POLL: Romney's VP

I don't have a clue how to set up a poll but the word is out that these are Romney's final 4.

And your choice is who and why?

1] Rob Portman - OH
2] Tim Pawlenty - MN
3] Paul Ryan - WI
4 - Bobby Jindal - LA

I choose T-Paw. Very competent. Blue collar background that can soften Romney's "elitist" image and attract the middle class.

Rob - don't know enough about him.

Ryan - need him as Treasury Sec

Surprised he picked Bobby but I agree he's very competent, average Joe and from the South.

Next?
T-Paw? You ever live under him? He did a few smart things, but not enough to make me go "that's my guy!" And yes, I had him as governor for 4 years. If you're going to take a candidate from MN, take Bachmann. She's a firebrand who'd severely fuck up the washington beltway "conservatives" entrenchment, take a LOT of heat off Romney and drive liberals BONKERS!

She also comes with some evangelical baggage and at times she has some Sarah Palin moments.

I don't have a clue how to set up a poll but the word is out that these are Romney's final 4.

1] Rob Portman - OH
2] Tim Pawlenty - MN
3] Paul Ryan - WI
4 - Bobby Jindal - LA

I choose T-Paw. Very competent. Blue collar background that can soften Romney's "elitist" image and attract the middle class.

Surprised he picked Bobby but I agree he's very competent, average Joe and from the South.

Next?
T-Paw? You ever live under him? He did a few smart things, but not enough to make me go "that's my guy!" And yes, I had him as governor for 4 years. If you're going to take a candidate from MN, take Bachmann. She's a firebrand who'd severely fuck up the washington beltway "conservatives" entrenchment, take a LOT of heat off Romney and drive liberals BONKERS!

She also comes with some evangelical baggage and at times she has some Sarah Palin moments.
Yes, and I qualified that with "IF you MUST choose someone from MN."

She needs to either run for Governor, Senator or retire.

My two favorites for the ticket, both say no way. Mitch Daniels and Condi Rice.

LOL you don't have a clue on a lot things, if you leave Rubio and Martinez off the list. I would also say Rice should be on the list.

Personally I want Rice, since she is not in poltics at the moment, but is extremely intelligent, can articulate herself well and is a very experience black woman. She would be numero uno.

I love Rubio and I put him second, but he is so important in the senate, I would hate to see him in the not so important VP role. Same for Martinez, but as NM governor!

My shortlist (all I would be happy with, so more than others):
(1) Rice
(2) Rubio
(3) Ryan/Ayotte/Martinez/West (these four are all amazing choices and I don't know which is better thant he next)

1] Rob Portman - OH
2] Tim Pawlenty - MN
3] Paul Ryan - WI
4 - Bobby Jindal - LA

Next?

Agreed--the opt left Marco Rubio off of the list--and I believe he would be Romney's 1st pick.

1] Rob Portman - OH
2] Tim Pawlenty - MN
3] Paul Ryan - WI
4 - Bobby Jindal - LA

Next?
1) Portman: Not enough information.

2) Pawlenty: Said he's not interested. And as a double-dealing RINO squish himself, Vinnie Vitalis already has that vote sewn up.

3) Ryan: Probably would get the TP -ers and maybe sway a good chunk of the Ron Paul types.

4) Jindal: Meh.
I detect little if no enthusiasm from your analyses, except for the statement "Meh" is as good as it's gonna get for this group. lol

I've heard the Romney camp was interested in putting a woman on the ticket, then no results on that rumor.

I hope he picks someone whom he can trust and work well with. That said, he might pick someone with a military background who is well-respected and loves his fellow Americans like no other.

Tom Coburn would be a good choice. It'll attract the anti-intellectuals from the Ron Paul wing.

My two favorites for the ticket, both say no way. Mitch Daniels and Condi Rice.

They all have said no way; which just shows how easy lying comes to statist Republicans.

Meh, the others have played coy with it. Those two seem pretty adamant.

I've seen Haley and Rubio and Daniels and everyone else deny it in no uncertain terms and yet it is obvious that they're all chomping at the bit for it. I'd respect them more if they just said yea, I want the job and I'll accept it if it's offered.

Palin had balls, too..............

How'd that work out?

I'd rather have competence and ability. I've had enough of the green teens in my political lifetime, whether they're black, white or female.

Frankly, I'm sick of "firebrands"

I'm sick to death of the loud rhetoric. I'm sick of politicians who act more like cheerleaders at a football game.

I want people who actually have enough experience to "play the game" and reach the end zone. I want serious dedicated "players", not pom-pom wavers.

My cousin, a MN Dem, gave T-Paw a heads up for doing a good job [as you did] and I respect his opinion.

We don't need another big mouth. We've already got one most of us would like to get rid of.

Palin had balls, too..............

How'd that work out?

I'd rather have competence and ability. I've had enough of the green teens in my political lifetime, whether they're black, white or female.

Competence and ability are fine but you can't govern if you don't win.

The Governor needs someone that can move the needle as a VP selection. The "needle" that he can move with this selection is to get the GOP base excited about him.

As you can tell from this board, no one is excited about Governor Romney.

Nobody.​

And for good reason; his policies are murky at best. Before he'll have a chance in November he must get his own party to first show up.

Look. For example, Romney has won Kansas. Not a problem. Here is his problem. The suburban voters in Kansas City, MO aren't excited about him. The urbranites will be out for the President. The Governor needs to win the counties around KC. The same can be said for those counties around St. Louis, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Denver, Columbus, Cleveland, Cincy (although they should go his way), Charlotte, Norfolk, Richmond etc...

If the temperature is 82 degrees and sunny on election day and there are some important races down ballot; they may show up in the suburbs. If there is a hint of snow they'll stay home thinking that he isn't worth it.

So, the pick needs to be someone that will deliver the vote that should have been there for him in the first place; and frankly would have been there for many of the other GOP hopefuls. I'm thinking some governor/senator from a Mid-West state. Tom Coburn comes to mind. The right wing of the GOP loves this guy; he has less baggage than Jim DeMint; he embodies the values of the TEA party while realizing that there is work to be done and this means working with those across the aisle.

The idea of some sort of Palin-esque game changer, Dr. Rice, or Rush Limbaugh being selected is a fun parlor game I suppose but I'm with you; competence is needed first. Rice is certainly competent but, again, you can't govern if you don't win. At the Presidential level, you can't go door to door; you have to look at it in voting blocks and there is a hard-right edge to the GOP that is still up for grabs between the Governor and Apathy.

Right now, apathy is winning and rightly so.

Last edited:
That's all fine and dandy.............

and I mean no disrespect but your analysis sounds exactly like dozens of other professional political analysts.

And what I say is this...........if the voters in this country prefer cheerleaders , Elmer Gantry sizzle, glitz and glam, the voters of this country deserve what they get.

If the voters in this country become apathetic when dealing with competence and experience, they deserve what they will get.

Apathy is winning. And rightly so? I find that an appalling remark to make.

With an attitude like that, we will end up a second rate country faster than you can blink.

That's all fine and dandy.............

and I mean no disrespect but your analysis sounds exactly like dozens of other professional political analysts.

And what I say is this...........if the voters in this country prefer cheerleaders , Elmer Gantry sizzle, glitz and glam, the voters of this country deserve what they get.

If the voters in this country become apathetic when dealing with competence and experience, they deserve what they will get.

Apathy is winning. And rightly so? I find that an appalling remark to make.

With an attitude like that, we will end up a second rate country faster than you can blink.

Sorry your appalled. You'll have to stay appalled. No sir; I will not retract that comment.

Apathy for Governor Romney is 100% the fault of two persons: Governor Romney and the common GOP voter that entrusted him with the nomination of their party. Governor Romney is a man on tenuous principles. His charisma has not been discovered in the nearly 10 years that he has run for President. He has flip flopped on any number of issues from abortion to the stimulus to the auto company bail outs, to global warming....it goes on and on. His achievements in the private sector are dubious at best. He may well know what it is like to be the head of a private equity firm but it is quite a stretch to marry that experience--whatever it may be--with those experiences of small business men and women and common working stiffs.

Nothing is wrong with being born rich and, to his credit, staying rich. And nothing is wrong with having no experience that is common to small business persons or working stiffs. The apathy his own party feels for him is that in this time of the OWS and TEA party; the GOP has nominated someone foreign to both entities. Should they have nominated Joe the Plummer? No. Should they have nominated Rick Perry? They could have done worse (maybe..hard to fathom). That many GOP voters cannot identify with the Governor is not a surprise to anyone or at least shouldn't be. It is almost as if the GOP had gone out of it's way to craft a candidate that has almost no constituency outside of a consonant next to his name on a ballot.

Governor Romney is a decent, caring, thoughtful man. I doubt he's Presidential material and I think a great amount of Republican voters agree with me.

We ALWAYS deserve the government we get. An ill-informed voter is a poor public servant's best friend.

Again, sorry you're appalled.

Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah!

I have to thank you for the good laugh.

Sorry. Some things just strike me funny. And your opinion of Romney is hilarious when compared to the "qualifications" Obama has produced or, worse yet, can't begin to produce.

Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah!

I have to thank you for the good laugh.

Sorry. Some things just strike me funny. And your opinion of Romney is hilarious when compared to the "qualifications" Obama has produced or, worse yet, can't begin to produce.

Hey, I'm happy to defend Obama's record (warts and all). Let me ask you this though, when you get through laughing would you like to comment on why, if Obama has been so anemic as the President, why a great many polls have the Governor trailing substantially, a lot of polls have him trailing by a few percentage points, and a precious few have the Governor ahead of the President?

I mean, if your take on Mr. Obama's record is right, wouldn't the Governor's numbers be higher? He's been campaigning for about 10 years now; it is not as if he is an unknown quantity that will win people over when they get to know him better.

Anyway, please consider his popularity and get back to me.

Thanks.

Candy R. Corn
Member, The Ruling Elite since '77

Did you know that about this same time in the campaign Ronald Reagan was losing to Carter?

And I would suggest you study the nuances of polls a bit more before you make such grand assumptions concerning who's ahead and who isn't :)

You also need to be aware that "popularity" doesn't win elections. Electoral votes DO.

Did you know that about this same time in the campaign Ronald Reagan was losing to Carter?

And I would suggest you study the nuances of polls a bit more before you make such grand assumptions concerning who's ahead and who isn't :)

You also need to be aware that "popularity" doesn't win elections. Electoral votes DO.

I didn't think you'd wish to comment on the Governor's position. Nice to see the hedge between "nuances" then talking about "electoral votes".

Now we're getting somewhere:

In 2008, President Obama received 365 Electoral votes. If he were to win the same states he won 4 years ago, he would wind up with 359 due to the census implementation.

So for Governor Romney to win, he has to come up with 89 votes that McCain did not get.

Can you point to the states that Governor Romney will win--that McCain did not--to get those 89 votes?

I would suggest you study the nuances of mathematics before replying. Feel free to actually put some skin in the game using Governor Romney instead of President Reagan. I know it's uncomfortable having to live with him as your nominee but you guys made your own bed....too funny.

Forum List

Back