Polygamy Laws: How would one challenge them in the courts?

nope: You totally misread what the case is about. Same sex marriage 14th argument was about the right to marry.
The polygamy 14th argument was about challenging a cohabitation law. It was ruled silly for a marriage license.

As the Salt Lake Tribune reads the decision, U.S. District Judge Clark Waddoups says the part of the law that prohibits cohabitation between adults to whom they are not legally married violates both the First and 14th Amendments.

The paper adds:
"Utah law made such a union a felony punishable by up to five years in prison. Waddoups said the ban violated the First and 14th amendments to the Constitution.​

"Waddoups let stand the portion of the statute that prevents someone from having more than one active marriage license.

Federal Judge Strikes Down Part Of Utah s Polygamy Ban The Two-Way NPR

I don't need to look at the case. What's the difference between the 14th Amendment argument for gay marriage and the 14th Amendment argument for polygamy? Nothing.
"What's the difference between the 14th Amendment argument for gay marriage and the 14th Amendment argument for polygamy?" Everything. One is the right to a marriage contract. The other is about a religious view on how many existing marriages one can enter into.

"Waddoups let stand the portion of the statute that prevents someone from having more than one active marriage license.

Federal Judge Strikes Down Part Of Utah s Polygamy Ban The Two-Way NPR ...

Which Amendment incorporated the Bill of Rights against the states?
English, please

This is when I knew I had to explain what incorporation was. ^^^^ I referenced it and he replied "English Please."
yes idiot. Dante wrote English please, because "incorporated the Bill of Rights against the states?" makes absolutely NO sense in English. Nothing was incorporated against

See? Dipsht

It doesn't sound like the part struck down had anything to do with marriage.

Polgyamy laws will have to specify whether multiple spouses means the additional ones get the same economic adjustments as the first. Presumedly they wouldn't since that'd result in massive "marriages" between hundreds of people to get the best possible tax and other economic benefits. But additional spouses could still receive mutliple instances of other aspects of legal marriage like visitation rights and other things.

These issues are why bigamy and polygamy are already illegal. Religiously, there's nothing to use to deny such marriages as Judaism allows it, as does Islam.

Forum List

Back