"Poor" Families shelling out $4.2 million for cell phone storage

I teach in a right to work state. That means no unions. They can't fire me on the spot without cause, but they can make up a story if they want.

I teach in Virgina. My system is represented by two different unions. That is if we choose to join of course.

I teach in a right to work state. That means no unions. They can't fire me on the spot without cause, but they can make up a story if they want.

I teach in Virgina. My system is represented by two different unions. That is if we choose to join of course.

I teach in the county directly to your left.

We have an association and not a union.

We have the choice to join or not and we can't strike.

We also haven't had raises in 3 years

I hear you. Our union ain't worth crap. Two years without a raise. This coming year our one percent raise is to cover the extra money we will have to pay into retirement. I'm not complaining though. I love the job and still do it for one very important reason. June.

Pretty typical. In our state our supt. of public instruction has said if 80% of your kids pass the test it means, because of that percentage, 20% of that school's faculty has to be evaluated as ineffective. If that doesn't happen then the principal is ineffective.

This has all teachers in Indiana ready to scream and out knocking on doors campaigning against the Indiana supt. of public instruction. He is very anti-teacher. Probably because when he was a teacher he stunk....
This bozo is up for re-election this year and we are doing all we can to see he is put out to pasture.

Last edited:
I think everyone should have a mobile phone. If these kids need help, all they need to do is call. Not everyone can get to a payphone, and mobile phones are convenient - as most of us own one.

As to people claiming that the 'poor' are not really poor at all because they have a TV and a refrigerator, we must accept that television is not a luxury these days, its standard. Same with the fridge, the microwave, washing machine etc. All standard. After all, you need to cook and wash your clothes, don't you?

30 years ago, it might have been considered a luxury to own a television, but nowadays, its a luxury to own an iPad, an iPod, and all that other fancy stuff. Yet in another 20 years, all that will drop in price and will be standard in most homes.

I think everyone should have a mobile phone. If these kids need help, all they need to do is call. Not everyone can get to a payphone, and mobile phones are convenient - as most of us own one.

As to people claiming that the 'poor' are not really poor at all because they have a TV and a refrigerator, we must accept that television is not a luxury these days, its standard. Same with the fridge, the microwave, washing machine etc. All standard. After all, you need to cook and wash your clothes, don't you?

30 years ago, it might have been considered a luxury to own a television, but nowadays, its a luxury to own an iPad, an iPod, and all that other fancy stuff. Yet in another 20 years, all that will drop in price and will be standard in most homes.

The places i always rented had a stove and refrigerator.
I used a laundromat.
Drove used cars all my life.
Uesed rabbit eaars to get TV reception at first.

but i never received public assistance. . That is the point.

If you can afford a mobile phone for your kid and phone storage why can't you afford to buy food too. We are talking about the free and reduced lunch crowd here.

The places i always rented had a stove and refrigerator.
I used a laundromat.
Drove used cars all my life.
Uesed rabbit eaars to get TV reception at first.

but i never received public assistance. . That is the point.

If you can afford a mobile phone for your kid and phone storage why can't you afford to buy food too. We are talking about the free and reduced lunch crowd here.

I used to use the laundromat too when I first moved out of home, until I got a second hand washing machine. My gran bought my fridge and my first computer, the microwave was $10 at Cash Converters and I only had a portable fan to keep cool.
I still have the same ancient phone I had 5 years ago - it doesn't have the internet, all I use it for is texting, and I pay $12 a month for it. The laptop I am using I bought after my old computer died after five years, and I am saving for a deposit on a 'new' car.

I don't think kids need to have these fancy phones with Facebook and the like, just a phone they can use to dial a number, or text. That is all. A pay as you go phone would be appropriate.

Basically poor in America means that one is either living from paycheck to paycheck or worse.

It probably means having enough to eat and a roof over one's head if one is accepting government aid.

Poor means being better off than the destitute.

now you are making things up
no, no I'm not Squeeze (box)....I'm just pointing out that what is considered to be poor changes and keeps up with the times and things that were at one time objectionable for the poor to have became acceptable, and the other 'newest things' took their place....

for my age group, it was a tv the poor shouldn't be able to own or a small transistor radio, for my dad's time it was a Radio in the home, or a phonograph....now it's a cell phone, next a smart phone, next an ebook reader....a kindle, a laptop, cable tv, nexflix, computer games....society advances and those advancements trickle down, generation after generation...

can you direct us to any laws proitibg the poor from owning those things?

if you have the money you can own it is what I can remember

the point is, if you can afford those things don't whine about how bad you have it
The complaint is not the $12 bucks a month cost for the cell phone, the complaint is the for 'the dollar a day fee' that certain school districts are charging for off campus storage... "some" can NOT afford it....not all, but some....and most of the middle class families are forking out that money for their kids to have a phone that the parents can reach them at....no where in that article posted for this thread did it say that the $4.2 'gazillion' was money spent solely by the poor for their phones.

And,

I do not believe cell phones should be in use during school hours for these children...I think they should have to be kept in their lockers, with NO fee.

And if those schools can not make these children keep their phones off and in their lockers during school hours, then I'd say the School has a bigger disciplinary issue with its students than just cell phone rebellion....and the School should address that...and get to the root of their and their student's problems.

Last edited:
no, no I'm not Squeeze (box)....I'm just pointing out that what is considered to be poor changes and keeps up with the times and things that were at one time objectionable for the poor to have became acceptable, and the other 'newest things' took their place....

for my age group, it was a tv the poor shouldn't be able to own or a small transistor radio, for my dad's time it was a Radio in the home, or a phonograph....now it's a cell phone, next a smart phone, next an ebook reader....a kindle, a laptop, cable tv, nexflix, computer games....society advances and those advancements trickle down, generation after generation...

can you direct us to any laws proitibg the poor from owning those things?

if you have the money you can own it is what I can remember

the point is, if you can afford those things don't whine about how bad you have it
The complaint is not the $12 bucks a month cost for the cell phone, the complaint is the for 'the dollar a day fee' that certain school districts are charging for off campus storage... "some" can NOT afford it....not all, but some....and most of the middle class families are forking out that money for their kids to have a phone that the parents can reach them at....no where in that article posted for this thread did it say that the $4.2 'gazillion' was money spent solely by the poor for their phones.

And,

I do not believe cell phones should be in use during school hours for these children...I think they should have to be kept in their lockers, with NO fee.

And if those schools can not make these children keep their phones off and in their lockers during school hours, then I'd say the School has a bigger disciplinary issue with its students than just cell phone rebellion....and the School should address that...and get to the root of their and their student's problems.

the root of the problems is parents who will notgive consequences for their child;s behavior.

If one of my parents had to be called into the school to pick up a confiscated cell phone, I may not have gotten it back.

PS we did not have cell phones in my day and I didn't get abducted or anything

PS kids use cell phones less for communicating with their parents than causing trouble with them

And,

Excellent points - I do agree that the phones should be kept in a locker, without a fee, and that schools these days are lacking when it comes to disciplining students.

And,

Excellent points - I do agree that the phones should be kept in a locker, without a fee, and that schools these days are lacking when it comes to disciplining students.

because the parents act like the kid's lawyer and not a parent.

Read post #28 for a true story

PS recently our cell phone policy changed from " cell phones off and away"

to "off and away when in class"

The problem was that we would have been confiscating 500 phones a day and potentially that many parents would come into the school and complain about how the school is picking on their innocent child.

Last edited:

And,

The problem was that we would have been confiscating 500 phones a day and potentially that many parents would come into the school and complain about how the school is picking on their innocent child.
Are ALL parents as you describe? Or is it only a handful?

certianly not all.

I'm going to say about 20%

certianly not all.

Well, my husband and I were never blessed with being able to have children, so I can only go by what I experienced as a child and with my mom and dad.

Seems to me, that there is not enough involvement with teachers and parents now a days. And this could be, because women are working jobs outside of the home and there is not the time that there used to be for moms and dads to get involved....

But if the school could somehow get parents more involved, then the 80% that are decent parents could shun the other 20% in to being responsible for their children and children's behavior instead of rebellious like their own child?

the good parents are just keeping silent, and that's the problem...imho

Yep. Whenever my students complain about something (justified or not), I always say "You should write a letter to the school board." or "You should contact the governor". I have little patience anymore for whiners who think if they don't like the rules, they can just disobey them. That goes for the kids, their parents, and the teachers who don't enforce them. It messes with student's' heads when all the adults are on different pages.

certianly not all.

Well, my husband and I were never blessed with being able to have children, so I can only go by what I experienced as a child and with my mom and dad.

Seems to me, that there is not enough involvement with teachers and parents now a days. And this could be, because women are working jobs outside of the home and there is not the time that there used to be for moms and dads to get involved....

But if the school could somehow get parents more involved, then the 80% that are decent parents could shun the other 20% in to being responsible for their children and children's behavior instead of rebellious like their own child?

the good parents are just keeping silent, and that's the problem...imho

it's not that the parents are not involved in my school.

It's that they can sometimes be involved for the wrong reasons.

another example:

A parent was drilling a teacher about why their child got a 95% for the semester instead of a 100%. The meeting took over 2 hours the teacher did not have.

Any time a student is suspended the parents almost always appeal to the school board. That means loads of paperwork and ass covering prior to the suspension.

Special ed parents are famous for wanting everything under the sun for their child " what are you going to do to find friends for my child?"

Last edited:

Forum List

Back