Polls show US Jews prefer Obama 3-1

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Polls show US Jews prefer Obama | America Decides 2008 | Jerusalem Post

Two polls out Thursday show Barack Obama restoring his lead among Jewish voters to their historic Democratic levels, even in the crucial swing state of Florida where the candidate has come under much criticism from the Jewish community.

A Quinnipiac University poll released Thursday found Floridian Jews back Obama over Republican rival John McCain by a rate of 77 percent to 20%. And a Gallup survey found that nationwide, Jews prefer Obama by 74% to McCain's 22%.

As opposed to support for Obama among the American population generally, which spiked significantly following the economic crisis, Jewish support has been building gradually since a low of 61% in July, the Gallup tracking found.

The Quinnipiac poll, which looked at several swing states, Florida being among the most crucial, showed McCain's advantage of foreign policy grounds had also suffered in the Sunshine State, with a drop in voters who think he would handle the subject better than Obama (now at 50 versus 44%).

The poll was conducted between October 16 to October 21 with a 2.6% margin of error among 1,433 respondents, though the number of Jewish interviewees was not given. The Gallup poll was conducted between October 1 and October 21 of 564 Jewish voters with a 5% margin of error. If Obama were to actually garner the three-quarters of the Jewish vote registered in the polls, he would repeat the total haul of John Kerry when he faced off against George Bush in 2004.

That figure is similar to numbers registered in a New York University poll of Jewish voters nationally released earlier this week, but a sharp rise over previous surveys which found Jewish support for Obama closer to two-thirds of the demographic, which historically votes overwhelmingly Democrat.

If Obama has indeed recovered that support, it could prove particularly significant in Florida because of the large number of Jews living there. It also suggests that the Obama campaign has overcome one of its biggest Jewish hurdles, since the constituency there has voiced some of the most persistent and intense criticism of Obama of any Jewish community.
Analysts have suggested that many Jewish Democrats have been more open to Obama as their first choice candidate, Hillary Clinton, endorsed her competitor and faded from the stage, at the same time that McCain's choice of conservative Sarah Palin turned off those who had been considering jumping parties.
Despite Obama's strong draw on the youth vote, the Gallup poll actually found that younger Jews are less likely to support Obama, with only 67% of 18- to 34-year-olds choosing him versus 74% of those over 55. That could stem from the higher rate of Orthodox observance and therefore more conservative views among young Jews, though Gallup found the younger Jews were no more likely to describe their political beliefs as conservative than older voters.

Maybe it has something to do with Palin belonging to a fringe rightwing part of christianity that thinks Jews are going to burn in hell, and with her sitting through a sermon where a wingnut preacher said that jews deserved terrorist attacks in israel for not embracing the christian God.

Maybe it has something to do with Palin belonging to a fringe rightwing part of christianity that thinks Jews are going to burn in hell, and with her sitting through a sermon where a wingnut preacher said that jews deserved terrorist attacks in israel for not embracing the christian God.

Huh? I've heard about her wingnut preacher, but I've never heard about that. Do you have a video of that, or is that "video" completely subjective?

Since I really did not know what the basic core beliefs of the Pentacostal religious were I consulted Google

source

qbar_q.gif
What are the core beliefs of the pentecostal religion?

rc_gray1.gif
rc_gray1b.gif
[Edit]
abar_a.gif

Firstly, Pentecostals are not a separate religion. Pentecostalism is a form of Christianity. Therefore, Pentecostals are identified firstly Christians, not as Pentecostals. The term "Pentecostal" comes from the Day of Pentecost in Acts 2 when the promised Holy Spirit was poured out on the original disciples.

The two things that distinguish Pentecostals from other Christians are generally-
  • The belief that the activity of the Holy Spirit in the believer begins with salvation (the "infilling with the Holy Spirit") but may continue with an experience of empowering ("the baptism in the Spirit") which is evident by a God-given phenomena known as "tongues" ("glossalalia").
  • The belief that the Holy Spirit can still administer the spiritual gifts of 1Corinthians 12 today through His people (tongues, interpretation, prophecy, healing, word of wisdom, word of knowledge, discerning of spirits, faith, and miracles).
Pentecostals are distinguished from Charismatics over the first of these two points. Charismatics accept the second point but not the first point. Therefore, while there are entire denominations which are identified as "Pentecostal", the largest of these is the Assemblies of God, there are some denominations that have within them congregations which embrace the second point of Pentecostalism are usually identified as being "Charismatic".
Pentecostals are generally characterised by vibrant faith, aggressive evangelism, bright worship services, prayer for the sick, the laying on of hands to impart spiritual blessing, the acknowledgement of demonic activity and the occasional need for unbelievers to be "delivered" from demons. Dr. Andrew Corbett Andrew Corbett's Biblical Thinking Resources

Since I'm not of this faith, hearing from anyone who is would be appreciated.

The US Jewish population has always leaned left, so why is this even news?

Its a fundamental tenet of the pentacostal religion, and of fundamentalist christianity in general, that jews won't be allowed into heaven.

We do not want to bring up extremists preachers when we're trying to vote for Obama, especially when there is no documented evidence of your claim.

Since I really did not know what the basic core beliefs of the Pentacostal religious were I consulted Google

source

Since I'm not of this faith, hearing from anyone who is would be appreciated.

You can't group anyone who is part of a religion together. I'm conservative Jewish, but some of my views are more right wing than theirs and other views are more left wing. Until Sarah Palin comes out and says her views are that Jews can only be accepted into heaven by accepting Jesus as their savior, I won't bash her religious points of view. Once she says that.... well... GAME ON.

Because Jews have drifted right recently.

Palin has been pretty clear that she is pro-israel, and not anti-semitic.

Palin... pro-Israel... yeah. No.

Sorry, I'm not electing a Vice President who's never been to Israel or even visited a Synogogue. She probably doesn't even know what the Torah is.

Because Jews have drifted right recently.

Palin has been pretty clear that she is pro-israel, and not anti-semitic.

They may have DRIFTED, but the Jewish base still leans left. And all candidates that want to have a real shot at winning the presidency know they have to be pro-israel, whether they actually are or not. You don't get to the top by not putting Israel first.

Its a fundamental tenet of the pentacostal religion, and of fundamentalist christianity in general, that jews won't be allowed into heaven.

BS...I can tell you, that Pentacostal as well as all religions have different beliefs. Thanks for trying to paint a whole religion on some religious extremists. Are you saying all Muslims want to crash planes into our buildings and see the fall of Israel? What a religious bigot you are....

Greek Othodox, you know, the people that translated the bible from old hebrew and gave it to you, don't believe that. They are gods chosen people.

Anyways, not all christians go to heaven and not all jews go to hell. If your religion says jews are going to hell, then you found the wrong religion.

You and amadenajad from iran have a lot in common.

They may have DRIFTED, but the Jewish base still leans left. And all candidates that want to have a real shot at winning the presidency know they have to be pro-israel, whether they actually are or not. You don't get to the top by not putting Israel first.
True, but at least she has addressed the issue, which is more than can be said on a whole host of other religious issues, which are equally controversial.

True, but at least she has addressed the issue, which is more than can be said on a whole host of other religious issues, which are equally controversial.

I'd much prefer religion wasn't brought up at ALL in a campaign.

Well, that's an interesting point. If there was no risk of maintaining separation of church and state I'd agree with you 100%. Since there seems to be some desire to mix the two, I think we have to be clear on who would mix them, and how.

Greek Othodox, you know, the people that translated the bible from old hebrew and gave it to you, don't believe that. They are gods chosen people.

Anyways, not all christians go to heaven and not all jews go to hell. If your religion says jews are going to hell, then you found the wrong religion.

You and amadenajad from iran have a lot in common.

You and Red dawn will be shocked to learn alot of Pentacostals do believe the Jews are "God's chosen people". I was raised a Pentacostal, I don't believe in the religion now.

Last edited:

Middle class jews outnumber rich jews. Middle class people of all types are putting things like israel and gay marriage aside because we're seeing its all about money. If you took advantage of bushanomics, vote for mccain. He wants to give you even more taxbreaks.

If you're cost of living went up, house and 401k went down, you stop worrying about israel and more about yourself. I love mother greece but right now screw them. lol

You and Red dawn will be shocked to learn alot of Pentacostals do believe the Jews are "God's chosen people". I was raised a Pentacostal, I don't believe in the religion now.

Do they think they are going to hell?

The whole either you believe in jesus or go to hell is so not something god would ask/say. That's a man made rule to get people to buy into it. Consequence if you ever decide to quit.

Now if christianity said that they just happen to have a better place in heaven than the jews and muslims then I would buy into that. But to say everyone else is going to hell? I don't buy it. That defies everything I stand for and I know that's not what religion
is all about. At least hope.

Forum List

Back