Pontificating President says no deal; GOP must "budge."

Good for Boehner..... Maybe we can get rid of the AMT, EIC, death tax etc while we're at it?

If you think the long-term way to get us out of the hole we're in now is just to cut spending then you're not looking at the bigger picture.

Even Reagan closed tax loopholes and raised taxes.

Reagan raised taxes IN A RECESSION. And that was BEFORE all that wonderful growth that Reagan worshippers love to rave about ever happened.
Even this anti- Reagan biased news story the writer allowed for the fact that while Reagan ( with a combative democrat controlled Congress to deal with) raised taxes 11 times, those increases only went to make up for about half of the tax reductions Reagan was able to get done.
Ronald Reagan Myth Doesn't Square with Reality - Political Hotsheet - CBS News.
And the article( CBS NEWS) never mentioned once anything about the increases being done during a recession.
In the 80's, we were in much worse shape than today. We had just gone through a 5 year period of "stagflation" which was preceded by massive inflation. We had double digit interest rates which tightened credit so much, that very few Americans were being approved for loans where rates were under 15%.
We are in an economic rut because we have a presidential administration that is attempting to remake the country the way it sees fit.

Cut loopholes.. fine. Cut spending.... come to me for higher taxes when you've exhausted all else and you can justify why the government needs more than 35% of my income.

Except on average, the people who are in the 35% income bracket rarely pay that amount. I remember reading the average is somewhere around 23% with those making more than $10 million pay 19%.

Oh please. Facts state otherwise.
The top 10% of all wage earners pay about 70% of the total tax burden.
Almost half of the wage earners pay ZERO federal income tax.
So don't give us this shit about paying a "fair share".
No nation has ever been able to tax itself into prosperity.

Why do you guys always respond like that? It's so cowardly and dishonest. If we mention a possible source of tax revenue, you always take it to an extreme of "Well, even if we tax that source 90% or 100% ... " Are you seriously that anti-anything-Democrats-say that you refuse to acknowledge that they are talking about MULTIPLE sources so that the increases in any one source would be minimal?

I don't care how 'minimal" any tax increase is. I want my taxes lowered, not increased. it's time for the useless tics riding in the wagon to get out and walk.

There is no justification for any tax increases, period.

"I don't see a path to a deal if they don't budge. Period," the president said in a challenge to his political opponents, accusing Republicans of having a "my way or the highway" posture.

Correct.

The GOP needs to abandon this idiocy of paying for tax cuts for the wealthy by taking from the working middle class, the elderly, and disabled. The tax cuts create no jobs, business owners have no interest in hiring when they’ve learned to do more with less and are unsure of the economy’s stability given the GOP’s position on the debt ceiling. They see no reason to invest in job growth when Republicans seem serious about allowing the Nation to default.

As long as you persist with this myth about the GOP cutting taxes for the wealthy you will never get anywhere, except neg repped for stupidity.

"I don't see a path to a deal if they don't budge. Period," the president said in a challenge to his political opponents, accusing Republicans of having a "my way or the highway" posture.

Correct.

The GOP needs to abandon this idiocy of paying for tax cuts for the wealthy by taking from the working middle class, the elderly, and disabled. The tax cuts create no jobs, business owners have no interest in hiring when they’ve learned to do more with less and are unsure of the economy’s stability given the GOP’s position on the debt ceiling. They see no reason to invest in job growth when Republicans seem serious about allowing the Nation to default.
Because increasing taxes on job creators will not make so much as a dent in the federal deficit, the class envy card is no longer an acceptable argument for tax increases. Try something else.
If the debt ceiling is not raised, the nation will not default. It will simply lose the ability to continue borrowing. Which means, the federal government can no longer create more debt. That's a good thing.
$14 trillion in deficits....Enough.
This problem of massive deficits and revolving debt could be solved.
The US has more oil and natural gas reserves under it's soil and offshore than any other nation on the planet. We could be the richest nation on earth if politicians had the balls to tell the enviro nazis instead of hugging those tress you can go piss up a tree because it's over for your dirt eating fucks. We then start getting our stuff out of the ground and get it to market.
The federal government owns WAY too much land. Some of it needs to be sold off.
Federal government is running things that should be done by the states or private sector.

A pointless number when not in context. As I've shown, if you make $100,000 and I make $50,000 and we both pay 10% tax, then that's $10,000 for you and $5,000 for me for a total of $15,000. Of which, you pay 67%. Clearly you need a tax cut? Right?
But they pay other federal taxes. Why don't you guys ever admit that?

6 months ago Obama said that increasing taxes on job creators would cost on million jobs. So how is it that today increasing taxes is the thing to do?

Because I don't think he wants to raise taxes on job creators. It's the other people who make millions and don't create jobs.

There are no such people. They're liberal myth, like "clean energy" and Democrats who understand economics.

A pointless number when not in context. As I've shown, if you make $100,000 and I make $50,000 and we both pay 10% tax, then that's $10,000 for you and $5,000 for me for a total of $15,000. Of which, you pay 67%. Clearly you need a tax cut? Right?

Clearly the claim that he "isn't paying his fair share" is complete bullshit.

6 months ago Obama said that increasing taxes on job creators would cost on million jobs. So how is it that today increasing taxes is the thing to do?

Because I don't think he wants to raise taxes on job creators. It's the other people who make millions and don't create jobs.
Painting with that broad brush( tax the wealthy) will ensnare job creators.
Obama has his base convinced he is taxing only the idle rich. Not true.
Obama's intention is to nail everyone that is in the top bracket. To make up for the higher taxes, lots of small business owner are going to downsize and have to let employees go or they may go out of business.

There are no such people. They're liberal myth, like "clean energy" and Democrats who understand economics.

Tom Cruise made over $1M last year. How many" real jobs" do you think he created?

Tom Cruise made over $1M last year. How many" real jobs" do you think he created?

Created is a slippery term.

But he sure had a hand in a LOT of people having work.

But they pay other federal taxes. Why don't you guys ever admit that?
Excise taxes, federal fees and the like are based on purchasing choices. Those include but are limited to cell phone and internet services.
There are federal taxes on tires as well. The amount of federal fees and taxes are insignificant when compared to income taxes...PLUS, many people who do not pay federal income taxes get large credits and refunds.
Oh these taxes are based on how much one spends. So it would be logical to assume that the more they spend, the more taxes they pay.
That pretty much tosses your argument into the abyss.
Your example is unrealistic.
First, the rate paid by the higher earner is higher than the lower. So your point there is pretty pointless.
There is no "tax cut". The issue is a tax increase.

Created is a slippery term.

But he sure had a hand in a LOT of people having work.
hmm..Let's see. Ever look at the lengthy list of people in the movie credits? Or all the people associated with the making of a film that are not in the credits. Costume designers, vehicle rental companies, security firms, insurance companies, aircraft operators and support staff. Did Cruise create those jobs by himself? No. Indirectly, yes......Tons of people

The GOP is acting as if they have a 100% mandate to get 100% of their agenda on the budget.

That's mental.

What's mental is thinking borrowing more money is the way to go... THAT'S mental.

No, that's not correct. Borrowing money when interest rates are at an all time low is not necessarily that bad an idea.

What IS mental is being SO intransigent and SO unwilling to compromise, that your party is actually prepared to possibly default on the debt (partially, at least) thereby driving up interest rates not JUST on the debt, which will result in 100s of billions in more interest payments (which taxpayers ultimately would have to pay), but also raise interest rates on all Americans' debt. Guess what would happen then? Higher deficits and probably massive tax increases to pay for it.

Well, is it "mental" if the ultimate goal is to "drown the government in the bathtub"?

Cut spending... share that with your heroes in the American Communist Party that is now the Democrats.

Spending cuts have already been proposed.
And if the democrats had their way, spending cuts would be off the table.
Case and point, the GOP wanted 100 billion dollars cut from the most recent budget proposal. The democrats got up in front of microphones and labeled the cuts "draconian".

That's not the point, though, is it...

Spending cuts are on the table.

Spending cuts have already been proposed.
And if the democrats had their way, spending cuts would be off the table.
Case and point, the GOP wanted 100 billion dollars cut from the most recent budget proposal. The democrats got up in front of microphones and labeled the cuts "draconian".

That's not the point, though, is it...

Spending cuts are on the table.

Good.

That's ALL that should be on the table.

There's plenty of hard work to do with very painful decisions yet to be made.

Let's not make things harder by tangling this all up with issues of raising debt limits or increasing ANY taxation of any kind.

Focus.

We must cut spending MASSIVELY and immediately.

So, where's the budget?

We are still operating on a continuing resolution.

And, now this bullshit - raising the debt ceiling? Get the fucking budget done!

Forum List

Back