Pope Francis suggests its better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Source: Washington Post

On a typically busy morning at the Vatican, Pope Francis spoke at least twice on Thursday in ways that recognized the values of other religious outlooks while he promoted the faithful practice of Catholicism.

The subject of Francis’s homily at the daily Mass was hypocrisy. He criticized the “scandal” of “saying one thing and doing another.”

“A totally double life: ‘I am very Catholic, I always go to Mass, I belong to this association and that one; but my life is not Christian, I don’t pay my workers a just wage, I exploit people, I am dirty in my business, I launder money …’ A double life. And so many Christians are like this, and these people scandalize others.”

He then quoted a sentiment that he said he has heard expressed repeatedly: “But to be a Catholic like that, it’s better to be an atheist.”

Francis has surprised Catholics before with his warmth toward atheists. He remarked soon after becoming pope that even atheists can go to heaven thanks to the redemption of Jesus. He granted an interview to an atheist journalist, and told the reporter that efforts to convert people to Christianity are “solemn nonsense” and each person “must choose to follow the good and fight evil as he conceives them.”

He has also been friendly toward Jews, particularly through his longtime friend, Argentine Rabbi Abraham Skorka. On Thursday, Skorka led a group of rabbis to the Vatican, where they gave Francis a new edition of the Torah.
Read more: Pope Francis suggests it’s better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic

This pope cares about the poor as much as jesus did. A true man of god!

On a typically busy morning at the Vatican, Pope Francis spoke at least twice on Thursday in ways that recognized the values of other religious outlooks while he promoted the faithful practice of Catholicism.

The subject of Francis’s homily at the daily Mass was hypocrisy. He criticized the “scandal” of “saying one thing and doing another.”

“A totally double life: ‘I am very Catholic, I always go to Mass, I belong to this association and that one; but my life is not Christian, I don’t pay my workers a just wage, I exploit people, I am dirty in my business, I launder money …’ A double life. And so many Christians are like this, and these people scandalize others.”

He then quoted a sentiment that he said he has heard expressed repeatedly: “But to be a Catholic like that, it’s better to be an atheist.”

Francis has surprised Catholics before with his warmth toward atheists. He remarked soon after becoming pope that even atheists can go to heaven thanks to the redemption of Jesus. He granted an interview to an atheist journalist, and told the reporter that efforts to convert people to Christianity are “solemn nonsense” and each person “must choose to follow the good and fight evil as he conceives them.”

He has also been friendly toward Jews, particularly through his longtime friend, Argentine Rabbi Abraham Skorka. On Thursday, Skorka led a group of rabbis to the Vatican, where they gave Francis a new edition of the Torah.
Read more: Pope Francis suggests it’s better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic

The "pope" is a jesuit....ever heard of the "Counter Reformation"? What this pagan religion known as "catholicism" is about and how it is a mixture of paganism with some Biblical references thrown in for good measure? The Vatican, the City Of London (not London Proper), Washington D.C all have some things in common and I bet you don't have the slightest fucking clue nor the significance of it....it requires an I.Q score higher than you possess.....

The "pope" is a jesuit....ever heard of the "Counter Reformation"? What this pagan religion known as "catholicism" is about and how it is a mixture of paganism with some Biblical references thrown in for good measure? The Vatican, the City Of London (not London Proper), Washington D.C all have some things in common and I bet you don't have the slightest fucking clue nor the significance of it....it requires an I.Q score higher than you possess.....
What does your claim have to do with the topic?

The counter reformation began in the Catholic Church BEFORE the reformation. Luther was a Catholic Reformer before he became a Protestant. The Bible did not change at any time. Whatever pagan religion it was before it was still after. When you attack Catholicism because of your bias against Catholicism, you are inadvertently attacking your own faith.

"The term Counter-Reformation denotes the period of Catholic revival from the pontificate of Pope Pius IV in 1560 to the close of the Thirty Years' War, 1648. The name, though long in use among Protestant historians, has only recently been introduced into Catholic handbooks. The consequence is that it already has a meaning and an application, for which a word with a different nuance should perhaps have been chosen. For in the first place the name suggests that the Catholic movement came after the Protestant; whereas in truth the reform originally began in the Catholic Church, and Luther was a Catholic Reformer before he became a Protestant. By becoming a Protestant Reformer, he did indeed hinder the progress of the Catholic reformation, but he did not stop it. It continued to gain headway in the Catholic South until it was strong enough to meet and roll back the movement from the North. Even if our Catholic reform had been altogether posterior to the Protestant, we could not admit that our reform movement owed its motive power or its line of action to the latter, in the way that modern reform movements among Orientals are due to the influence of European thought. For the principles of the Protestant Reformation are to Catholics principles leading to deformation and to the perpetuation of abuses, such as the subservience of Church to State, or the marriage of the clergy, to say nothing of doctrinal error. Both the continuance and correction of the same abuse cannot be due to the same movement. Moreover, it will be seen that the Catholic reform was not even originally due to reaction from Protestantism, in the way In which inert nations are sometimes spurred by initial defeats to increased energy, which In the end may even make them victorious. Though this reaction undoubtedly had its effect on certain Catholic reformers, it had little or no influence on the leaders or on the best representatives of the movement, as, for instance, on St. Ignatius, its pioneer, or on St. Philip Neri and St. Vincent de Paul, exemplars of its maturity...."

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Counter-Reformation

Last edited:

well then most Catholics would be better off as atheists

Maybe, but not filthy militant atheists, lol.

Maybe, but not filthy militant atheists, lol.
I bet you $20 Pope Francis has sucked cock before.

Forum List

Back