Pontificating President says no deal; GOP must "budge."

I want to watch the Yankees on YES.

My wife wants to watch ANYTHING but the Yankees.

We disagree.

She says, "let's compromise." That always SOUNDS mature.

I say, "what is your proposed 'compromise?' "

She says, "let's agree on what we watch."

I say, "that's not a compromise since you will not agree to the one thing I wish to see. That's a flat out loss for me."

She accuses me of not being willing to compromise.

She's wrong. She thinks like a liberal.

Obama's concept of compromise: Head's he wins; Tails the GOP loses.

Boehner shouldn't agree to a sucker's compromise.

I think its more posturing, they are all jockeying for position, I will say I find it politically ill-advised to paint himself into a corner.

if the reps say ok to 'revenue' plus agreement, as they craft a short term fix, he'll still say no?

If the Republicans agree, now, to ANY tax increase, the President will take credit for "forcing" their hands.

The conservatives and responsible Republicans and any sane Democrat Congressman SHOULD now REFUSE to do anything but vote on MASSIVE spending cuts. They should call the President on his game of "chicken" by firmly declaring, "No to any new taxes of any kind in any form. And no to a debt ceiling increase."

Make that officious idiot be the one to blink.
And the democrats will gain the political cover they have been looking for.
Obama's and the political Left's idea of compromise, is "you'll do it our way or we will use your reluctance to do things our way against you"..
This how democrats operate. They operate this way because their policies are bad for the country and so very unpopular.
Everyone with half a brain knows that increasing taxes with no explanation other than "the wealthy do not pay enough" is not good for the country.
The democrats have not explained why it is they seek more money from Americans. They have just said they want it. That's not good enough.
The democrats need to be forced to come clean and tell the truth. They need to say "we want higher taxes because it will help us get reelected. Because THAT is the real reason why the democrats want more. They want be to able to go back to their constituents and tell them "see ,we smacked the rich with new taxes. Just like we told you. Now remember it was the republicans that agreed to raise taxes. Not us".....And of course the useful idiots on the left will like lemmings vote for them..

It's about time Obama grew a pair. The last thing the GOP needs right now is to carry the "no compromise" label into the 2012 campaign season, especially if the US ends up defaulting on it's debt, causing a worse economy than we already have.
That "defaulting on debt" is a whole bunch of who shot john...Democrat scare tactics.

lets just remember a few things....one time comments or stances of obama;

-Obama is on a path for way more debt in 4 year than bush in 8

-He said no spending cuts to accommodate the rest of the 2011 budget ( worked out last April ala ending the ongoing resolutions due to no budget ending done in 2010 for this year)

-No spending cuts ala his the clean bill option for increasing the debt limit, sans any cuts.

-He said just last week the 2 sides were never more far apart

-And what democratic leader ever express sppt for the medicare age change or cuts?

-Oh and Boehner says tax increases never were on the table

thank you Britt;)

Cut loopholes.. fine. Cut spending.... come to me for higher taxes when you've exhausted all else and you can justify why the government needs more than 35% of my income.

Except on average, the people who are in the 35% income bracket rarely pay that amount. I remember reading the average is somewhere around 23% with those making more than $10 million pay 19%.

as defined by obama the rich constitute anyone making 200k as a single and 250k as a couple...

they are in those brackets.....

-He said no spending cuts to accommodate the rest of the 2011 budget ( worked out last April ala ending the ongoing resolutions due to no budget ending done in 2010 for this year)

-No spending cuts ala his the clean bill option for increasing the debt limit, sans any cuts.

-And what democratic leader ever express sppt for the medicare age change or cuts?

thank you Britt;)

And let's not forget that he also increased the size of government by 25% in his first term. He's already gotten his spending. Asking everyone to sacrifice when much of the country has already done so since the financial crisis hit is just adding insult to injury.

Let those who profited the most from this increase in government spending do the sacrificing now. It's their turn.

"I don't see a path to a deal if they don't budge. Period," the president said in a challenge to his political opponents, accusing Republicans of having a "my way or the highway" posture.

Correct.

The GOP needs to abandon this idiocy of paying for tax cuts for the wealthy by taking from the working middle class, the elderly, and disabled. The tax cuts create no jobs, business owners have no interest in hiring when they’ve learned to do more with less and are unsure of the economy’s stability given the GOP’s position on the debt ceiling. They see no reason to invest in job growth when Republicans seem serious about allowing the Nation to default.

The GOP is acting as if they have a 100% mandate to get 100% of their agenda on the budget.

That's mental.

What's mental is thinking borrowing more money is the way to go... THAT'S mental.

No, that's not correct. Borrowing money when interest rates are at an all time low is not necessarily that bad an idea.

What IS mental is being SO intransigent and SO unwilling to compromise, that your party is actually prepared to possibly default on the debt (partially, at least) thereby driving up interest rates not JUST on the debt, which will result in 100s of billions in more interest payments (which taxpayers ultimately would have to pay), but also raise interest rates on all Americans' debt. Guess what would happen then? Higher deficits and probably massive tax increases to pay for it.

The dope we put into the Oval Office is now publicly playing a national game of "chicken":

President Barack Obama declared on Monday there would be no deal on raising the government's debt limit if Republicans won't compromise, and he said he would not sign a short-term extension — raising the stakes on volatile negotiations with the clock ticking toward an Aug. 2 deadline.

"I don't see a path to a deal if they don't budge. Period," the president said in a challenge to his political opponents, accusing Republicans of having a "my way or the highway" posture.

Asked whether or not he would veto legislation temporarily increasing the debt ceiling, the president said: "I will not sign a 30-day, or 60-day, or 90-day extension."

--
Obama challenges GOP to compromise on debt - Yahoo! News

EXCELLENT!

I say let's play chicken with Dumbo.
He criticized politicians who say the debt ceiling doesn't need to be raised. "It's irresponsible. They know better," Obama said.

Wrong. What's irresponsible is trying to hold your breath till your face turns blue in order to get the surprisingly responsible people to cave in to your idiocy, Mr. President.

Oh... kind of like the GOP has been doing since Jan 2009?

You just proved Bo's point that you're an illiterate.
The Recovery Act established increased levels of spending.

Really? Is that why spending went down from 2009 to 2010?

BASELINES dude. the big glops of stimulus that sent it higher, was not part of the baseline ala depts. whom saw their operating budgets increased.

Ok. Wait now. Which are you guys claiming here? That the Recovery Act established increased levels? Or that it didn't? It's just glopped on.

thank you Britt;)
6 months ago Obama said that increasing taxes on job creators would cost one million jobs. So how is it that today increasing taxes is the thing to do?
in a word, politics.
Obama has to shove tax increases down our throats to appease his political base.
There were tons of stories indicating liberals were incensed over the extension of the tax cuts and that anger exists today over the democrats who are not supporting Obama's call for tax increases.
Obama and his far left wing supporters know God damned well that tax increases will not do anything to eliminate the deficit. However ,the increases are symbolic in that it enables Obama to save face and higher taxes appeal to the class envy crowd.

Last edited:
Cut loopholes.. fine.

Share that sentiment with some of your heroes in the GOP. Even that is too much for them, apparently.

Cut spending... share that with your heroes in the American Communist Party that is now the Democrats.

Spending cuts have already been proposed.
And if the democrats had their way, spending cuts would be off the table.
Case and point, the GOP wanted 100 billion dollars cut from the most recent budget proposal. The democrats got up in front of microphones and labeled the cuts "draconian".

Forum List

Back