Pope: Condom use can be used to justified to halt aids!

the guy in the funny hat says it's ok. I guess I can rest easily now.

You are an ignornamus, get involved. The RCC's opposition to condom use is based on its opposition to contraception and the concession Ratzinger has made concerns the spread of STIs, not the child sex abuse scandals.

Pope Benedict XVI says in a new book that the use of condoms can be justified in some cases, such as for male prostitutes seeking to prevent the spread of HIV.

The pontiff makes the comments in a book-length interview with a German journalist, "Light of the World: The Pope, the Church and the Signs of the Times." The Vatican newspaper ran excerpts of the book Saturday.

Church teaching has long opposed condoms since they're a form of artificial contraception. The Vatican has been harshly criticized for its position given the AIDS crisis.

Benedict said that for male prostitutes - for whom contraception isn't a central issue - condoms are not a moral solution. But he said they could be justified "in the intention of reducing the risk of infection."

Benedict drew unprecedented criticism from European governments, international organizations and scientists in March 2009 when he told reporters while flying to Africa that condoms would not resolve the AIDS problem there but, on the contrary, increase it. The statement was condemned by France, Germany and the U.N. agency charged with fighting AIDS as irresponsible and dangerous.

While opposition to condoms is a long-standing church position, the Vatican felt constrained to step in and say Benedict wanted to stress that a reliance on condoms distracted from the need for proper education in sexual conduct.

The pope also says in the new book that if a pope is physically, psychologically or spiritually [in]capable" of doing his job, then he has the "right, and under some circumstances, also an obligation to resign."

Pope: Condom Use Can Be Justified to Halt AIDS - CBS News

And just FYI, the child sex abuse scandals have nothing whatsoever to do with homosexuality. Homosexuality is sexual desire for an adult of the same gender.

You are an ignornamus, get involved. The RCC's opposition to condom use is based on its opposition to contraception and the concession Ratzinger has made concerns the spread of STIs, not the child sex abuse scandals.

Pope Benedict XVI says in a new book that the use of condoms can be justified in some cases, such as for male prostitutes seeking to prevent the spread of HIV.

The pontiff makes the comments in a book-length interview with a German journalist, "Light of the World: The Pope, the Church and the Signs of the Times." The Vatican newspaper ran excerpts of the book Saturday.

Church teaching has long opposed condoms since they're a form of artificial contraception. The Vatican has been harshly criticized for its position given the AIDS crisis.

Benedict said that for male prostitutes - for whom contraception isn't a central issue - condoms are not a moral solution. But he said they could be justified "in the intention of reducing the risk of infection."

Benedict drew unprecedented criticism from European governments, international organizations and scientists in March 2009 when he told reporters while flying to Africa that condoms would not resolve the AIDS problem there but, on the contrary, increase it. The statement was condemned by France, Germany and the U.N. agency charged with fighting AIDS as irresponsible and dangerous.

While opposition to condoms is a long-standing church position, the Vatican felt constrained to step in and say Benedict wanted to stress that a reliance on condoms distracted from the need for proper education in sexual conduct.

The pope also says in the new book that if a pope is physically, psychologically or spiritually [in]capable" of doing his job, then he has the "right, and under some circumstances, also an obligation to resign."

And just FYI, the child sex abuse scandals have nothing whatsoever to do with homosexuality. Homosexuality is sexual desire for an adult of the same gender.

Hate to burst your bubble bonehead but most Priests are Gay or Pedophiles and the Catholic Church is still evil. You are brainwashed like millions of others.

Hate to burst your bubble bonehead but most Priests are Gay or Pedophiles and the Catholic Church is still evil. You are brainwashed like millions of others.
I think this article highlights a positive step the Catholic church is taking on its position towards contraception, maybe one day they may allow contraceptives to be used by all their members. :)
False, not any more homosexuals and pedophiles than in other institutions. :bsflag:

Last edited:

Most priests, nuns and monks are fine people entirely dedicated to their calling who have never and will never sexually abuse anyone, let alone a child. There was/may still be a pedophile group and they caused serious, even devastating harm.....partially because each has so many victims. The issue needs serious attention and IMO, Ratzinger should resign over it.

But your reaction, just bashing every clergyperson, is almost as stupid.

but just for male prostitutes... i thought that was kind of odd. no?

Mexicans are too stupid to use one. You would have to give them a special course and the Dream Act just to get those filthy people to use the toilet correctly.

Last edited:

Mexicans are too stupid to use one. You would have to give them a special course and the Dream Act just to get those filthy people to use the toilet correctly.
For a moment I thought that racism only exists in the Democratic or Republican convention free speech zones (the areas that contain the people both parties really want to forget exist), parts of the deep south and in the KKK, guess it pops up in this forum too.

Last edited:
It makes perfect sense. Now the Priests don't have to worry about getting aids from Gay sex!

The Catholic church is evil!

Comments on: Pope: Condom Use Can Be Justified to Halt AIDS - CBS News

You don't really get it do you?

The reason this is important is because formerly the position of the RC church was that using condoms was a sin.

This Pope just gave his flock a plausible excuse to use condoms which, just in case you've fogotten, are also highly effective tools for BIRTH CONTROL.

You ought to be thanking this POPE for giving those faithful RC chums of ours, a tool for bith control.

Instead you turn this good news (for ALL of us) into an anti-Papist smear.

428508446FmheWe_ph.jpg

It really baffles me that the Catholic Church is one of the most progressive organized religions in terms of dealing with Science and God up until it comes to reproduction where it is stuck in the 12th century.

It really baffles me that the Catholic Church is one of the most progressive organized religions in terms of dealing with Science and God up until it comes to reproduction where it is stuck in the 12th century.

The 11th Commandment: "Sex is dirty"

maybe because those issues most affect women and the church is patriarchal.

you keep women pregnant, they don't give you a real hard time about not having any power in their religion.

The RC's postions regarding human sexuality have always been somewhat retarded.

That is largely because Chistendom took the position that women were inherently weak and evil.

Not exactly a unique philosophy, we see rather similar patterns of sexism inherent in most primative organized religions.

Last edited:

The 11th Commandment: "Sex is dirty"

i thought that was the eleventh amendment
this is a really dumb infalammatory op but i was looking for a vehicle to ask the board this question without having to post in "religion"
what is the deal with making so many babies ?
in my mind population has always been fuel to flame the earth's relatively short run. we have the technology (old and new)
what's the story?, and don't just one word "education"

Last edited:

you keep women pregnant, they don't give you a real hard time about not having any power in their religion.

When it comes to issues related to sex, the Catholic Church still thinks of it as a necessary evil but never something to be done for enjoyment

When it comes to issues related to sex, the Catholic Church still thinks of it as a necessary evil but never something to be done for enjoyment

i always heard, wait till your wedding night then, pretend you enjoy it...
it's like the kush, it's only illegal if you enjoy it....

Forum List

Back