Pope calls Nazism "Atheist Extremism"

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Father Time, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Father Time

Father Time I'll be Still Alive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I'm not sure if he really believes that crap or if he's just trying to stir shit up for whatever reason but...

Even in our own lifetime, we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live. I also recall the regime’s attitude to Christian pastors and religious who spoke the truth in love, opposed the Nazis and paid for that opposition with their lives. As we reflect on the sobering lessons of the atheist extremism of the twentieth century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus to a “reductive vision of the person and his destiny” (Caritas in Veritate, 29).

Papal Visit 2010: Pope’s Holyroodhouse speech – full text|CatholicHerald.co.uk

(Video)
    BBC News - Row after Pope's remarks on atheism and Nazis

So how does one get to "there is no God" to eugenics, book burnings, treating Jews (and specifically Jews) as an inferior race etc?

My guess is LSD.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. rikules

rikules fighting thugs and cons

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +305

This pope is either very uneducated on the subject or he is purposely lying

hitler and the nazis PROMOTED religion (in particular protestantism and catholicism)
    amongst his followers

there are many instances/cases (documents, meetings, pictures)
    of hitler meeting with the pope and establishing "arrangements" and "agreements"

I guess the pope of that day did NOT stand AGAINST nazi tyranny...
    but, instead, stood WITH IT

Of course...
    the pope needs to defend and protect catholism/religion else, if enough people stopped believing in god/religion he might have to actually work for a living!

and getting free money and living in opulence must be very attactive to him

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  3. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    You two are a perfect team. Dumb & Dumber, Tweedle Dum & Tweedle Dee, Raggedy Ann & Andy.

Yeah, the pope..he's DUMB!

Lol.

4. Father Time

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Wow that sure showed me the error of my ways </sarcasm>

If you don't have anything of value to add, don't bother posting

5. Father Time

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
  6. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,802
    He's probably trying to deflect for the condoning of pedophile priests by the Catholic Church.

Helloooo Popie, your predecessor was in bed with Hitler you lying sack of shit.

7. rikules

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +305
    It's truly nice to see that you, too, have joined in the crusade to behave in a more polite and civilized manner.

I certainly appreciate the fact that you were able to provide rational opinions and defend them with facts and information......

as opposed to just insulting, mocking and ridiculing with out providing any real substance

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I'm sorry, yours and FT's contribution to this thread was to assert that he was on drugs and stupid.

That's certainly a measured, appropriate and impressive stance! You guys ROCK!

9. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    I think you're pretty much right, but it's also not that cut and dry. Hilter did meet with the Holy See a few times. Lutherans were big supporters in brining the Third Reich to power.

Hilter and the Nazis used religion as a tool to secure power. That was the end game. Jehovah's Witnesses were sent to concentration camps. Protestants weren't uniform in supporting the Nazis. Reverends and church leaders were jailed if they spoke out against the State.

The Nazi's promoted the religious sects of Christianity that goose-stepped along with the Party's ideals at the time, but not religion in general. And the churches probably didn't know about the the death camps because they were largely hidden from the German public. The Jews and Communists and all the others just "disappeared"... like when a kid believes his dog is getting sent to the farm upstate.

10. rikules

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +305
    "I'm sorry, yours and FT's contribution to this thread was to assert that he was on drugs and stupid."

NOT mine!

My response was/is;

1. the nazis/hitler had agreements with the pope/catholics
    2. the nazis/hitler were big believers in religion and promoted it (and other traditional family values) as "good aryanism"
    (which is NOT to suggest that hitler was NOT an atheist....merely that he USED religion to help solidify his populace/aryan base)
    3. it is unfair/wrong to equate atheism with naziism; I am a non-believer in gods and religions but I also would NEVER defend or participate in anything as evil as naziism