POLL: What should the punishment be for protesting football players?

How should NFL players be punished?

• No punishment

Votes: 44 46.3%
  • Fine each time they do it

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Fine & Suspension

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • You're Fired!

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • Mango. Mango everywhere.

Votes: 8 8.4%

• Total voters
There is a "social media" meme going around claiming that the NFL rulebook says something like that. It doesn't. I busted that earlier in the day -- the NFL rulebook makes no mention of a national anthem at all.

It's more than just a social media meme. It's been reported by at least somewhat legitimate sources, such as the Time article I linked in my last post. Here's another link, from the Chicago Tribune, which says that the NFL game operations manual states that players must be on the sidelines for the anthem: No discipline for anthem-skipping teams as NFL fires back at Donald Trump
The NFL is not levying punishment for the teams that did not come out this week, though.

There's no evidence that such "operations manual" exists either. We did that too.

I'll post the link.

Yes, there is. League Governance | NFL Football Operations

The NFL Football Operations “bible” is the Game Operations Manual — nearly 200 pages of procedures and policy for regular season games alone.

Good work. First one to find it.

But it doesn't seem to say anything about standing for a national anthem. Doesn't mention "anthem" at all except in the setting "the national anthem has been played and....".. Doesn't mention "standing" either. And it's not the rule book. Matter of fact it looks like an external PR document, not an internal one.

Here's the post where I took Mudwhistle's last ball. The actual rulebook is linked there too.

Your Chicago Tribune link repeats that same 'social mediia' meme that I brought up originally and that Mudwhistle tried to claim, in his version being in the rule book:

>> The NFL's game operations manual says that "all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem."

It also says: "Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses." <<​

However that passage does not appear to be in either one. I'm afraid what you have there is a piece of bad journalism.

I have yet to see a copy of the Game Operations Manual. It is not the same thing as the rulebook.

If what you posted is not it, then nobody has seen it. And it's irresponsible to be declaring "the game ops manual says..." and not be able to document that there even IS such a thing.. Snopes couldn't find it either.

Mud tried to tell me that if I can't prove the negative that it does not exist, therefore it exists and says whatever he wants. :rofl:

Last edited:
There is a "social media" meme going around claiming that the NFL rulebook says something like that. It doesn't. I busted that earlier in the day -- the NFL rulebook makes no mention of a national anthem at all.

It's more than just a social media meme. It's been reported by at least somewhat legitimate sources, such as the Time article I linked in my last post. Here's another link, from the Chicago Tribune, which says that the NFL game operations manual states that players must be on the sidelines for the anthem: No discipline for anthem-skipping teams as NFL fires back at Donald Trump
The NFL is not levying punishment for the teams that did not come out this week, though.

There's no evidence that such "operations manual" exists either. We did that too.

I'll post the link.

Yes, there is. League Governance | NFL Football Operations

The NFL Football Operations “bible” is the Game Operations Manual — nearly 200 pages of procedures and policy for regular season games alone.

Good work. First one to find it.

But it doesn't seem to say anything about standing for a national anthem. Doesn't mention "anthem" at all except in the setting "the national anthem has been played and....".. Doesn't mention "standing" either. And it's not the rule book. Matter of fact it looks like an external PR document, not an internal one.

Here's the post where I took Mudwhistle's last ball. The actual rulebook is linked there too.

The actual game operation manual is not available. It is a different document than the rulebook.
The Game Operations Manual is one of the league’s three comprehensive policy manuals for member clubs — the other two are for administrative and business operations, and media and public relations — and, by necessity, it is often military-like in its precision and astonishing in its thoroughness.

The league’s Game Operations Department uses the manual to govern the conduct of home clubs, to ensure they protect players and provide the conditions for a fair and fan-friendly contest. Clubs face warnings and other penalties for noncompliance.

I'm not sure if the GOM would be the one to find any possible rules about the anthem, or if that would be more likely to be in the media and public relations manual. However, it's certainly possible that the quotes which have been reported are real.

It does not appear to be likely that they are real. Again -- Mudwhistle brought this fake meme up this morning, and it specifies sections where this language supposedly resides in the rule book -- the same passage that the Tribune attributes to this mysterious "GOM". Yet a simple check of the rule book in those sections says absolutely nothing even close -- it's about foul penalites. So clearly someone was engaging in creative writing. It was debunked easily.

Beyond that --- how could the NFL, or any operation, run itself with TWO rule books?

The rule book we do know about -- the real one--- is very specific about what players can't do. And it makes no mention of a national anthem at all.

I can't imagine either a team or the league would fire a guy over this. First, the player's union would take them to court. But probably more importantly, one hell of a lot of players wouldn't want to play for them or be drafted by them. The team would be toxic for the most part.

It's very possible that the NFL might fine or suspend, though, given enough motivation. That's obviously not there at this point, but that could change.

On what basis could they 'fine or suspend' if there's no violation of its rules or player agreements?

Punishment for exercising one's 1st Amendment rights? This IS America, is it not?

Joe McCarthy rated this post "ironic".

He has in his hand a list of football players................

And yet ------------ there's this:

donald-trump-protest-womens-march-tweet.jpg

Having it both ways --- Priceless.

How is it ironic? No one is suggesting the teams don't have a right to protest or send out whatever message they want. All President Trump did was state the obvious fact that choosing to send out an anti-American message will have massive backlash.

Apparently you just figured out your own question. Even though you're still lost in the swamp of characterizing free speech as "anti-American" (feel free to prove that one). Yes, Rump riled the rabid (in a state that doesn't have an NFL team anyway) that there should be coercion against anyone stepping out of line. And if he had said the same words in a German accent with a straight-armed salute you'd STILL not see the irony.

Yes, we get to characterize their protest as anti-American if we want to. If your side gets to call everything racist just because they feel like it is, then we can certainly do the same.

It's laughable that suddenly anyone promoting a sentiment you don't like and calling for some type of action is "coercion". Yet the left has no problem trying to force everyone else into going along with their bullshit: like forcing people to bake cakes, forcing people to go along with fantasies of gender changing, or getting people fired from their job because they attended a protest on public property on their own time.

I've never posted about any of that shit, so you're a dishonest hack.

Punishment for exercising one's 1st Amendment rights? This IS America, is it not?

How is it ironic? No one is suggesting the teams don't have a right to protest or send out whatever message they want. All President Trump did was state the obvious fact that choosing to send out an anti-American message will have massive backlash.

Apparently you just figured out your own question. Even though you're still lost in the swamp of characterizing free speech as "anti-American" (feel free to prove that one). Yes, Rump riled the rabid (in a state that doesn't have an NFL team anyway) that there should be coercion against anyone stepping out of line. And if he had said the same words in a German accent with a straight-armed salute you'd STILL not see the irony.

Yes, we get to characterize their protest as anti-American if we want to. If your side gets to call everything racist just because they feel like it is, then we can certainly do the same.

It's laughable that suddenly anyone promoting a sentiment you don't like and calling for some type of action is "coercion". Yet the left has no problem trying to force everyone else into going along with their bullshit: like forcing people to bake cakes, forcing people to go along with fantasies of gender changing, or getting people fired from their job because they attended a protest on public property on their own time.

Now who is being the dishonest hack?
Your leftwing friends post that shit every day.

Some people need to learn the hard way. Things will change when they see their revenue disappearing.

First Amendment rights of free speech don't apply at a work place and on private property. Employees represent their company and if they say or do things that reflect badly on their employer, that company has the right to fire them.
Haven't seen any employers complaining yet.

If they are fine with it, then that is telling all the fans that is how they feel. It certainly is their right to do so. The fans will return the favor by boycotting them if they feel insulted by the message being sent by team owners and the NFL.
A long, long, time ago the NFL went on strike and the season didn't start until way late. The fans were absolutely FURIOUS. (That was pre-internet) After a time, they got over it though. Same here, so long as the media doesn't keep stirring the pot.

If Trump would quit tweeting about the NFL, the furor would go down a lot quicker. He keeps stirring up his base with distractions like this, and his followers eat it up hook line and sinker.

Wonder how many people today know that N. Korea has taken what some of Trumps tweets were about them and are calling it a declaration of war?

North Korea says Trump’s tweet is a declaration of war
Precisely what I was just saying in another thread. I have been wondering what he was distracting us from; wondered if it might be the kerfluffle over the NK/UN stuff.
It doesn't sound good to me.

Now who is being the dishonest hack?
Your leftwing friends post that shit every day.

Exactly how many people do you think I AM??

Once again, dishonest hack --- I've never posted anything like that. You go out and find one and bring it back here, or you're every bit the lying hack I just said you were.

Here, lemme help you get started.

Anything I want to find from the past here I just go to Google, type "usmessageboard.com" plus my name and whatever term I'm looking for. Works far better than the searh engine on this site.

You go find me anywhere I posted about "forcing gender changing" or "getting people fired" or "baking cakes". Aaaaaand GO.

Lying asshole.

Again, this is that same mob mentality you slavishly follow. The idea of "individual free thought" is completely foreign. And that's why you're in the hole you're in right now.

Dickweed.

Loss of all income from playing football.

My boycott has begun, I urge all patriotic Americans to join me.

I'm with you, Blackrook! I picked up a USA Today this morning wanting to catch up on what happened with Sunday's games. The sports section was seven pages long...with FOUR of those pages dedicated to the flag protests and one half of a page dedicated to the NFL games! Why anyone thinks that this protest over nothing is so newsworthy is beyond me! I DON'T PUT ON ESPN TO SEE COMMENTARY ON POLITICS!!! I DON'T READ THE SPORTS PAGE FOR COMMENTARY ON POLITICS!!! I DON'T WATCH SPORTING EVENTS FOR COMMENTARY ON POLITICS!!!

WHAT PART OF THAT CONCEPT DOESN'T ESPN, USA TODAY AND THE NFL NOT GRASP! AMERICANS LOVE SPORTS! AMERICANS LOVE POLITICAL DEBATE! THEY DON'T HOWEVER WANT POLITICS AND SPORTS TO BECOME ONE AND THE SAME!

First Amendment rights of free speech don't apply at a work place and on private property. Employees represent their company and if they say or do things that reflect badly on their employer, that company has the right to fire them.

If they are fine with it, then that is telling all the fans that is how they feel. It certainly is their right to do so. The fans will return the favor by boycotting them if they feel insulted by the message being sent by team owners and the NFL.
A long, long, time ago the NFL went on strike and the season didn't start until way late. The fans were absolutely FURIOUS. (That was pre-internet) After a time, they got over it though. Same here, so long as the media doesn't keep stirring the pot.

If Trump would quit tweeting about the NFL, the furor would go down a lot quicker. He keeps stirring up his base with distractions like this, and his followers eat it up hook line and sinker.

Wonder how many people today know that N. Korea has taken what some of Trumps tweets were about them and are calling it a declaration of war?

North Korea says Trump’s tweet is a declaration of war
Precisely what I was just saying in another thread. I have been wondering what he was distracting us from; wondered if it might be the kerfluffle over the NK/UN stuff.
It doesn't sound good to me.

That's a common tactic but I really don't think he's that smart. It's that ginormous EGO running his mouth, yet again. That's all it is. He heard his Pavlovian dogs salivating and he fed them more meat. Never thought it through.

Loss of all income from playing football.

My boycott has begun, I urge all patriotic Americans to join me.

I'm with you, Blackrook! I picked up a USA Today this morning wanting to catch up on what happened with Sunday's games. The sports section was seven pages long...with FOUR of those pages dedicated to the flag protests and one half of a page dedicated to the NFL games! Why anyone thinks that this protest over nothing is so newsworthy is beyond me! I DON'T PUT ON ESPN TO SEE COMMENTARY ON POLITICS!!! I DON'T READ THE SPORTS PAGE FOR COMMENTARY ON POLITICS!!! I DON'T WATCH SPORTING EVENTS FOR COMMENTARY ON POLITICS!!!

WHAT PART OF THAT CONCEPT DOESN'T ESPN, USA TODAY AND THE NFL NOT GRASP! AMERICANS LOVE SPORTS! AMERICANS LOVE POLITICAL DEBATE! THEY DON'T HOWEVER WANT POLITICS AND SPORTS TO BECOME ONE AND THE SAME!

That's what John McCain and Jeff Flake said too.

I guarantee you their contracts include a provision for sanctions/firing if their actions reflect poorly on the NFL. The 1st amendment doesn't give you the right to be an asshole at your place of work.
You can smash another guy's head, drive your shoulder into his ribs, and throw him to the ground.

But don't be an asshole!

I guarantee you their contracts include a provision for sanctions/firing if their actions reflect poorly on the NFL. The 1st amendment doesn't give you the right to be an asshole at your place of work.

Two glaring flaws --- one, exercising a view in a completely peaceful gesture cannot in any way be characterized as "asshole behavior", and two --- since the NFL, its brass, head coaches and owners have already articulated support for their players, there's no argument to be made that it "reflected poorly on the NFL". That ship sailed, wave bye-bye.

Mac1958 I live about 5 miles from an owner who's got skin in the game.

NFL owner: Kneeling players may be FIRED on Tuesday

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is rumored to have delivered a stern warning to his NFL team, and the message is big if it’s true: If you kneel during the national anthem on Monday Night Football, be prepared to find a new job on Tuesday.

Rumors swirled around social media Monday that everyone on “America’s Team” — from players to coaches to team personnel — received notice that if anyone disrespects America, they’re fired. No if, ands, or buts.

But is it real?

NFL owner: Kneeling players may be FIRED on Tuesday - The Horn News

Specific? For each kneel you dig a grave for a fallen vet with a hand trough.
A fallen vet who fought and died for our right to express ourselves freely?
They seem to believe that our military fights and dies for their right to FORCE people to stand with their hand over their heart for the Nat'l Anthem. What else do they believe having our military fight and die allows them to FORCE people to do?

Mac1958 I live about 5 miles from an owner who's got skin in the game.

NFL owner: Kneeling players may be FIRED on Tuesday

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is rumored to have delivered a stern warning to his NFL team, and the message is big if it’s true: If you kneel during the national anthem on Monday Night Football, be prepared to find a new job on Tuesday.

Rumors swirled around social media Monday that everyone on “America’s Team” — from players to coaches to team personnel — received notice that if anyone disrespects America, they’re fired. No if, ands, or buts.

But is it real?

NFL owner: Kneeling players may be FIRED on Tuesday - The Horn News
they had this same one for KC on the first game of the season against NE. number 22 sat and nothing happened. it's fake.

I can't imagine either a team or the league would fire a guy over this. First, the player's union would take them to court. But probably more importantly, one hell of a lot of players wouldn't want to play for them or be drafted by them. The team would be toxic for the most part.

It's very possible that the NFL might fine or suspend, though, given enough motivation. That's obviously not there at this point, but that could change.

On what basis could they 'fine or suspend' if there's no violation of its rules or player agreements?

Ask Jerry Jones.

Forum List

Back