Poll: Most Americans feel war not justified

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by nycflasher, Jun 11, 2004.

1. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 9:03 a.m. ET June 11, 2004

LOS ANGELES - A majority of American registered voters polled from across the nation now say conditions in Iraq did not merit war, but most are reluctant to abandon efforts there, according to a new Los Angeles Times poll.

Voters are increasingly concerned that Iraq is a quagmire America cannot escape, and they are doubtful that a democratic government will be established there, according to the poll published in Friday editions of the Times.

Fifty-three percent of respondents said the situation in Iraq did not merit war, while 43 percent said war was justified. When the same question was asked for Times polls in March and November, the numbers were precisely reversed.

But less than 20 percent said America should withdraw its troops within weeks, and 25 percent said the U.S. should set a deadline for pulling out.

“I never thought we should go to war in Iraq,” said Anne Wardwell, a retired museum curator in Cleveland. “But I think we have to see it through, because if we don’t, it is going to be a disaster in the region.”

Voters’ mounting worries about the war have damaged their confidence in President Bush, the poll showed. Forty-four percent said they approved of Bush’s handling of the war, compared to 51 percent in March.

The poll, which was conducted from Saturday to Tuesday, surveyed 1,230 registered voters nationwide. It had a margin of error of plus or minus three percentage points.

Forty-one percent approved of Bush’s handling of the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal, while 37 percent disapproved of his performance.

A majority of voters said presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry has done little to help: The poll found that 34 percent said Kerry has not offered a clear plan to handle the war, while 15 percent said he has. The other voters said they didn’t know.

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts? Not that we haven't discussed this ad nauseum. :rolleyes:

2. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    probably 75% of that 41 supporting bush and the war are the diehard bush supporters that would tell you 'bush was just doing what he had to do' if he sacrificed condi rice to baphomet.

3. Shazbot

Shazbot Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I can understand how many can feel the war was not justified, now that we have neither found wmd's nor any smoking guns. In my opinion the end never justifies the means. However, also in my opinion, the present "means" will be justified with time, as I feel that these wmd's and smoking guns are yet to be found.

At the same time, I think the war was necessary, albeit justified under different terms. Saddam was asking for a conflict ever since 1991, what with all the oppresion of his own people, the no-fly-zone violations, the shooting at our aircraft, the expulsion/lack of cooperation with the weapons inspectors, etc. We tried the appeasement route. Unfortunately, as Britain and France learned the hard way from their appeasement with Germany, post-WWI, it just plain doesn't work. Not to make the same mistakes as in the past, we decided to stop taking chances.

I guess what happened here (however bad an analogy), is we performed surgery on a man with a bad liver, under the pretense of removing his appendix...we haven't yet removed the appendix, but atleast we got the guy a liver transplant. Now let's just hope his body doesn't reject the new liver.

-Douglas

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Actually Flasher I think we need to get past 6/30, probably for a month or two before any such poll will hold any water. Not only that, how many of those people questioned do YOU believe have any clue of what's going on? Heck, most probably still couldn't tell you on a ME map, where Iraq and Afghanistan are, much less their neighbors.

Polls like this always make be leary, how was it phrased and what were the choices?

Just MHO

5. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Actually flasher, it was later revelaed that the polester also kept track of politcal affiliations of those that were polled and found that of those polled, there were 13% more democrats than republicans.

Even if it were even down the middle, the minds of 1200 people do not speak for the millions that live here. Thats why polls arent very helpful to decide things.

6. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Any poll marker "LA Times" can be immediately shifted 5 points to the political Right, as can any poll labeled "CBS/Newsweek" or "New York Times." And just so you know, I shift Fox News polls 3% to the Left.

So that puts the poll at 48% for, 48% against. Dead even in my eyes.

7. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Seems to me we have developed a case of ADD on a national level. Why is it that we are unable to commit to seeing a course of action through to its conclusion?

No matter if you agree or disagree with our actions in Iraq, the indisputable fact is that we undertook this task. The absolute WORST thing we could do is leave before the job is done. That is a slap in the face to every member of the military who risked his or her life in this endeavor. It would be a travesty for the memory of those who will not return.

Second, I don't believe that all the protests I'm hearing are genuine. I think that much of what is said in the public debate is simply a cover for those who are so self-involved that they see any this as a threat to their lifestyles.

Finally, could it be that the crescendo of bitching that has arisen recently is motivated by the fact that the left sees Pres. Bush's policies coming close to succeeding? The 30th of June is less than three weeks away. If the transition in Iraq succeeds, what WILL jacque francois kerrie whine about?

8. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    TV has created a instant gratification society where "if it aint giving it to me right now, i aint giving a shit about it."

As for the left. Ive given up trying to understand them. I know the proverb "Know thy enemy" but the left are mysterious in their motives. They say they want to stop the killing of innocents but they support abortion. They say they want world peace but they refuse to stop evil when it strikes. They say they want everyone to have a job but most of them don't even know what a job really is.

IT is a mystery. I'd be scared to think like they do.

9. Palestinian Jew

Palestinian Jew Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm glad to see that there are so many Americans that agree with my position from the start. Bottom line though, its still too early for polls to matter.

10. Xenimus

Xenimus Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This is silly, you could say the same thing about republicans 2X.
    They say they want to stop killing innocents, but they support the death penalty, and let hundreds of hungry children die in america every year. They say they want world peace, but wage war that kill thousands of people, support brutal dictatorships and communists, all in the name of 'peace'. They say they want everyone to have a job, but don't care if they become the working poor, while saying its their fault for not trying hard enough. Then they give corporations massive welfare, that dwarfs what poor familys get.