Poll: Well-off say tax the rich

Poll: Well-off say tax the rich - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com

President Barack Obama has a lot of support for his proposal to raise taxes on the wealthy, even among the financially well-off, new polls show.

Two polls show similar levels of support for a millionaire tax among those earning more than $100,000, and among Americans more broadly.

Among those earning at least $100,000, nearly two-thirds — 65 percent — would support income tax increases on households earning $1 million or more annually, says a poll commissioned by American Express.

The concept of raising taxes on millionaires drew similar support in a survey gauging support among all Americans, conducted by CBS. Sixty-four percent of respondents said they would support a tax on millionaires “in order to lower the deficit,” while only 30 percent would oppose it.

Read more: Poll: Well-off say tax the rich - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com

Of course, because some of the well off are protected by progressive politicians - they don't pay shit and never will as long as progressives are around .... They're the elitist assholes that buy 35k dinners that fund the Obama campaign.

They're the ones making sure you see Obamafucks face 24-7-365 anywhere you go and everytime you turn on your TV...

Just wait until every other commercial has something to do with Obama and every time you leave your house you will see his face pasted against every wall and on every billboard.

I don't think he can buy this one tho....

It will be a pleasure for me to see all that money wasted for nothing.

I'm not surprised with the poll results. The only folks who didn't advocate some progression in a tax system seemed broke to me in the first place.

What I'd like to see is more progressions in our tax system... more brackets which reflect what wealth is today compared to the Reagan era when our brackets were adjusted to today's structure.

It gets really tough if you make a solid income, but don't pull down over $6-700k/year. You are in the same position as people retaining many times the after-tax earnings.

Money

I'm not surprised with the poll results. The only folks who didn't advocate some progression in a tax system seemed broke to me in the first place.

What I'd like to see is more progressions in our tax system... more brackets which reflect what wealth is today compared to the Reagan era when our brackets were adjusted to today's structure.

It gets really tough if you make a solid income, but don't pull down over $6-700k/year. You are in the same position as people retaining many times the after-tax earnings.

Money

A 2100 page tax code is more than enough. We need a simpler tax code and throw out the old convoluted tax structure that we have.

The only fucks who want tax increases are the elitists - the Marxists are pushing phase II of their destruction of capitalism....

Democrats are a lousy tax investment...and establishment Republicans aren't that much better.. sheesh.. just how much more proof do we need...?

Of course. It is one step on the road back to a reasonable disparity between wealthy and middle class Americans.

It is better for the economy if 1000 people each can afford to buy a $2000 kitchen cabinet refacing job than if one person buys a new $100,000 full kitchen remodel.

How is raising taxes on millionaires going to make it possible for anyone to buy kitchen cabinets if they can't afford them now?

Well, how else are we going to pay for Medicare and Medicaid for you baby boomers?

Should we plead to the job creators to innovate that money into existence?

President Barack Obama has a lot of support for his proposal to raise taxes on the wealthy, even among the financially well-off, new polls show.

Two polls show similar levels of support for a millionaire tax among those earning more than $100,000, and among Americans more broadly.

Among those earning at least $100,000, nearly two-thirds — 65 percent — would support income tax increases on households earning $1 million or more annually, says a poll commissioned by American Express.

The concept of raising taxes on millionaires drew similar support in a survey gauging support among all Americans, conducted by CBS. Sixty-four percent of respondents said they would support a tax on millionaires “in order to lower the deficit,” while only 30 percent would oppose it.

That just shows that the well off have a better understanding than most about what needs to be done to reduce the deficit. My wife and I make WELL into the six figure range and can be counted among the majority.

I'm with you. My wife and I are also fortunate with our income level. We both came from families they gave to charities and promoted charitable events. And we walk the walk, our household does not deduct our charitable donations, which run around 5% of our income.

Last edited:

Money

A 2100 page tax code is more than enough. We need a simpler tax code and throw out the old convoluted tax structure that we have.

I think our tax code should be made more complicated at least in the way I've described. The form 1040EZ is all folks more concerned with simplicity need concern themselves with. If you are concerned with your after-tax earnings and with the solvency of the government which prints our cash, some of the details in our tax system are more commonly welcomed.

The Alt Min Tax is a code simplification, and is the part of our code that I loathe the most. If you don't have a tax-deferred, un-matured divorce settlement trust-fund, you could just ignore that portion of the tax code - if there is such a thing - but leave that poor soul with such a concern to the solace of a little tax shelter, should that apply.

Money

Money

I think our tax code should be made more complicated at least in the way I've described. The form 1040EZ is all folks more concerned with simplicity need concern themselves with. If you are concerned with your after-tax earnings and with the solvency of the government which prints our cash, some of the details in our tax system are more commonly welcomed.

The Alt Min Tax is a code simplification, and is the part of our code that I loathe the most. If you don't have a tax-deferred, un-matured divorce settlement trust-fund, you could just ignore that portion of the tax code - if there is such a thing - but leave that poor soul with such a concern to the solace of a little tax shelter, should that apply.

Money

Seems you and I disagree, make it simple, get rid of the tax exemptions and "everyone" pay a flat tax rate. It would have "everyone" pay their "fair share".

"Let the other guy pay" works great, unless you're the other guy. We don't have an income problem, we have a spending problem. Cut the spending stupid.

But, you seem to have no problem with the "other guy" sacrificing.

Man is not supposed to be a sacrificial animal.

A wealthy celebrity, famous billionaire or rich union boss proclaiming "raise my taxes" could not be more disingenuous. What they really mean is "raise other people's taxes". Nothing is stopping them from individually paying more.

Of course they do.

Ever notice how it is always someone else who should pay higher taxes?

I think, for the short term, that we all need to pay higher taxes. And capital gains rates need to be increased also. We currently have the lowest tax rates in over 60 years. They need to be higher, and people need to be paying more. That does not mean we need to rape everyone over the coals with ridiculous tax increases, just enough to help get the budget under control. And that doesn't necessarily mean a balanced budget right away, just to get us closer to that goal.

Money

Seems you and I disagree, make it simple, get rid of the tax exemptions and "everyone" pay a flat tax rate. It would have "everyone" pay their "fair share".

Be easy, now. This is my first usmessageboard.com debate. =)

I am confused by whose benefit is served by the simplicity agenda on the matter of taxes. If you don't work 9-5 or make 9-5 money, it's not 'fair' to pay into a flat 9-5er tax system. 9-5ers can e-file an EZ and get their simple tax return. I don't think these same folks could do without the same share of their income as I have had to.

Now, I haven't had money back from withholding since 98 or 99, but neither of us stand to benefit from a flat tax rate. Who do you feel would?

Thanks for the debate!

Money

Wonder how many of those 768 respondents in the AmEx poll make over a million bucks income? Bet most of 'em don't. Makes you wonder how many of these guys have written a check to the gov't lately.

And BTW, anybody who think the dems want to raise taxes to pay off the debt/deficits is very mistaken. These guys want more money so they can spend more money, and that is the ONLY reason.

You know you can influence the answers to survey from the way you frame the question, right? And of course who you ask. Sorry if I'm not overly impressed.

There's only 220,000 out of 310 MILLION in this country that make 1 million and over a year.

And the way these Occupy Wall Street Occupiers are acting--it's like the whole dam country makes 1 million a year--EXCEPT THEM---:lol:

Raising 220,000 Americans taxes--is NOT even going to put a minut SCRATCH into the current debt of this nation. It's just MATH---:lol:

This is Harry Reid's plan--not Barack Obama's. Obama wanted to go after the 250K crowd which both democrats and republicans were against--because you are hitting millions of small business people in the gut with this tax--and 99.999% of those businesse's are not located on two blocks in lower Manhattan. Barack Obama has repeatedly stated he wants and all or none new jobs bill. IOW--he will not compromise with Harry Ried or John Bohner. So it's still DOA.

$1 billion dollars.jpg
1 billion dollars--$100.00 bills stacked on palets.

$trillion dollars.jpg
1 trillion dollars--$100.00 bills stacked on palets. NOTE--how small the man is in this chart.

We are 14.7 TRILLION in red ink now--with another 64 TRILLION in unfunded liabilities--our government is borrowing .43 cents on every dollar it spends.

Last edited:
Wonder how many of those 768 respondents in the AmEx poll make over a million bucks income? Bet most of 'em don't. Makes you wonder how many of these guys have written a check to the gov't lately.

And BTW, anybody who think the dems want to raise taxes to pay off the debt/deficits is very mistaken. These guys want more money so they can spend more money, and that is the ONLY reason.

You know you can influence the answers to survey from the way you frame the question, right? And of course who you ask. Sorry if I'm not overly impressed.

There's only 220,000 out of 310 MILLION in this country that make 1 million and over a year.

And the way these Occupy Wall Street Occupiers are acting--it's like the whole dam country makes 1 million a year--EXCEPT THEM---:lol:

Raising 220,000 Americans taxes--is NOT even going to put a minut SCRATCH into the current debt of this nation. It's just MATH---:lol:

This is Harry Reid's plan--not Barack Obama's. Obama wanted to go after the 250K crowd which both democrats and republicans were against--because you are hitting millions of small business people in the gut with this tax--and 99.999% of those businesse's are not located on two blocks in lower Manhattan. Barack Obama has repeatedly stated he wants and all or none new jobs bill. IOW--he will not compromise with Harry Ried or John Bohner. So it's still DOA.

View attachment 15544
1 billion dollars--$100.00 bills stacked on palets.

View attachment 15545
1 trillion dollars--$100.00 bills stacked on palets. NOTE--how small the man is in this chart.

We are 14.7 TRILLION in red ink now--with another 64 TRILLION in unfunded liabilities--our government is borrowing .43 cents on every dollar it spends.

^

Oreo's post is absolutely correct. But it is less a defense of letting the superrich go untaxed then it is a defense of repealing the Bush tax cuts IN FULL . . .

. . . or adopting Simpson-Bowles.

How is raising taxes on millionaires going to make it possible for anyone to buy kitchen cabinets if they can't afford them now?

Well, how else are we going to pay for Medicare and Medicaid for you baby boomers?

We aren't. End of story. The government couldn't possibly afford the promises it has made.

Should we plead to the job creators to innovate that money into existence?

Do you think government can wave its magic wand and create the wealth necessary to provide the benefits?

Furthermore, you failed to answer the question: how does raising taxes on the wealthy make it possible for the middle class to afford what they can't afford now?

Once again Americans show that they want to raise taxes on everyone but themselves.

But since Obama has defined "rich" as those making 200K a year or more it seems a safe bet that those making 100K would be all for it.

Good for them.

Somebody making low six figures isn't remotely in the same class as somebody making seven figures.

Forum List

Back