poll: Do you believe the Walker recall will have national implications?

Will the Walker recall have national implications?

• Yes

Votes: 30 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I dunno

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wisconsin is simply an example of the power of money when it wants power. Wisconsin republicans, and much of the populace in America, now believes the BS taught them by the propaganda machinery of corporate interests. Excellent piece below for the few rational Americans left in this nation of blind corporate followers, aka moonies of the right.

'How Did Wisconsin Become the Most Politically Divisive Place in America?' By Dan Kaufman

[..]

"Besides education, ALEC maintains seven other wide-ranging task forces, like “Tax and Fiscal Policy” and “Energy, Environment and Agriculture,” which promotes, among other things, legislation opposing climate-change initiatives. The group has recently come under scrutiny, largely because of the work of the Center for Media and Democracy. There was widespread outrage over ALEC’s role in exporting the “Stand Your Ground” law, at the center of the controversy over the death of Trayvon Martin, to other states — including a related bill that recently passed in Wisconsin. Since the Martin shooting, several large corporations, Coca-Cola and Wal-Mart among them, have ended their affiliation with ALEC. I asked Pocan if the increased exposure has stopped any ALEC-originated bills in the State Assembly. “Not really,” he said. “They get really good strategic advice. The head of Shell Oil flew out to New Orleans to meet with legislators.”

After signing Act 10, Governor Walker told a reporter for The Associated Press that the bill was “innovative” and “progressive” — words chosen perhaps because they resonate with the enduring pride many Wisconsin citizens still feel about their state’s pioneering political history. The current Wisconsin Blue Book contains a 68-page essay extolling the achievements of the 1911 Legislature, which included the establishment of the first workmen’s-compensation program, laws limiting labor for women and children and the passage of a forest-conservation act. President Theodore Roosevelt described Wisconsin as a “laboratory for wise, experimental legislation to secure the social and political betterment of the people as a whole.” Native icons like the populist senator and governor Robert (Fighting Bob) La Follette and the conservationist Aldo Leopold still loom in the state’s collective consciousness and legislative record. More recently, Senator Russ Feingold cast the lone vote against the U.S.A. Patriot Act in 2001."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/m...st-politically-divisive-place-in-america.html

Good post.

His Republican cousin THeodore, however, thought they were a brilliant innovation!

really? Well ole Teddy didnt get to see the results and let's have that link, so we may analyze the context, ok chief?

here you go, bucko:

Bull Moose Speech - Assasination Attempt

This is actually an excerpt from the Bull Moose speech he made where he had actually been shot by a would be assassin as he was entering the hall to give his speech, undeterred he went ahead and gave his speech before going in for medical treatment. I encourage the reading of the entire speech as it is very much the essence of Americanism.

...It is essential that here should be organizations of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize. My appeal for organized labor is two-fold; to the outsider and the capitalist I make my appeal to treat the laborer fairly, to recognize the fact that he must organize that there must be such organization, that the laboring man must organize for his own protection, and that it is the duty of the rest of us to help him and not hinder him in organizing. That is one-half appeal that I make.

Now, the other half is to the labor man himself. My appeal to him is to remember that as he wants justice, so he must do justice. I want every labor man, every labor leader, every organized union man, to take the lead in denouncing disorder and in denouncing the inciting of riot; that in this country we shall proceed under the protection of our laws and with all respect to the laws, I want the labor men to feel in their turn that exactly as justice must be done them so they must do justice. They must bear their duty as citizens, their duty to this great country of ours, and that they must not rest content unless they do that duty to the fullest degree...

more detailed references available upon request.

Freshest poll I can find shows Walker up 50-45: http://www.snc.edu/sri/docs/2012/201205_recallelection.pdf

If this holds, the Dems really shot themselves in the foot, and hell yes it will have national implications. The GOP will squeeze every drop out of it, as they should.

Oh hubris, you are a killer.

While the certainty with which you post is enthralling.......would you care to discuss what the national implications are? The squeezing of every drop part, especially.

What part of being recalled with nearly a million signatures and needing 25,000,000 dollars in corporate contributions to save one's ass suggests that there is any bragging to be done by this dummy?

Hubris? You ought to know.

One thing I just heard on FoxNews: the Walker recall vote will be next week when the Wisconsin colleges are in recess and the kids are gone. But the presidential election will be in november and the college students will be voting then, most of which tend to vote democratic. So it may be that Walker survives his recall but Obama still takes Wisconsin.

One thing I just heard on FoxNews: the Walker recall vote will be next week when the Wisconsin colleges are in recess and the kids are gone. But the presidential election will be in november and the college students will be voting then, most of which tend to vote democratic. So it may be that Walker survives his recall but Obama still takes Wisconsin.

Yeah wierd...They support Walker and his cost saving measures...but support Obama as obama does what the Unions want to do?

how convoluted and fickle is that? All politics is local?:eusa_whistle:

I never once voted in the town that my college was in. What makes you think students who are citizens of Wisconsin will not vote in their home town?

With all the national coverage the protests and cowardly fleeing democrats drew I believe it will. I also believe it will send a striking message to public unions that their grip on total control and power is broken.

No, not really.

The only thing a Walker win will prove is that people still like him better than Barrett.

On the subject of unions, though, I find this amusing.

In teh private Sector, working folks went along with the Oky-Doke and gave up their union wages, their pensions, their seniority protections and their decent benefits. They are now stuck with "At-Will" employment in a "Right to work" state where they live in fear their job will probably be outsourced to China anyway or they'll be downsized because they are too old and a younger guy will work for less. They can only hope to make it far enough and their 401K won't bust before they retire.

So instead of being angry at the Plutocrats who imposed this shit on them before they went home to their car elevators, they are mad because these Public Sector workers had enough clout to maintain good wages, pensions, and benefits.

It's like an arsonist burns down your house, and instead of wanting to put him in jail, you want him to burn down your neighbor's house, too.

Absolutely crazy.

Collective bargaining rights were taken away from public sector workers. Bargaining for wages was not included. They still have the same pension and benefits, they just have to pay a small portion of their good wages for them, as the rest of us in the private sector do. And, have been doing for many years.

With all the national coverage the protests and cowardly fleeing democrats drew I believe it will. I also believe it will send a striking message to public unions that their grip on total control and power is broken.

No, not really.

The only thing a Walker win will prove is that people still like him better than Barrett.

On the subject of unions, though, I find this amusing.

In teh private Sector, working folks went along with the Oky-Doke and gave up their union wages, their pensions, their seniority protections and their decent benefits. They are now stuck with "At-Will" employment in a "Right to work" state where they live in fear their job will probably be outsourced to China anyway or they'll be downsized because they are too old and a younger guy will work for less. They can only hope to make it far enough and their 401K won't bust before they retire.

So instead of being angry at the Plutocrats who imposed this shit on them before they went home to their car elevators, they are mad because these Public Sector workers had enough clout to maintain good wages, pensions, and benefits.

It's like an arsonist burns down your house, and instead of wanting to put him in jail, you want him to burn down your neighbor's house, too.

Absolutely crazy.

Collective bargaining rights were taken away from public sector workers. Bargaining for wages was not included. They still have the same pension and benefits, they just have to pay a small portion of their good wages for them, as the rest of us in the private sector do. And, have been doing for many years.

Unions want the whole enchilada or they'll throw a fussfit and unleash an OWS movement near YOU...

Freshest poll I can find shows Walker up 50-45: http://www.snc.edu/sri/docs/2012/201205_recallelection.pdf

If this holds, the Dems really shot themselves in the foot, and hell yes it will have national implications. The GOP will squeeze every drop out of it, as they should.

Oh hubris, you are a killer.

While the certainty with which you post is enthralling.......would you care to discuss what the national implications are? The squeezing of every drop part, especially.

What part of being recalled with nearly a million signatures and needing 25,000,000 dollars in corporate contributions to save one's ass suggests that there is any bragging to be done by this dummy?

Hubris? You ought to know.

I'll go ahead and assume that you're being serious with your question.

See, when either silly party wins an important election, they claim a "mandate". When you claim a "mandate", you proceed as if you received 98% of the vote, even if the margin had been razor-thin, and do everything you can to shove 100% of your agenda down everyone's throat. That's also known as "predictable bullshit partisan politics", and both practice it with great verve. "Verve" is another word for "energy".

So, back to the issue.

If Walker wins, the Republicans are going to proceed as if they have a mandate from coast to coast, as if they won with $25 instead of $25,000,000. They will point to the victory as a clear indication that the entire country is with them, and will aggressively deploy that notion as if it were a simple fact, such as 2+2= 4. The reason I said that they should just go ahead and do that should be clear: That is the sad state of contemporary American politics, and we sure bet our collective ass that the Democrats would do precisely the same thing. That is why my post was provided with such certainty.

Not sure why you're so defensive on this, but I do hope I have provided some clarity.

Last edited:
If Walker wins you will see a very energized democratic party.

If Walker loses you will see an empowered democratic party
I hope you're right about the Left being energized by defeat. But if Walker is not recalled my perception will be common sense is severely outweighed by ignorance, stupidity and weak-minded acceptance of right-wing propaganda. Because this man, Walker, is clearly a puppet of the One Percent.

Contrary to your optimism, I believe if Walker is not recalled the effect will be substantially discouraging to the Progressive movement. It will occur as manifest proof that things will need to get much worse before they get better -- provided it's not too late for any positive change.

If Walker wins you will see a very energized democratic party.

If Walker loses you will see an empowered democratic party

Heads I win; tails you lose.

Nice false dichotomy.

In your case, both parts are false.

In REALITY, when Walker wins, you will see a frantic and disheartened Democrat Parody.

If Walker were to lose you would then see a rabid Democrat Party try to duplicate that outcome, but with the same listless stupidity that is probably gonna cause the other outcome.

Public Unions and Democrats are running scared. Don't let em fool ya, they spent an awful lot of time & money smearing and trying to get rid of Walker. If he wins, it will be huge. The times, they are a changin. The Taxpayers are stepping up and telling Public Unions 'enough is enough.'

Forum List

Back