Poll: The most unpopular institution in America? The Republican Party

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
After six years of George Bush, right-wing control of Congress, neoconservative dominance, corruption, Katrina response, budget deficits, and the Iraq War, what is the most disliked institution in America?

Answer: the Republican Party

Pew Poll, August 2007

Favorable Opinion Of:

Military 84%
Local TV news 79%
Daily Newspaper 78%
Cable TV News 75%
Supreme Court 66%
Major national newspapers 60%
Democratic Party 55%
Congress 45%
Republican Party 42%

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=348

I am really saddended by your hatred of the conservatives and republican party, and your need to lump us all together.

After six years of George Bush, right-wing control of Congress, neoconservative dominance, corruption, Katrina response, budget deficits, and the Iraq War, what is the most disliked institution in America?

Hard to believe there's only 9 institutions in America. Even harder to believe that the Republican Party is more unpopular than the Ku Klux Klan, eh?

Hard to believe there's only 9 institutions in America. Even harder to believe that the Republican Party is more unpopular than the Ku Klux Klan, eh?

I was actually thinking of bringing up this example...but really I'm not sure they deserve the name of an "institution". But your point still stands.

Wow, talk about distorting something. I concur with Semper Fi. Surely there are more institutions than that. Big tobacco, big oil, just to name a couple.

That and 42% approval rating (which is almost half the population) isn't exactley a scatheing indictment of the Republican party. Given the political split in this country that's not much lower than it should be.

Few questions also that i can't get libs to answer?

What's a neo-con? Is it a mythical creature like a leprachaun? I can't see that I've ever seen either.

The Katrina response had nothing to do with management at the state level?

Wow, talk about distorting something. I concur with Semper Fi. Surely there are more institutions than that. big tobacco, big oil, just to name a couple.

That and 42% approval rating (which is almost half the population) isn't exactley scatheing indictment of the Republican party. Given the political split in this country that's not much lower than it should be.

Few questions also that i can't get libs to answer?

What's a neo-con? Is it a mythical creature like a leprachaun? I can't see that I've ever seen either.

The Katrina response had nothing to do with management at the state level?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservative

Katrina had to do with failures on both the state and the national level. But when a disaster that large happens, the feds need to step in and help out...they dropped the ball. Before trying to "get libs to anwser" really simple questions, you should do some research on your own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservative

Katrina had to do with failures on both the state and the national level. But when a disaster that large happens, the feds need to step in and help out...they dropped the ball. Before trying to "get libs to anwser" really simple questions, you should do some research on your own.

Last I checked, "feds" meant everyone on the federal level of government. Therefore, any national failures dealing with the "feds" includes Democrats, Republicans, and everyone in between. It's not fair to only limit blame for whatever failures occurred during Katrina to Republicans, or even the "feds," especially when the initiative for preparing for an obviously large-scale disaster beforehand depends largely on local initiative (by state and local governments, that is).

Last I checked, "feds" meant everyone on the federal level of government. Therefore, any national failures dealing with the "feds" includes Democrats, Republicans, and everyone in between. It's not fair to only limit blame for whatever failures occurred during Katrina to Republicans, or even the "feds," especially when the initiative for preparing for an obviously large-scale disaster beforehand depends largely on local initiative (by state and local governments, that is).

Whose responsibility is it to deal with federal disasters? Its generally the executives...a.k.a. Bush. FEMA is run by Bush, not Congress. Bush declares it a federal disaster area, not Congress. Yes there are differences between the failures of preparing for Katrina, and the failures of properly responding to it, and I think that politicians in general have to share the blame for failing to prepare for it...but I think Bush has the lions share in the federal government for the failure to respond to it properly.

The Governor of the State refused to ask for Military help for over 3 days. Then blamed the Current admin for NOT invading her State and usurping her power. Now IF the military had moved before she requested it, we would be hearing how the evil Bush was trying to take over State Governments.

The mayor of the City of New Orleans IGNORED advice to evacuate until the day just before the strom hit, then refused to use the busses at his disposal to move people that had no way out, THEN after the story got out DEMANDED the US Government confiscate all the greyhound busses in the US and help his " people".

The Police in New Orleans provided NO protection at the location for people to gather for shelter, the city provided no water and no food at those locations, further the city did not even inform FEMA of all the locations, but afterwards demanded to know why FEMA couldn't move food , water and security to a city cut off from land and most air travel. The city police abandoned their jobs and some looted along with the mobs. County police blocked roads and bridges out of the city still intact and at gun point ordered survivors back into the city. The Governor placed most of the State National Guard troops with her OUTSIDE the city, to protect her ass. Then the city police seized private citizens weapons to prevent them from defending their property from thugs, thieves and looters. A US Representative commandered National Guard troops and vehicles to "rescue" HIS private property and his illegal money gotten from bribes.

FEMA had assets in the city with in hours of the storm passing, but could not move prepositioned supplies in for several days because the land links were out, the airports were down and there was no quick way to get material in. BUT with in 3 days they were in New Orleans in force.

The main problems in that State were caused BY the State and local officials.

kkk aclu jews nazis 49ers....where are they......

Admittedly thank you. The only other place I had actually heard the term was when used by libs in a derogatory sense. Also, funny when liberals use the term that it doesn't seem that the wiki definition is what they're talking about. Dead, based on that definition, wouldn't traitorous liberals also suffice?

Sorry, I'll rephrase. Please honestly answer the question.

Admittedly thank you. The only other place I had actually heard the term was when used by libs in a derogatory sense. Also, funny when liberals use the term that it doesn't seem that the wiki definition is what they're talking about. Dead, based on that definition, wouldn't traitorous liberals also suffice?

Then frankly you need to read more about modern day politics by people who know what they are talking about.

And the only time Dead said neoconservative was to refer to neocon dominance...and who exactly do you think is a traitorous liberal?

Whose responsibility is it to deal with federal disasters? Its generally the executives...a.k.a. Bush. FEMA is run by Bush, not Congress. Bush declares it a federal disaster area, not Congress. Yes there are differences between the failures of preparing for Katrina, and the failures of properly responding to it, and I think that politicians in general have to share the blame for failing to prepare for it...but I think Bush has the lions share in the federal government for the failure to respond to it properly.

So President Bush is blamed for not responding "properly," yet the state and local officials aren't mentioned anywhere in your post, even though they failed to take preemptive action to avoid a federal disaster? The Gunnery Sergeant beat me to it, and I'm not going to repeat everything he just said.

Then frankly you need to read more about modern day politics by people who know what they are talking about.

And the only time Dead said neoconservative was to refer to neocon dominance...and who exactly do you think is a traitorous liberal?

Maybe you should read your own wiki. I was referring to the definition given that neo-cons were originally a new kind of conservative made up of defected liberals.

That being the case I stand by my earlier assertion that the lib pundits who use the term don't seem to be referring to the people described in your link. The left-wing pundits refer to Bush and Cheney as neo-cons even though neither of them were ever liberals. Honestly the closest person that could maybe be loosely described as a neo-con is Lieberman.

As far as rephrasing to answer questions honeslty. No honest person can lay what happened there solely, or even primarily, at the feet of the administration or the Republicans.

Maybe you should read your own wiki. I was referring to the definition given that neo-cons were originally a new kind of conservative made up of defected liberals.

They are. You are aware that the neoconservative idea that engaging in foreign wars is a good thing is really a liberal idea, right? Whereas conservatives tend to be very isolationist.

That being the case I stand by my earlier assertion that the lib pundits who use the term don't seem to be referring to the people described in your link. The left-wing pundits refer to Bush and Cheney as neo-cons even though neither of them were ever liberals. Honestly the closest person that could maybe be loosely described as a neo-con is Lieberman.

Err...neoconservatism came out of a rejection of liberalism by former liberals. That doesn't mean that everyone who is a neocon now arrived at their beliefs through the same process that the original neocons did. Read further on about the "three pillars of neoconservatism" and what they stand for.

to be fair, the republican party are a bunch of idiots. Thats why they're dropping like flys. they've made there money from iraq, time to dissaper.

I thought the most interesting part of the above cited Pew Research study is represented in the following chart and quote. The contrast between the Republicans and Democrats could hardly be more clear. Republicans trust the military's version of events in Iraq and distrust the news media. While Democrats distrust the military and trust the news media. For me, it boils down to confidience in the military and news media as institutions. The US military has demonstrated its ability to execute the difficult tasks ordered by civilian leaders. I do not see the military as having a particular ideological axe to grind. In contrast, I do not have confidence that the news media has adequately executed the difficult job of covering the Iraq War. As a result of MSM news coverage (especially TV), the population of the US knows all about the homicide bombings, and comparatively little about any other events. Recent studies have indicated that a high percentage of news media personnel are from the Left side of the political spectrum. I see the news media as having an ideological axe to grind, and that this has affected the content of Iraq War coverage.

More Trust the Military on Iraq

complete article: http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=348

348-11.gif

The deep political divisions in opinions about the press are reflected in views of coverage of the Iraq war. Overall, about four-in-ten Americans (42%) express a great deal or a fair amount of confidence that the press is giving the public an accurate picture of how the Iraq war is going. By comparison, more people (52%) say they are confident that the U.S. military is presenting an accurate picture of the war.

As might be expected, Republicans express little confidence in the accuracy of war coverage. Only about a third of Republicans (34%) say they have a great deal or a fair amount of confidence the press is giving an accurate picture of the war. More than twice as many Republicans (76%) have confidence that the U.S. military is accurately portraying the war in Iraq.

By contrast, a solid majority of Democrats (56%) have confidence in the press to give an accurate picture of Iraq, while just 36% express comparable trust in the U.S. military. Nearly a quarter of Democrats (23%) say they have "no confidence at all" in the military to give an accurate account of progress in the war; about the same percentage of Republicans expresses no confidence in the press (26%).

Half of independents say they have a great deal or a fair amount of confidence in the military to give an accurate picture of how the war is going, while nearly as many independents (46%) express little or no confidence in the military. Yet independents have significantly less trust in the press when it comes to war coverage; just 38% are confident the press is giving an accurate picture of war developments, while 60% have little or no confidence in war coverage.

Public confidence in how well the military and the press are doing in informing the public about the war has changed little since the spring. In Pew's weekly News Interest Index survey conducted March 30-April 2, 46% said they had a great deal or a fair amount of confidence in the military to give an accurate picture of the war, while 38% said the same about the press. Confidence in both institutions is down substantially since the early phase of the war; in March 2003, 85% expressed confidence in the military to give an accurate picture or war progress while nearly as many (81%) voiced confidence in the press.

to be fair, the republican party are a bunch of idiots. Thats why they're dropping like flys. they've made there money from iraq, time to dissaper.

It is truly amazing that you started this post with the words "to be fair". Idiots, that isn't fair. That's an opinion. Dropping like flys? 42% is slightly less than the split in left and right wing in this country plus a few on the right who are no longer fans of this war. If they're dropping like flys, that number should be a lot lower. Made their money off the war? How exactley?

Forum List

Back