POLL: Should Pete Rose be reinstated and/or inducted into the Hall of Fame?

Should Pete Rose be Reinstated into MLB and/or enshrined in the Hall of Fame?

• Total voters

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
Pete Rose, holder of a lot of baseball records including most hits ever by anyone (4,256) has petitioned the new Commissioner of Baseball for reinstatement. He's been banned from involvement with the sport, and the Hall of Fame, since 1989.

(Wiki): Rose, a switch hitter, is the all-time Major League leader in hits (4,256), games played (3,562), at-bats (14,053), singles (3,215), and outs (10,328).[1] He won three World Series rings, three batting titles, one Most Valuable Player Award, two Gold Gloves, the Rookie of the Year Award, and also made 17 All-Star appearances at an unequaled five different positions (2B, LF, RF, 3B, & 1B).

What do you think? And has your opinion changed?

I personally think you can't have a Hall of Fame without including possibly your best-ever player, and that the issues of gambling and the issues of performance as a player, are separate issues.

Play ball!

Re-instate him, put him on the ballot, but he shouldn't have any job that relates directly to on-field issues for any team or MLB.

Not a Pete Rose expert, but didn't he just bet on his own team to win? If so, give him his due.

He bet on different things, inside baseball and outside. I believe he occasionally bet on his own team to win but there's no evidence he ever bet on them to lose.

Seem to have no compunctions about celebrating performance-enhancement users so punishing somoene whose only crime was betting on his own team seems hypocritical.

Steroid users actually effected a game's outcome by cheating. Pete Rose didn't cheat and only bet on his team to win. If he'd bet on his own team to lose there'd be a case to ban him for life.

Not a Pete Rose expert, but didn't he just bet on his own team to win? If so, give him his due.

He bet on different things, inside baseball and outside. I believe he occasionally bet on his own team to win but there's no evidence he ever bet on them to lose.

To me he has served enough time. However he did break the one rule they beat into your head every day in Baseball, don't bet on the game.

The "rules" against PED's were not in stone, and even when made, it was more "don't get caught" than "don't do it"

Lift the ban when he dies, then induct him.

Do not give him his spot in the limelight.

Don't worry about the roiders like McGuire, Bonds, Palmeiro, Clements, etc., for they are not getting elected by the writers. Maybe the Veterans Committee 25 years down the line, but now.

Someone will have to draw me a picture explaining how betting on your own team to win is undesireable.

It IS a rule that you can't bet, and everybody agrees to that -- even if it's not undermining your own team.
Had he done that of course that would be a whole 'nother ball game, literally.

Someone will have to draw me a picture explaining how betting on your own team to win is undesireable.

It IS a rule that you can't bet, and everybody agrees to that -- even if it's not undermining your own team.

Compared with cheating via chemical assitance, one's infinitely worse than the other.

He said he didn't bet on his team. Of course he said he didn't bet on sports, then he said he didn't bet on baseball, then he said he didn't bet on his team.

When is he lying, when is he telling the truth. If you owe someone enough, you could throw a game or to to make it back.

His ego now wants him in the HOF, let them vote on it after he passes away.

Compared with cheating via chemical assitance, one's infinitely worse than the other.

So far no one that got caught using PEDs, have made the HOF.

So far no one that got caught using PEDs, have made the HOF.

The older generation of writers are responsible for that.

That will eventually change in 25 years. But not for all of them: I don't think McGuire, Clements, Bond, and Palmeiro will get in during the next 50 years.

He said he didn't bet on his team. Of course he said he didn't bet on sports, then he said he didn't bet on baseball, then he said he didn't bet on his team.

When is he lying, when is he telling the truth. If you owe someone enough, you could throw a game or to to make it back.

"What he said" is kind of irrelevant, since he was lying, which is what you just said.
But the investigation that busted him never said he bet against his own team. So that's what I go by. They had plenty of evidence against him -- with his stature, they had to. If there had been that going on, we would have been told. By credible sources.

Nor does it even pass the smell test if you ever saw him play.

"What he said" is kind of irrelevant, since he was lying, which is what you just said.
But the investigation that busted him never said he bet against his own team. So that's what I go by. They had plenty of evidence against him -- with his stature, they had to. If there had been that going on, we would have been told. By credible sources.

Nor does it even pass the smell test if you ever saw him play.

The rules on gambling were in stone, to gamble on baseball was a lifetime ban.

Rose gambled and lost.

He's the single most overrated player in the history of the game.

He was never even the best player on any of his teams and was an utter asshole who never had the class to stand up and take responsibility for his actions.

I say keep him out.

MPV, Rookie of the Year, 17 time all star, 3 times batting champion, 10 times more than 200 hits in a year (leading the league 7 times), 10 times more than 100 runs scored in a year, played 119 or more games in a year 23 years in a row. And all time leader in hits, games, plate appearances, and at bats. Manager of the year once.

Oh, yeah. Those are HOF numbers.

He still does not belong.

Forum List

Back