Poll shows no convention bounce for Obama

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) -- On the eve of the Republican convention, a new national poll suggests the race for the White House remains even.

CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll released Sunday night shows the Obama-Biden ticket leading the McCain-Palin ticket by one point, 49 percent to 48 percent, with the statistical margin of error.

The survey was conducted Friday through Sunday, after both the conclusion of the Democratic convention and Sen. John McCain's selection of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.

A previous CNN poll, taken just one week earlier, suggested the race between McCain, R-Arizona, and Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, was tied at 47 percent each.

"The convention and particularly Obama's speech seems to be well-received. And the selection of Sarah Palin as the GOP running mate, also seems to be well-received. So why is the race still a virtual tie? Probably because the two events created equal and opposite bounces assuming that either one created a bounce at all," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

Poll shows no convention bounce for Obama - CNN.com

Pick whatever poll you want. 3 points is margin of error, so all polls show an even race. That means no bounce.

What I love is when Obama is up, Polls are the greatest thing since sliced bread and prove he will win, when he is down in the polls, they mean nothing and are worthless.

problem for McCain is that he's not picking up any Kerry states

if I were him I'd send Todd Palin, Mitt Romney, or some surrogate to pound Michigan, where Dems are having problems because of the scandals and unpopularity of Kwame and Granholm

I wouldn't put too much stock in polls published by the major media outlets this election year.

Remember, the compilers and publishers of those polls are employees of the very corporations that are going to fight tooth and nail to keep their D.C. gravy train flowing.

Change is required. Change is coming. The republican mortgage has come due and the people still need to eat.

Exciting times, eh?!?

-Joe

What I love is when Obama is up, Polls are the greatest thing since sliced bread and prove he will win, when he is down in the polls, they mean nothing and are worthless.

The polls (done correctly, of course) should give us a snapshot of public sentiment at the moment of the polling.

What I find odd is that two polls done at the same time can come out with wildly different numbers.

Is is obvious that one of them is wrong, or is the whole polling thing basically flawed somehow?

I really do not know, but I do know that I not longer much care what the polls tell me because they've been wrong so often in the past.

I'm not sanguine when a poll tells me my guy in ahead nor mortified when it tells me he is losing.

The only poll that matters is the election itself.

The polls (done correctly, of course) should give us a snapshot of public sentiment at the moment of the polling.

What I find odd is that two polls done at the same time can come out with wildly different numbers.

Is is obvious that one of them is wrong, or is the whole polling thing basically flawed somehow?

I really do not know, but I do know that I not longer much care what the polls tell me because they've been wrong so often in the past.

I'm not sanguine when a poll tells me my guy in ahead nor mortified when it tells me he is losing.

The only poll that matters is the election itself.

"Hear, Hear!"

-J

who gives a shit what the polls say?

has anyone on this site ever been contacted by one of these polls for their opinion? I know I haven't.

Yeah, I have.

I often make crap up if I think it's a push poll.

Maybe that's what's wrong with polls today, eh?

Too many people like me who object to having our brains picked by partisans?

No Bounce for Obama

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) -- On the eve of the Republican convention, a new national poll suggests the race for the White House remains even.

CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll released Sunday night shows the Obama-Biden ticket leading the McCain-Palin ticket by one point, 49 percent to 48 percent, with the statistical margin of error.

The survey was conducted Friday through Sunday, after both the conclusion of the Democratic convention and Sen. John McCain's selection of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.

A previous CNN poll, taken just one week earlier, suggested the race between McCain, R-Arizona, and Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, was tied at 47 percent each.

"The convention and particularly Obama's speech seems to be well-received. And the selection of Sarah Palin as the GOP running mate, also seems to be well-received. So why is the race still a virtual tie? Probably because the two events created equal and opposite bounces assuming that either one created a bounce at all," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

Poll shows no convention bounce for Obama - CNN.com

Forum List

Back