Poll: Unions Weaken America

also from the article:

Still, those who have a favorable view of labor unions edge those with an unfavorable opinion by seven points – 49% to 42%.

as the working class continues to crumble and workers rights continue to be taken away unions will gain popularity again.

You serious??

The history of union labor is replete with leg breaker squads, involvement with organized crime (redundant, I know), and general hooliganism.

But then again, there's the overwhelming competence and efficiency of AFSCME and NEA/AFT to fall back upon....If that helps.

You serious??

The history of union labor is replete with leg breaker squads, involvement with organized crime (redundant, I know), and general hooliganism.

But then again, there's the overwhelming competence and efficiency of AFSCME and NEA/AFT to fall back upon....If that helps.

since you are so into the history of unions how did those types get introduced to the unions? could it be as a force to fight the leg breaking thugs the bosses sent to beat up the union organizers and picketers? some corporations rob the American people blind and nobody cares but an organization of American workers runs into some trouble and every union member is painted in a negative light even though the corporate types wield much more power and are much more corrupt.

I worked mainly in various consruction fields from the late 70's into the early 90's always non-union in non-union states . Then I went to San Jose , California which is heavily union . Found a non-union 6 story poured in place concrete building going up and hired on there . Had to cross a picket line every morning , union people would stand at the gate with crazy dogs , they'd throw sheet rock screws in our parking lot , I had five or six in each one of my tires . In general they acted like big babies . Hey , somebody had enough money to buy property and build a big building on it , and chose to use a non-union general contractor , what's the big deal . I suppose unions believe they should just automatically get everything handed to them , they don't believe in choice or competition . Granted there were some tough working conditions 100 years ago , but those days are long gone .

I worked mainly in various consruction fields from the late 70's into the early 90's always non-union in non-union states . Then I went to San Jose , California which is heavily union . Found a non-union 6 story poured in place concrete building going up and hired on there . Had to cross a picket line every morning , union people would stand at the gate with crazy dogs , they'd throw sheet rock screws in our parking lot , I had five or six in each one of my tires . In general they acted like big babies . Hey , somebody had enough money to buy property and build a big building on it , and chose to use a non-union general contractor , what's the big deal . I suppose unions believe they should just automatically get everything handed to them , they don't believe in choice or competition . Granted there were some tough working conditions 100 years ago , but those days are long gone .

Thank you for the great post - you have a similar story to that of members of my own family. There was a time unions served a legitimate purpose in our society - but that time passed decades ago.

The unions of more recent times are simply another extension of the era of entitlement...

scabs get treated like they deserve to be treated.

Hey , I'm proud to have been a scab , it means I've gone where I wanted to go and did whatever I could to make an honest living . I'm not locked in to any one trade , I've tried my hand at many different skilled trades . I've succeeded on my own merit and failed by my own hand , I don't owe anybody for my wins and don't blame anybody for my losses .

It isn't unions who are shipping our jobs overseas today.

We need good unions more today than we have since they first started. It is the only way the average worker has any voice against corporate unbridled power.

Corporations rule the world, and the little clones think that is just fine.

I don't suppose the goonish behavior of union thugs and rent-a-mobs has anything at all to do with their falling into

Read your history and not just Fox. The thugs were often hired by the companies to break the unions and killed some of the union demonstrators.

Amazing how many sheeple we have in corporate America today.

Unions become harmful when they fall prey to the very greed which led the the corporations' abuse of the worker, which first spawned the union in reaction to such exploitation. It is much like the death of the American republic, where the very authoritarianism and corrupt central authority which first led the Patriots to raise their arms now consumes those in the highest offices.

The cycle of human affairs continues and for all the changes in the scenery and the technology by which men might make possible their desires, the human heart remains unchanged, and much the human condition with it.

The world might be cyclical
or maybe I'm just cynical
but I swear I read this chapter before
I've seen this story
played out in history
too many fucking times

Hey , I'm proud to have been a scab , it means I've gone where I wanted to go and did whatever I could to make an honest living . I'm not locked in to any one trade , I've tried my hand at many different skilled trades . I've succeeded on my own merit and failed by my own hand , I don't owe anybody for my wins and don't blame anybody for my losses .

and some people are proud of being spouse abusers, scabs who help lower wages for the working class are no better than the illegal aliens that come here to take American jobs for lower wages.

Forum List

Back