POLL: WWII P-38 Fighter Recovered from Under Greenland Ice. Q: How Many Layers of Ice Were There?

Glacier Girl was Buried Under How Many Layers of Snow?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 57.1%

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Many Hundreds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bush!

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
Some of you may know the story of a P-38 that made an emergency landing in Greenland and was abandoned. Over the years it was covered by 258 feet of snow. We know it was 258 feet because in 1992 a team went to Greenland and MELTED holes down through the snow and ice to retrieve the plane! A web site detailing that expedition and restoration can be found here:

Glacier Girl: The Back Story | History | Air & Space Magazine
Glacier Girl.jpg

As we all know, it's easy to date objects that have been buried by earth or ice. Ice being the easiest as you just look at the layers and count each one as one year, the same as you would with tree rings.

This particular Aircraft landed was built in 1941, landed in 1942 and was retrieved in 1992. So the question is:

How many layers of ice were counted? I't should be obvious but I'll post the answer later.

This poll will close in 7 days. Your vote will not be viewed publicly.

Last edited:
It was buried under 268 feet of ice and snow........not 258.
The Air and Space article I posted says 264. The article with an interview of the person who actually dug it up says 258.

Go ahead and make your calculations based on that (or not), but I'll stick with 258.

That's a great documentary. One of my all time favorite pilots, Darryl Greenamyer was involved in that. Don't forget to vote in my poll!

Yeah- I can still remember following the story at the time and looking forward to that plane fly again.

I did happen to be lucky enough to see a B-29 take off and fly- perhaps its last flight on its way to a museum- beautiful plane.

Yeah- I can still remember following the story at the time and looking forward to that plane fly again.

I did happen to be lucky enough to see a B-29 take off and fly- perhaps its last flight on its way to a museum- beautiful plane.

I saw FiFi fly last spring. They wanted $600 for a thirty minute flight though. A little too steep

bd7335_475f7dff3b87fcc4d47211b277b68f91.jpg

Some of you may know the story of a P-38 that made an emergency landing in Greenland and was abandoned. Over the years it was covered by 258 feet of snow. We know it was 258 feet because in 1992 a team went to Greenland and MELTED holes down through the snow and ice to retrieve the plane! A web site detailing that expedition and restoration can be found here:

Glacier Girl: The Back Story | History | Air & Space Magazine
View attachment 55440

As we all know, it's easy to date objects that have been buried by earth or ice. Ice being the easiest as you just look at the layers and count each one as one year, the same as you would with tree rings.

This particular Aircraft landed was built in 1941, landed in 1942 and was retrieved in 1992. So the question is:

How many layers of ice were counted? I't should be obvious but I'll post the answer later.

This poll will close in 7 days. Your vote will not be viewed publicly.

Ice layer formation probably isn't a constant making the question moot. They don't date ice core samples by counting the number of layers afaik, but actually rm dating the ice itself from the layer in contact with whatever was buried.

Thanks to all who voted.

How many layers were there? Many Hundreds. It took only 40 years to accumulate many hundreds of layers. What that also means is that it could take only hundreds of years to accumulate thousands or hundreds of thousands of layers. Then on top of all that as the snow layers get compressed and move closer to terra firma, it melts, shifts and distorts everything above it. No matter how good the drilling technology is it's merely a S.W.A.G. or "Scientific Wild Assed Guess". Shouldn't base yer "global warming" ideas on this highly inaccurate and non-reproducable process. Interesting? Yes. Fun? Yes. Results to be taken as accurate? No.

Sorry, the source isn't from Fox Lap Dancer News or MSHomosexual News. Just read it anyway.

Ancient Ice
In a telephone interview, Bob Cardin was asked how many layers of ice were above the recovered airplane.He responded by saying, “Oh, there were many hundreds of layers of ice above the airplane.”When told that each layer was supposed to represent one year of time, Bob said, “That is impossible! Each of those layers is a different warm spell – warm, cold, warm, cold, warm, cold.” Also, the planes did not sink in the ice over time as some have suggested.Their density was less than the ice or snow since they were not filled with the snow, but remained hollow.They were in fact buried by the annual snowfall over the course of almost 50 years.

It's a Creationist website. Keep that in mind when deciding on the credibility of the evidence in question.

Also, an MD (the "paper"'s author) is no a climatologist nor a geologist.

I'm not a climatologist either yet I was able to understand that one ice layer doesn't necessarily equate to one year. This is called "Power of Observation".

I'm not a Dentist yet I know what a cavity looks like. Not a Doctor yet I know what a broken bone looks like, etc.

Please don't blindly equate "certification" with "knowledge" or "understanding".

The plane was buried for 40 years yet had "hundreds of layers of snow and ice" built up during that time.

Again, sorry it's not Fox or MSNBC. Don't close your mind.

Forum List

Back