Poll: More Now Believe Jews Killed Jesus

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
The percentage of Americans who believe Jews were responsible for killing Jesus has grown in recent years, although it remains a view held by a minority of people, according to a poll released Friday.

The survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press found 26 percent of respondents believe Jews were to blame for the Crucifixion, up from 19 percent in ABC News poll in 1997.

The greatest increase was among young people and blacks.

Thirty-four percent of those under age 30 now believe Jews were responsible, compared to 10 percent in 1997, the Pew Center said. And 42 percent of blacks hold that view, compared to 21 percent seven years ago.

The poll was conducted amid controversy over Mel Gibson's epic "The Passion of the Christ." Some say the film unfairly portrays the role of Jews in Jesus' death, while Gibson and others insisted the movie is not anti-Semitic and is faithful to Gospel accounts.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...print.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

Funny, I was watching O'Reilly a couple of weeks ago and he had a guy on from a major research group(can't remember the name) and he said the numbers of people that believed the Jews were responsible for the death of Christ had gone down. I guess it varies from poll to poll. I personally thought the movie made the Romans look worse than the Jews.

But the Jews did kill Christ. Everyone did. he was killed for our sins and our weaknesses. Yet he forgave us all for His own death.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
But the Jews did kill Christ. Everyone did. he was killed for our sins and our weaknesses. Yet he forgave us all for His own death.

You are correct. But you left out that Christ, Himself, was a Jew; a direct descendant of David.

I just have to say this, I've been wanting to say this for so long. Why is it nowadays when someone says they are a prophet or the son of God, or the Messiah we lock them in a mental institutution, yet every God-based religion is based on ideas from people who did just that at the time they were alive?

I'm truly not trying to insult Jesus, who I believe was a good and gentle person, or Mohammed, or Moses or anyone else. I just find the juxtaposition kind of funny.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
I just have to say this, I've been wanting to say this for so long. Why is it nowadays when someone says they are a prophet or the son of God, or the Messiah we lock them in a mental institutution, yet every God-based religion is based on ideas from people who did just that at the time they were alive?

I'm truly not trying to insult Jesus, who I believe was a good and gentle person, or Mohammed, or Moses or anyone else. I just find the juxtaposition kind of funny.

acludem

The New Testament prophets were let out of jail by God himself on several occasions and Jesus warned us of false prophets. I figure that if we lock them up and God lets them loose, no harm done and now that person's got a few more believers.

Historically speaking, the Jews, specifically the Jewish religious leaders, were the ones who had Jesus arrested and sentenced to death, while the Romans were the ones who performed the actually scourging and cricifixion.
Spiritually speaking, all of us are responsible for Jesus' death, as His death was for the atonement of our sins. Therefore, if anyone has sinned, he/she shares in the guilt that Jesus' death paid for.

Originally posted by acludem

acludem

Apples and oranges. Point to a prophet that can discern the Word and tell of future events. You can't. Biblically, there are thousands of propecies that have come true including names of events and people. -Jesus being many of these. There are only 2 notable prophets to be seen anytime in the futre, and they will be here shortly:

Revelation chapter 11
King James Version
1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.
2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.
3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.
5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.
6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.
7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

Be Warned: I am not going to get into some petty argument about whether Jesus was a liberal or conservative. Nor will I dignify any attempt to draw parallels between Da Big J.C. and lunatics like Koresh or UBL or highjacking lunatics.

Even though I am an atheist, I knew that The Passion would affect me, I just had no clue as to how brutally hard it would hit me. Actually, I was very pissed at some of the Christians who filed out. Now, I couldn't get in their heads and am sure that most of them were very affected, but the fact that some of them were talking, saying to others that it was "really excellent," as if it were a fuc&ing Broadway show, really upset me. I literally could not speak for 10 to 15 minutes; it rocked me that hard.

I did not come away from it hating Jews. Actually, I was far more disgusted by the Romans. Still, any anger I had was directed only at those INDIVIDUAL Jews & Romans.

Not being religious, I came at it from a different angle, a more philosophical & humanistic angle.

1) I was reminded & repulsed by how barbaric people can be- as we have seen this week in Fallujah- completely devoid of humanity.

2) Is The Cause- whatever your cause- worth dying for?

Assuming He did exist and believed He was in God's charge, the power of his self-sacrifice overwhelmed me. The fact that His death was destined, it made His sacrifice that much more powerful.

I came out of the movie about the same way you did. I went with 3 friends, all of us Christian, and we didn't say a word from the time the film started until we had been back at the dorm for a few minutes. One other guy with us and I cried from the denial by Peter until the end of the film, with few breaks. Nobody was talking after leaving that theater. I think, most of all, the movie reminded me of what Christ was willing to go through to help us. In that way, it really hardened my faith. Christ gained nothing and went through that by choice. We gained salvation. It was no fault of the Jews or the Romans. In fact, many of them repented after the earthquake and the ripping of the temple curtain.

Quick sidebar on the ripping of the curtain:

In Jewish traditions, the temple curtain was the seperation between man and God. The curtain seperated the Holy of Holies, the only place in the temple God physically visited (and the resting place of the Ark of the Covenant), from the rest of the temple. Only the high priest could enter the Holy of Holies and he only once a year to make atonement for the sins of all the Jews. Before entering, he had to go through a long cleansing ritual involving prayer and animal sacrifice to ensure that he was free of sin before entering the presence of God. If any of these conditions were not met, he who entered the Holy of Holies was instantly struck dead and had to be dragged out by ropes tied to his ankles (tied there in case he dropped dead). Once Jesus died, and man was free of sin, God could be all over the Earth without mingling with sin. Thus, the need for that curtain as seperation was gone. When Jesus died, scripture claims that the curtain ripped from top to bottom, a feat no man could accomplish given that the curtain was dozens of feet high, not to mention the divine retribution God would have handed out on anyone trying to desecrate his temple.

All in all, I think the movie is a work of art and has done a lot of good for this country. I've already heard of two instances where criminals came forward and confessed after seeing the movie.

I honestly have not seen the movie and have no desire to because I don't like violence. I understand and admire that Jesus was willing to die for what he believed in. My cousin, a devout Christian, told me that she thought the movie was made primarily for viewing by audiences of faith. She didn't think that someone who was not already a believer would get much out of this film.

acludem

I tend to agree, and although I think it's a great film, I wouldn't recommend it to everybody. I mean, the fact that people are dying of heart attacks while watching it ought to be warning enough.

Forum List

Back