Polls and Lists - prepping for college football

The preseason AP poll is out, and there are a few things I wonder about. (other than why the hell they rank teams that haven't played yet)

USC at #1? They lost 2 games last year. Have they gotten significantly better? Barkley may be the best QB in college football, and the offense looks sharp. But #1? On what basis?

They have Michigan at #8 with 1 vote for #1. For a team that will start the year 0-1, thats high praise.

Florida State is at #7. We'll have to see if the show up or blow up this year.

Also, I saw a new list out ranking interior offensive linemen. The best news is that the #1 and #2 guys on this list are Bama players. Chance Warmack at Guard is #2 and Barrett Jones at Center is #1.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...r-linemen.html

"Jones was an All-America guard as a sophomore in 2010. He was an All-America tackle as a junior last season. Now he goes for the hat trick, as he moved to center during spring drills. Jones won the Outland Trophy last season."

Bama's O Line is going to be one of the best in the nation this year. Its one of the reasons I think the 12.5 point spread against Michigan is too low. Our offensive line has a 50lb per man advantage in weigh and is not slow. Given Saban's penchant for grinding opposing defenses down to the point that they cannot stop us in the 3rd & 4th quarter, it could get ugly for the wolverines.

Oh yeah, and the #3 offensive tackle in the nation (according to http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...e-tackles.html ) is DJ Fluker. He is a monster.

USC and Alabama are above LSU only because the Honey Badger couldn't stop smokin' that weed.

My prediction - LSU and Alabama rematch in the National Championship and USC whines like bitches all the way to the Rose Bowl.

Just remember - the game between LSU and Alabama in Tiger Stadium doesn't even count.

U-Dub will put a hurt on LSU - will elevate Keith Pricet to front-runner Heisman status.

Over 400 yards passing in the Alamo Bowl - 4 passing TDs, 3 rushing TDs - all on a gimpy leg.

The preseason AP poll is out, and there are a few things I wonder about. (other than why the hell they rank teams that haven't played yet)

USC at #1? They lost 2 games last year. Have they gotten significantly better? Barkley may be the best QB in college football, and the offense looks sharp. But #1? On what basis?

They have Michigan at #8 with 1 vote for #1. For a team that will start the year 0-1, thats high praise.

Also, I saw a new list out ranking interior offensive linemen. The best news is that the #1 and #2 guys on this list are Bama players. Chance Warmack at Guard is #2 and Barrett Jones at Center is #1.

"Jones was an All-America guard as a sophomore in 2010. He was an All-America tackle as a junior last season. Now he goes for the hat trick, as he moved to center during spring drills. Jones won the Outland Trophy last season."

Bama's O Line is going to be one of the best in the nation this year. Its one of the reasons I think the 12.5 point spread against Michigan is too low. Our offensive line has a 50lb per man advantage in weigh and is not slow. Given Saban's penchant for grinding opposing defenses down to the point that they cannot stop us in the 3rd & 4th quarter, it could get ugly for the wolverines.

Oh yeah, and the #3 offensive tackle in the nation (according to http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...e-tackles.html ) is DJ Fluker. He is a monster.

USC and Alabama are above LSU only because the Honey Badger couldn't stop smokin' that weed.

My prediction - LSU and Alabama rematch in the National Championship and USC whines like bitches all the way to the Rose Bowl.

Just remember - the game between LSU and Alabama in Tiger Stadium doesn't even count.

U-Dub will put a hurt on LSU - will elevate Keith Pricet to front-runner Heisman status.

Over 400 yards passing in the Alamo Bowl - 4 passing TDs, 3 rushing TDs - all on a gimpy leg.

The Huskies went 7-6 last year. Yeah, Price passed for 400 yards in the Alamo Bowl. But they allowed Baylor to pass for 295 yards and run for 482 yards. 777 yards? The Huskie defense was ranked 116th out of 120 teams. The teams they played with halfway decent defenses slaughtered them. Hell, Nebraska burned them 51-38. Stanford nailed them 65-21.

And you think they will beat a team that has lost only 3 games in two years? Hell, Washington lost 3 games in November last year.

You actually think the Huskies will beat one of the top defensive teams in the nation? No, sorry about that. Papageorgio is right, you started drinking too early if you think LSU isn't going to beat the Huskies like a redheaded stepchild.

UW D co-ordinator Nick Holt got fired after the Alamo Bowl.

Remember how Nebraska beat Arizona St by about 60 points in 1995 - but then Arizona St shut them out in 1996?

UW D co-ordinator Nick Holt got fired after the Alamo Bowl.

Remember how Nebraska beat Arizona St by about 60 points in 1995 - but then Arizona St shut them out in 1996?

Two points:

#1 - LSU's defense will be just as tough as it was last year. Yes, they lost a few starters, but the depth of talent is astounding. And UW didn't do much against teams with good defenses last year.

#2 - LSU and UW only played one common team last year, Oregon. UW got whipped and LSU slaughtered them.

UW's defense was ranked 116th overall and 102nd against the run. Even if they improve dramatically, they are not stopping a team that scored on some of the tougher defenses in the nation.

And UW's offense has not faced a defense like LSU's. Price is an excellent QB. But the pass rush LSU will throw at him won't let him do what he wants.

Let' s see what happens.

UW plays Oregon , USC, Stanford in Sept , Oct.............................

LSU probably the easiest game .

Let' s see what happens.

Lol! Out of those four teams I'd rate it USC, LSU, Oregon, Stanford.

Washington could easily lose all four. They could be 7-6 again this year.

Let' s see what happens.

Lol! Out of those four teams I'd rate it USC, LSU, Oregon, Stanford.

Washington could easily lose all four. They could be 7-6 again this year.

Stanford looks like the easiest of those 4. And given how badly LSU manhandled Oregon last year, its hard to see the Tigers as the easiest to beat.

Sorry but the Hiesman will go to the Okie Sooners QB this year.

2 days and counting! The season starts in 2, but Bama & Michigan meet in 3!

I am so psyched for college football!

Anybody else want to see Boise St. go down in flames?

Chris Peterson is a great coach and the Broncos have been great no doubt.

But I for one want to see the smurf turf cheaters day in the sun come to an end. I hope the Spartans bury them soundly tonight and BSU fades away into the new Big Least.

Let' s see what happens.

So much for Stanford being the tougher game. They had trouble beating San Jose St.

But I for one want to see the smurf turf cheaters day in the sun come to an end. I hope the Spartans bury them soundly tonight and BSU fades away into the new Big Least.

The Spartan tried to bury BSU. They dominated everywhere but the scoreboard. I think Mich St will be tough once a few of the new players get on track. Turnovers killed them.

But still, Boise State starts off 0-1. So no more whining about the BCS ignoring them.

The Spartan tried to bury BSU. They dominated everywhere but the scoreboard. I think Mich St will be tough once a few of the new players get on track. Turnovers killed them.

But still, Boise State starts off 0-1. So no more whining about the BCS ignoring them.

Exactly, that's all I wanted, BSU 0-1 and now we don't have to hear about them the rest of the year.

Did anyone else think Michigan was going to get smoked by Alabama? I did, not surprised at all.

And what the hell happened to Pittsburgh??? They lost by 14 to Youngstown St.!

Let' s see what happens.

So much for Stanford being the tougher game. They had trouble beating San Jose St.

I stand corrected. The Stanford team took USC out in style. Barkley showed he can be rattled by a tough pash rush.

Forum List

Back