Polls and Lists - prepping for college football

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
The preseason AP poll is out, and there are a few things I wonder about. (other than why the hell they rank teams that haven't played yet)

USC at #1? They lost 2 games last year. Have they gotten significantly better? Barkley may be the best QB in college football, and the offense looks sharp. But #1? On what basis?

They have Michigan at #8 with 1 vote for #1. For a team that will start the year 0-1, thats high praise.

Florida State is at #7. We'll have to see if the show up or blow up this year.

Also, I saw a new list out ranking interior offensive linemen. The best news is that the #1 and #2 guys on this list are Bama players. Chance Warmack at Guard is #2 and Barrett Jones at Center is #1.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...r-linemen.html

"Jones was an All-America guard as a sophomore in 2010. He was an All-America tackle as a junior last season. Now he goes for the hat trick, as he moved to center during spring drills. Jones won the Outland Trophy last season."

Bama's O Line is going to be one of the best in the nation this year. Its one of the reasons I think the 12.5 point spread against Michigan is too low. Our offensive line has a 50lb per man advantage in weigh and is not slow. Given Saban's penchant for grinding opposing defenses down to the point that they cannot stop us in the 3rd & 4th quarter, it could get ugly for the wolverines.

Oh yeah, and the #3 offensive tackle in the nation (according to http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...e-tackles.html ) is DJ Fluker. He is a monster.

Last edited:
Rarely does the pre-season numner one end up number one in the final poll. Coincidentally, the last team was So. Cal. Bama and half the SEC will be strong again this year. It is the conference's national championship to lose. Even without the thug honeybadger, LSU will win lots of games.

Rarely does the pre-season numner one end up number one in the final poll. Coincidentally, the last team was So. Cal. Bama and half the SEC will be strong again this year. It is the conference's national championship to lose. Even without the thug honeybadger, LSU will win lots of games.

LSU will be a monster again, that is a fact. Their defense will be just as tough. Honey Badger wasn't great at defending against the pass, as Bama showed in January. Plus they look like they may actually have a decent QB.

The preseason AP poll is out, and there are a few things I wonder about. (other than why the hell they rank teams that haven't played yet)

USC at #1? They lost 2 games last year. Have they gotten significantly better? Barkley may be the best QB in college football, and the offense looks sharp. But #1? On what basis?

They have Michigan at #8 with 1 vote for #1. For a team that will start the year 0-1, thats high praise.

Also, I saw a new list out ranking interior offensive linemen. The best news is that the #1 and #2 guys on this list are Bama players. Chance Warmack at Guard is #2 and Barrett Jones at Center is #1.

"Jones was an All-America guard as a sophomore in 2010. He was an All-America tackle as a junior last season. Now he goes for the hat trick, as he moved to center during spring drills. Jones won the Outland Trophy last season."

Bama's O Line is going to be one of the best in the nation this year. Its one of the reasons I think the 12.5 point spread against Michigan is too low. Our offensive line has a 50lb per man advantage in weigh and is not slow. Given Saban's penchant for grinding opposing defenses down to the point that they cannot stop us in the 3rd & 4th quarter, it could get ugly for the wolverines.

Oh yeah, and the #3 offensive tackle in the nation (according to http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...e-tackles.html ) is DJ Fluker. He is a monster.

USC has Woods and Lee at receiver too. No other team has two better wide outs. Aundrey Walker is huge on the line too replacing Kalil. The addition of Redd makes them extremely tough. Not sure what they are like on the other side of the ball though. They are usually tough. Depth will be an issue maybe.

USC has Woods and Lee at receiver too. No other team has two better wide outs. Aundrey Walker is huge on the line too replacing Kalil. The addition of Redd makes them extremely tough. Not sure what they are like on the other side of the ball though. They are usually tough. Depth will be an issue maybe.

Depth is an issue for Bama as well. At least at QB. If McCarron gets hurt, the backup is a RB or a couple of true freshmen.

Michigan will be back now that the curse that is Greg Robinson is no longer with the team. Rich Rod would have been fine if he hadn't made the mistake of hiring Robinson.

Other than Oregon at home, I doubt anyone will come close to beating So. Cal. the SEC is by far the best division and I think it comes down to Bama and the Tigers.

Other than Oregon at home, I doubt anyone will come close to beating So. Cal. the SEC is by far the best division and I think it comes down to Bama and the Tigers.

I hope you are right. That will be a helluva game. Of course, the Trojans will probably have to beat the Ducks twice to get there.

It would not surprise me to see Washington beat LSU at their place and put QB Keith Price in the favorites for the Heisman.

ND blew the bowl game against Fla St - had a hefty haltimelead - shouldsa won going away - which causes me to wonder a bout FSUs rankings for 2012.................

Leweman,

Hows OSU looking this year? Whats your outlook for the Buckeyes?

I'm not sure what to think this year. They have some great talent but are working in a completely new offense. They were in every game last year, besides the Miami game when Miller should have started, based on talent alone really. I hear the practices have been ridiculous. Just depends on how fast they can catch on to the new system. They have a weak schedule this year as well. I think they could be 10-2 or 11-1, dropping one to Wisconson or Michigan St. Going forward though they will be in the national championship conversation for a few years to come based on recruiting and coaching.

ND almost won the NC in the first year of 2 platoon football in 1964 under Ara P (before that - players plyed both ways on offese and defense)

Maybe they will win the first playoff - they have a few a coupleof years ......

How someone like Oregon csan be betterthan ND is beyond me

It would not surprise me to see Washington beat LSU at their place and put QB Keith Price in the favorites for the Heisman.

You will be the only one not surprised. Washington will be destroyed in that game. Price looked good in the bowl game against Baylor. But there was no defense on either side.

When Price faced decent defenses he threw interceptions. He threw two interceptions against Nebraska, three against Arizona and two against Oregon. And none of those 3 teams had defenses even close to what LSU will show him. The Huskies will probably move the ball early, but eventually the dominance of the LSU defense will take its toll. Two of the best defensive linemen in the country will be in Price's face all day long.

I see this season coming down to a game between an SEC team and a PAC team for the championship.

The SEC will either send Alabama or LSU, and the PAC will send USC or Oregon.

I think Alabama has the best team to get there. LSU is always a threat, as is Arkansas. But this is going to be a tough Bama team to beat. And unlike 2010, we don't have 7 teams (including 6 SEC teams) with the week off before they play us.

USC and Alabama are above LSU only because the Honey Badger couldn't stop smokin' that weed.

My prediction - LSU and Alabama rematch in the National Championship and USC whines like bitches all the way to the Rose Bowl.

Just remember - the game between LSU and Alabama in Tiger Stadium doesn't even count.

Last edited:

USC and Alabama are above LSU only because the Honey Badger couldn't stop smokin' that weed.

My prediction - LSU and Alabama rematch in the National Championship and USC whines like bitches all the way to the Rose Bowl.

Just remember - the game between LSU and Alabama in Tiger Stadium doesn't even count.

Sure it counts. But playing the #1 team to overtime and losing to an unranked team is what can separate #2 from #3.

I'm not sold on USCs defense.

Remember - last season, USC was a sold 7 point underdog to Notre Dame in South Bend - then they pulled the upset.

That got them respect.

I expect USC to crumble in Nov - esp on defense.

Oregon will win the Pac 12.

Forum List

Back