Poll shows support for impeachment

G

Gabriella84

http://www.zogby.com/Soundbites/ReadClips.dbm?ID=11562

The latest poll shows more support for impeaching Bush now, than there was for impeaching Clinton when Congress did so in 1998. But the mainstream wimpmedia are reluctant to report on this. Here are portions of an article that managed to sneak into the Washington Post.

by Dan Froomkin

More than four in 10 Americans, according to a recent Zogby poll, say that if President Bush did not tell the truth about his reasons for going to war with Iraq, Congress should consider holding him accountable through impeachment.

But you wouldn’t know it from following the news. Only three mainstream outlets that I can find made even cursory mention of the poll last week when it came out.

You also wouldn’t know it judging from the political discourse in Washington, but that makes a little more sense. After all, impeachment is for all practical purposes a political act, not a legal one. So with a Republican-controlled Congress that doesn’t even like to perform basic White House oversight, it’s basically a moot point.

Nevertheless, could there be anything that 42 percent of Americans agree on that the media cares about so little?

The poll results certainly illustrate the intense polarization of the-- American electorate not exactly news.

But they also suggest an appetite for more investigation into Bush’s reasons for war and specifically -- in light of the assertions in the Downing Street memos -- whether his public rationales were in fact at all like his private rationales.

One topic for further inquiry, for instance, could be whether in private conversations Bush expressed the same kind of reticence about war that he advertised publicly. Some evidence -- stories like this one in Time, for instance, which quotes Bush saying in March 2002: ’[Expletive] Saddam. we’re taking him out.’ -- suggests otherwise.

Was Bush motivated more by personal animosity toward Saddam Hussein than by a post-Sept. 11 desire to protect America from a grave threat? Did he exaggerate that threat? At what point was war inevitable?

Those are not settled questions. And evidently quite a few Americans would like to see some accountability if Bush deceived them.

The Poll

The impeachment question was part of a Zogby International poll conducted early last week, and released on Thursday.

It found that Bush’s job approval ratings had slipped a point from the previous week, to 43 percent.

But the jaw-dropper was that 42 percent said they would favor impeachment proceedings if it is found that the president misled the nation about his reasons for going to war with Iraq.

Zogby noted: "While half (50%) of respondents do not hold this view, supporters of impeachment outweigh opponents in some parts of the country.

"Among those living in the Western states, a 52% majority favors Congress using the impeachment mechanism while just 41% are opposed; in Eastern states, 49% are in favor and 45% opposed. In the South, meanwhile, impeachment is opposed by three-in-five voters (60%) and supported by just one-in-three (34%); in the Central/Great Lakes region, 52% are opposed and 38% in favor....

Pollingreport.com offers the results broken down by party. Among Democrats, 59 percent answered the impeachment question affirmatively -- as well as 25 percent of Republicans.

Shailagh Murray of The Washington Post made the poll results the third item in the paper’s Sunday politics column: "Even the pollster couldn’t believe his eyes. ’It was much higher than I expected,’ John Zogby said of the 42 percent....

"By comparison, in October 1998, as the House moved to impeach President Bill Clinton over the Monica S. Lewinsky scandal, a Zogby poll found that 39 percent of voters supported the House action, while 56 percent opposed it....

"Zogby said the hypothetical question ’reveals just how badly divided this country is over the war,’ but also that people may be more comfortable with the idea of throwing a president out of office....

"Unlikely that the Republican-led House will begin proceedings anytime soon. But the Web sites are up and running. Impeachcentral.com is running a petition drive. Impeachbush.org is planning a march on Washington in September. Thefourreasons.org site argues that the Iraq invasion was unconstitutional. Afterdowningstreet.org asserts that Bush secretly decided to go to war and to mislead Congress in mid-2002."

From Zogby?

His polls were 100% wrong on election day. Rassmussen was much closer and realclearpolitics.com was almost perfect, check some of the other sources before assuming that Zogby is accurate.

At least check the accuracy of your source in previous polls to see if they may or may not be slanting their questioning...

Gabriella84 said:
if President Bush did not tell the truth about his reasons for going to war with Iraq, Congress should consider holding him accountable through impeachment.

Of course that's the case. (shrug) no news here.

Gabby, I gave you more credit, here's one of the freaking questions with the idiotic answer spans:

"It's been reported that one of George W. Bush's closest advisers, Karl Rove, spoke briefly with a reporter about this CIA agent. If investigators find that Rove leaked classified information, do you think he should or should not lose his job in the Bush Administration?"

Should Should Not Unsure
% % %
ALL 75 15 10
Republicans 71 17 12
Independents 74 17 9
Democrats 83 12 5

Based on 'reports'. IF this is found... Such total garbage and you call yourself 'educated' much less, 'well educated?'

what, was this poll taken on DU?

polls are BS because they can control the areas in which they make their phonecalls. a good example is MY state, Minnesota (aka confusion-we have a majority DFL legislature, but a GOP Governor and Senators :wtf: )

if you were to poll the northern suburbs, as well as most southern suburbs of Mpls and st paul, and then just poll Mpls and St Paul, you would get 2 WAY different results.
Northern and western suburbs like Anoka, Blaine, Coon Rapids, Fridley, Champlin, Elk River, Lino Lakes, Andover, Ramsey, Maple Grove, Plymouth & Minnetonka, voted for Bush 3-1. Same with most of the southern suburbs like Inver Grove Heights, Cottage Grove, Mendota Heights, Oakdale, Maplewood, Woodbury, voted for Bush 2-1.

however, if you just polled the cities of Minneapolis and St paul, you would get voters for Wafflehead or Nad-less 2-1. chances are those same people are for the impeachment, though no actual laws have been broken or crimes have been committed.

it is just a matter of what area code you dial. for all you know, the poll results could be made up as well. I would like a record of all the phone numbers and tapes of the people they have called, in order to prove their numbers are legit. if they can't cough 'em up, they are then fulla-shit

I don't post here very often but i lurk here daily.

I have been registered for a year and a half and have noticed many people come and go. I have yet to see an intelligent thread started by a left-winger.(the exception being one of the board moderators, the name escapes me)

The "IF" in this threads main statement is huge. Although I am a supporter of the current administration I too would say "IF" he lied impeach him. I don't think there is one red blooded american who would disagree(at least i hope not)

P.S.
i will never waste my time reading another thread started by gabrielle64.

http://www.tradesports.com/

Go where the money is. Thats what people believe. Tradesports had EVERY state correct in the election including DC based on the way people placed bets on who they thought would win.

thats the only way to accurately take the peoples opinion. See when they put the money where their mouth is.

Forum List

Back