Pope blames Canada's low birth rate on godlessness

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
The Associated Press
Pope Benedict said Saturday that low birth rates in Canada are the result of the "pervasive effects of secularism" and asked the country's bishops to counter the trend by preaching "with passion" the truth of Christ.

The Pontiff's comments to visiting bishops from Canada echoed his statements last month to members of the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences, when he said that a lack of true love was behind an increase in failed marriages and a decrease in birth rates in much of the developed world.

"Like many countries . . . Canada is today suffering from the pervasive effects of secularism," Benedict said, speaking in English.

"The attempt to promote a vision of humanity apart from God's transcendent order and indifferent to Christ's beckoning light removes from the reach of ordinary men and women the experience of genuine hope," the Pope said. "One of the more dramatic symptoms of this mentality, clearly evident in your own region, is the plummeting birth rate."

Canada's birth rate in 2005 was 10.5 births for every 1,000 people, according to Statistics Canada.

Benedict blamed the low birth rate on social ills and moral ambiguities that result from secular ideology. He added that "Canadians look to you to be men of hope, preaching and teaching with passion the splendour of the truth of Christ who dispels the darkness and illuminates the way to renew ecclesiastical and civic life, educating consciences and teaching the authentic dignity of the person and human society."

Benedict has spoken out several times in favour of large families and called for legislation to help support families with children. (Subsidize it)

Link

He's right.

Religious fanatics have a high birth rate, look at Muslims and Hadids.

Perhaps he should preach this at the Italians who have the lowest birth rate in the industrial world.

I blame Canada's low birth rate on sanity.

Sure.. I could see that - I don't know about you but EVERY sane person I know of wouldn't want to procreate to keep their own kind going.. sure.. that gels just dandy with the laws of nature and God... NOT....

People don't have kids because they:

1. Can't - do to biological reasons

or

2. They're selfish - i.e their so into what their own agenda's are that they forget some of the greatest joys once can experience is from fatherhood/motherhood and the idea of having kids would somehow "ruin" their own selfish ambitions.

or

2. They're selfish - i.e their so into what their own agenda's are that they forget some of the greatest joys once can experience is from fatherhood/motherhood and the idea of having kids would somehow "ruin" their own selfish ambitions.

or 3. because they have been conditioned to think that the earth is being overpopulated.

Personally I think that they are wrong, although it wouldn't bother me in the least if there were less people around.

Sure.. I could see that - I don't know about you but EVERY sane person I know of wouldn't want to procreate to keep their own kind going.. sure.. that gels just dandy with the laws of nature and God... NOT....

or

Thanks for the uninformed sarcasm. There will be almost 400 million people in the US by the year 2040, just thirty-three years from now. http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/usinterimproj/natprojtab01a.pdf That is one-third more people than are here now! In the face of declining resources, most people can grasp the negative consequences of high population growth, even if you cannot.

Thanks for the uninformed sarcasm. There will be almost 400 million people in the US by the year 2040, just thirty-three years from now. http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/usinterimproj/natprojtab01a.pdf That is one-third more people than are here now! In the face of declining resources, most people can grasp the negative consequences of high population growth, even if you cannot.

Right that's why they don't have kids, but they drive around in SUV's in the suburbs, eat nothing but pre packaged food, don't recycle, and vote for politicians who want to trash the environment to help big business. :confused:

Forum List

Back