Pope Benedict XVI begins US visit

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Throngs of people cheered as the plane bearing Pope Benedict XVI touched down at Andrews Air Force Base outside Washington on Tuesday, for the pontiff's first visit to the United States since he was elected head of the Roman Catholic Church.

President George Bush, First Lady Laura Bush and their daughter, Jenna, greeted Pope Benedict with handshakes as he stepped off the plane and onto a red carpet flanked by U.S. military personnel in dress uniform. The pope waved and extended his hand to waiting cardinals and other clergy members.

During the pontiff's six-day visit, he is scheduled to celebrate open-air masses in Washington and New York. He will also address leaders of Catholic colleges, meet representatives from other religions, and pray at the site where the World Trade Centers stood before September 11, 2001.

Some experts believe the highlight of Pope Benedict's visit will be his speech to the United Nations on Friday.

While in the U.S., the pope will mark two personal milestones. His 81st birthday is Wednesday. This Saturday will mark the third anniversary of his election as pontiff.

http://voanews.com/english/2008-04-15-voa53.cfm

As a disenfranchised catholic, I don't trust him. I used to really believe that crap about the cardinals all praying for guidance and then sending up the white smoke.

It's all about political power in the church, or so it seems to me. When one of their big guys said that they couldn't just admit to the sexual abuse because it would financially bankrupt the church, I wanted to ask him if that was worse than morraly bankrupt.

Hell, it's probably the maryjuana they are smoking. That gives white smoke, right?:eusa_think:

Never got to try it in the Marine Corp, only confiscate in on Barracks Inspections.
:rofl:

Every since the Catholic Church made pollution and pedophilia on the same level of sin, I've had a hard time giving a rat's ass about anything they do.

I always did think that dogmas that claimed a single leader is the spokeman of god were a bit loony.

I'll bet it just fries the sorry asses of all those secular, anti-religion, anti-Christian, anti-Catholic hate-mongers that the Pope is having such a successful visit....it indicates that the U.S. population is still quite religious and...dare I say....GOD is still alive and well.....:rofl:

Pope treated like rock star at New York youth rally
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...419/pope_mass_080419/20080419?hub=CTVNewsAt11

I'll bet it just fries the sorry asses of all those secular, anti-religion, anti-Christian, anti-Catholic hate-mongers that the Pope is having such a successful visit....it indicates that the U.S. population is still quite religious and...dare I say....GOD is still alive and well.....:rofl:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...419/pope_mass_080419/20080419?hub=CTVNewsAt11

Yes, we are all getting drunk to overcome the horror.

are you still making stuff up, deciding the "left" believes it and then congratulating yourself for your "insight"?

Why don't you try asking, psycho boy... actually... whty don't you actually try reading? Not a single person had an objection to the pope's visit. I don't quite understand it, myself, but who cares? He doesn't hurt anyone and people felt good.

But keep trying to pretend you know anything at all. it's kind of embarrassing for you.

are you still making stuff up, deciding the "left" believes it and then congratulating yourself for your "insight"?

Why don't you try asking, psycho boy... actually... whty don't you actually try reading? Not a single person had an objection to the pope's visit. I don't quite understand it, myself, but who cares? He doesn't hurt anyone and people felt good.

But keep trying to pretend you know anything at all. it's kind of embarrassing for you.

WTF are you talking about?

Where is the left mentioned in that post....?
Where is ScreamingEagle boasting about insight?
What didn't he read that you think he should have?
What did he say about anyone objecting to the popes visit?

WTF are you talking about?

Where is the left mentioned in that post....?
Where is ScreamingEagle boasting about insight?
What didn't he read that you think he should have?
What did he say about anyone objecting to the popes visit?

Oh... I guess maybe you need to understand SE hate speech...

who do you think he was referring to when he said "secular, anti-religion, anti-Christian, anti-Catholic hate-mongers"? the rabid religious right? i don't think so! SE's been ranting about the secular left for all the years i've been on this board...

Did you even read the post I was responding to?

Doubtful.

Well first we have American companies that own the stadium, I did see that tickets were sold for this event, and there was a lot of fund raising done by Catholic school kids to attend. Security must have been expensive of course, probably a little more then for a ball game. The original intent of separation of church and state was to not have undue influence or control of the government in politics. Otherwise you could also conclude that the Bush administration's push for religious based social programs over the last few years was also in conflict. Now how do you suppose that 150,000 people could take the Eucharist from one 82 year old man?

Forum List

Back