Rick Santorum denies that there are any Palestinians, so I guess he doesn't agree with the bishops on that one.

8. The US Conference of Catholic Bishops ripped into Arizona's law on treatment of immigrants, Cardinal Roger Mahony characterized Arizona's S.B. 1070 as "the country’s most retrogressive, mean-spirited, and useless anti-immigrant law," saying it is based on "totally flawed reasoning: that immigrants come to our country to rob, plunder, and consume public resources." He even suggested that the law is a harbinger of an American Nazism! Santorum attacks 'anchor babies' or the provision of any services to children of illegal immigrants born and brought up in the US.

9. The Bishops have urged that illegal immigrants not be treated as criminals and that their contribution to this country be recognized.

10. The US Conference of Bishops has denounced, as has the Pope, the Bush idea of 'preventive war', and has come out against an attack on Iran in the absence of a real and present threat of an Iranian assault on the US. In contrast, Santorum wants to play Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove and ride the rocket down on Isfahan himself."

Question - why are the one trick ponies, i.e. American Bishops, stuck big government decisions for women?

Please take note not one soulless, heartless, reactionary wingnut, republican, conservative, libertarian Marxist replied. They are all too busy blaming President Obama for the rain among other things. ;)

It's not just healthcare that the Republican party and the Catholic Church are in disagreement on.

On February 19, 2012 Marc McDonald, contributor to the website Beggarscanbechoosers sez: "Rick Santorum At Odds With Catholic Church On Many Major Issues" then goes on to publish History Professor Juan Cole's list of top ten things that Rick Santorum and the Pope are in virtual total disagreement about.

Juan Cole's list:

1. "So for instance, Pope John Paul II was against anyone going to war against Iraq I think you'll find that Rick Santorum managed to ignore that Catholic teaching.

2. The Conference of Catholic Bishops requires that health care be provided to all Americans. I.e., Rick Santorum’s opposition to universal health care is a betrayal of the Catholic faith he is always trumpeting.

3. The Catholic Church opposes the death penalty for criminals in almost all situations. (Santorum largely supports executions.)

4. The US Conference of Bishops has urged that the federal minimum wage be increased, for the working poor. Santorum in the Senate repeatedly voted against the minimum wage.

5. The bishops want welfare for all needy families, saying "We reiterate our call for a minimum national welfare benefit that will permit children and their parents to live in dignity. A decent society will not balance its budget on the backs of poor children." Santorum is a critic of welfare.

6. The US bishops say that "the basic rights of workers must be respected–the right to productive work, to decent and fair wages, to the organization and joining of unions...". Santorum, who used to be supportive of unions in the 1990s, has now, predictably, turned against them.

7. Catholic bishops demand the withdrawal of Israel from Palestinian territories occupied in 1967. Rick Santorum denies that there are any Palestinians, so I guess he doesn't agree with the bishops on that one.

8. The US Conference of Catholic Bishops ripped into Arizona's law on treatment of immigrants, Cardinal Roger Mahony characterized Arizona's S.B. 1070 as "the country’s most retrogressive, mean-spirited, and useless anti-immigrant law," saying it is based on "totally flawed reasoning: that immigrants come to our country to rob, plunder, and consume public resources." He even suggested that the law is a harbinger of an American Nazism! Santorum attacks 'anchor babies' or the provision of any services to children of illegal immigrants born and brought up in the US.

9. The Bishops have urged that illegal immigrants not be treated as criminals and that their contribution to this country be recognized.

10. The US Conference of Bishops has denounced, as has the Pope, the Bush idea of 'preventive war', and has come out against an attack on Iran in the absence of a real and present threat of an Iranian assault on the US. In contrast, Santorum wants to play Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove and ride the rocket down on Isfahan himself."

Question - why are the one trick ponies, i.e. American Bishops, stuck big government decisions for women?

So for instance, Pope John Paul II was against anyone going to war against Iraq I think you'll find that Rick Santorum managed to ignore that Catholic teaching.

The Pope is a Man of Peace. What do you expect Him to say about War and Collateral Damage? If we all thought more like him, there would not be a reason for any war. Where are the rest of the Spiritual Leaders on the subject? Jihad? Just saying.

The Conference of Catholic Bishops requires that health care be provided to all Americans. I.e., Rick Santorum’s opposition to universal health care is a betrayal of the Catholic faith he is always trumpeting.

What is Santorum's position on Emergency Health Care and Clinics? Got a link? Is Health Care an Unalienable Right or a courtesy and benefit of a Civilized Society? Any Grown Up is encouraged to respond.
The Catholic Church opposes the death penalty for criminals in almost all situations. (Santorum largely supports executions.)

I generally oppose it too, with rare exception. Still, the Church wants Members, not Robots. Last time I checked we still have the Right to Our Own Perspective. In matters of Conscience, especially. Maybe it would help matters if Psychopaths were not so easily released from prisons.

The US Conference of Bishops has urged that the federal minimum wage be increased, for the working poor. Santorum in the Senate repeatedly voted against the minimum wage.

Nice gesture. Yet there are ups and downs concerning the raising of the minimum wage, which include higher retail pricing to balance the added cost. Consider that we are mainly talking about entry level jobs here. Any establishment looking to keep good employee's, is going to offer compensation. The Illegal Work Force remains unaffected by the minimum wage.

The bishops want welfare for all needy families, saying "We reiterate our call for a minimum national welfare benefit that will permit children and their parents to live in dignity. A decent society will not balance its budget on the backs of poor children."

Sometimes, even the Church confuses Communion with Communism. What Ya gonna do?
Charity begins at home. There is no substitute for earning your own bread.

The US bishops say that "the basic rights of workers must be respected–the right to productive work, to decent and fair wages, to the organization and joining of unions...". Santorum, who used to be supportive of unions in the 1990s, has now, predictably, turned against them.

You have a Right to seek Employment. Generally when discussing Unalienable Rights, we refer to God Almighty, not the Tooth Faery, not Don Corleone. Maybe the Pope should reconsider his Best Friends for Life list?
Don+Corleone.jpg

Catholic bishops demand the withdrawal of Israel from Palestinian territories occupied in 1967. Rick Santorum denies that there are any Palestinians, so I guess he doesn't agree with the bishops on that one.

Yep, and the Palestinian's demand the withdrawal of Israel from Dry Land. Until the views are reconciled, and Israel guaranteed peaceful existence, the request cannot be taken seriously.

The US Conference of Catholic Bishops ripped into Arizona's law on treatment of immigrants, Cardinal Roger Mahony characterized Arizona's S.B. 1070 as "the country’s most retrogressive, mean-spirited, and useless anti-immigrant law," saying it is based on "totally flawed reasoning: that immigrants come to our country to rob, plunder, and consume public resources." He even suggested that the law is a harbinger of an American Nazism! Santorum attacks 'anchor babies' or the provision of any services to children of illegal immigrants born and brought up in the US.

Border Defense and a comprehensive Immigration Policy, is a Sovereign Right. The problem is actually an Invasion, a disruption, a corruption, to our standard of living. The only thing stemming it right now is the downturn of our economy. Unless the Pope is interested in some cheap slave labor, he might be better served in sticking to matters of Salvation, or distinguishing between what actually is in humanitarian interest. ;) A few hundred thousand one way tickets to Vatican City, might also persuade him to reconsider.

The Bishops have urged that illegal immigrants not be treated as criminals and that their contribution to this country be recognized.

But it is criminal. What is next? Redefining what is Sin? Are we enabling here or seeking real solutions?

The US Conference of Bishops has denounced, as has the Pope, the Bush idea of 'preventive war', and has come out against an attack on Iran in the absence of a real and present threat of an Iranian assault on the US. In contrast, Santorum wants to play Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove and ride the rocket down on Isfahan himself."

I can turn on my TV, and watch Community Program Channels, going off on the Glorious Iran, Armageddon, Nuclear War, and how all the World coming to Worship as Islam Dictates. Where does that come from?

It's a Sanctity of Life Issue.

Please take note not one soulless, heartless, reactionary wingnut, republican, conservative, libertarian Marxist replied. They are all too busy blaming President Obama for the rain among other things. ;)

Midcan, may I suggest a good cup of French Roast, or maybe some Earl Gray?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez6s9Y4aJLI&feature=related]Gato Barbieri Straight Into The Sunrise - YouTube[/ame]
Gato Barbieri Straight Into The Sunrise

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHIjun4Gqyk]Michael Gettel - Lantern in the Dark - YouTube[/ame]
Michael Gettel - Lantern in the Dark

Dominion over the voices Midcan. ;) :lol: :):):)

Got to go with the RCC for consistency when it comes to life.

Anti-war,
Anti-abortion,
Anti-death penalty,
and now, pro-universal health care. :clap2:

Juan Cole's list:

So for instance, Pope John Paul II was against anyone going to war against Iraq I think you'll find that Rick Santorum managed to ignore that Catholic teaching.

The Pope is a Man of Peace. What do you expect Him to say about War and Collateral Damage? If we all thought more like him, there would not be a reason for any war. Where are the rest of the Spiritual Leaders on the subject? Jihad? Just saying.

What is Santorum's position on Emergency Health Care and Clinics? Got a link? Is Health Care an Unalienable Right or a courtesy and benefit of a Civilized Society? Any Grown Up is encouraged to respond.

I generally oppose it too, with rare exception. Still, the Church wants Members, not Robots. Last time I checked we still have the Right to Our Own Perspective. In matters of Conscience, especially. Maybe it would help matters if Psychopaths were not so easily released from prisons.

Nice gesture. Yet there are ups and downs concerning the raising of the minimum wage, which include higher retail pricing to balance the added cost. Consider that we are mainly talking about entry level jobs here. Any establishment looking to keep good employee's, is going to offer compensation. The Illegal Work Force remains unaffected by the minimum wage.

You have a Right to seek Employment. Generally when discussing Unalienable Rights, we refer to God Almighty, not the Tooth Faery, not Don Corleone. Maybe the Pope should reconsider his Best Friends for Life list?

Yep, and the Palestinian's demand the withdrawal of Israel from Dry Land. Until the views are reconciled, and Israel guaranteed peaceful existence, the request cannot be taken seriously.

Border Defense and a comprehensive Immigration Policy, is a Sovereign Right. The problem is actually an Invasion, a disruption, a corruption, to our standard of living. The only thing stemming it right now is the downturn of our economy. Unless the Pope is interested in some cheap slave labor, he might be better served in sticking to matters of Salvation, or distinguishing between what actually is in humanitarian interest. ;) A few hundred thousand one way tickets to Vatican City, might also persuade him to reconsider.

But it is criminal. What is next? Redefining what is Sin? Are we enabling here or seeking real solutions?

The US Conference of Bishops has denounced, as has the Pope, the Bush idea of 'preventive war', and has come out against an attack on Iran in the absence of a real and present threat of an Iranian assault on the US. In contrast, Santorum wants to play Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove and ride the rocket down on Isfahan himself."

I can turn on my TV, and watch Community Program Channels, going off on the Glorious Iran, Armageddon, Nuclear War, and how all the World coming to Worship as Islam Dictates. Where does that come from?

Intense - Thanks for your point by point take on Santorum's forehead to forehead collision with his own religion. Do you believe that Santorum is right to push for an American religious war while being at odds with his own catechism, or do you believe Santorum is an hypocrite for trying to push his own church's beliefs into the American political discourse while not believing/following the catechism(s) of his own self-proclaimed church?

Re-write:
Question - why are the one trick ponies, i.e. American Bishops, stuck on big government making decisions for women?

War is a sanctity of life issue too -- what's your point?

The Church is wrong. Who gives anyone the "right" to take another mans work? If you want healthcare, you must pay for it. It is not a "right".

Juan Cole's list:

Intense - Thanks for your point by point take on Santorum's forehead to forehead collision with his own religion. Do you believe that Santorum is right to push for an American religious war while being at odds with his own catechism, or do you believe Santorum is an hypocrite for trying to push his own church's beliefs into the American political discourse while not believing/following the catechism(s) of his own self-proclaimed church?

Re-write:
Question - why are the one trick ponies, i.e. American Bishops, stuck on big government making decisions for women?

Good question. I think one becomes a Hypocrite when at war with one's own Conscience, saying one thing and doing another. Disagreements with Church position, even Doctrine, are common in all of us, to one degree or another. Think about any organization you belong to, do they control all that you say or do with a ring through your nose, or with a collar and leash. What I would suggest to anyone with major conflict with anything they are associated with, to weigh their options and best interests.

What are the First Concerns of the Church? Salvation. In all things we need to learn to distinguish between God, Church, Society, Individual, and Government. Right? Locke or Madison would say God First in All things, through Conscience. Would I use Someone's Internal Conflict to shut them up? No Way. We Each have issues to work out in this life. Show me 2 people anywhere, totally in agreement on perspective. Do you have more of an obligation to fit in with that of others, or to be true to your own?

The Church is wrong. Who gives anyone the "right" to take another mans work? If you want healthcare, you must pay for it. It is not a "right".

Right. And if the Church want's to reach you in regards to Charity, it is on your terms, not by mandate. :)

Re-write:

Abortion is a Sanctity of Life Issue.

War, if it can be avoided should be, agreed. Playing World Domination, that isn't always so. We like to view our actions as Preemptive. You may have a better argument there. To preserve Life, Liberty, Property, sometimes it takes a fight to get through to the Tyrant. Crimes against Humanity are also terms where we may intervene. In all of this it is critical to not become the Tyrant, right? It's also critical to know when the time for intervention is past.

Forum List

Back