POLL: Do you ask yourself these questions?

Do you ask yourself these questions when consuming media you like?

• I'm a Republican/Conservative - YES

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I'm a Republican/Conservative - NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a Democrat/Liberal - YES

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I'm a Democrat/Liberal - NO

• I'm an Independent - YES

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • I'm an Independent - NO

• Total voters
I understand what the OP was attempting. Ironically bias was introduced into the poll.

When you're watching, reading or listening to news media that you prefer (we'll leave the "type" of media open here from Fox & CBS to Hannity & Maddow), do you find yourself wondering any of the following...

1. What facts & details are they purposely leaving out?
2. What facts & details are they distorting?
3. What facts & details are they just making up?

I sure do. And if so, does that bother you?

Yes Mac1958
I listen to and support Pacifica Radio and Democracy Now which is the real left that is left out of
mainstream media, and listen to independent Conservative moderates who are left out of the rabid rightwing media too.

They haven't figured out yet to listen to each other to get the whole truth in stereo and full surround sound!

What one bias leaves out or distorts for political hate bait,
the other side checks and corrects. So of course, if we put the two
together, all distortions would be corrected and only where the two
agree would that be established as common truth without spin.

the day the two forces unite, to clean up media from any more politicized garbage,
we'd change the market and make it where NO party can pay for propaganda to
spin the records their way. They'd all be held to accurate standards for the public benefit.
then the people would be in charge, not the party corporate machines that pay for
whatever they want to put out to sway votes this way or that way.

We have to put ALL the people before party interests, if we are going to end
this trend of selling political ads and "infomercials" as news when it's not.

Only it's not really "corporate machines" that are DRIVING the bus. It's because the NY Times is owned by a Mexican billionaire (actually he saved them from bankruptcy and just has the largest slice) or Jeff Bezos who's more than rich enough to kill the WashPo as a "political contribution". Or CNN that lowers itself to MANAGING propaganda management for dictatorships. Or Fox -- who is scoping out the lucrative "opposition" ground to this onslaught.

More and more, these "corporate machines" are in the war for ignoble purposes and they are taking casualties. Like when they try to side on a political issues and end up LOSING 1/2 of their customer good will. They never USED to go to war with 1/2 of their clientele. But now, we've escalated the battles apparently..

With the media dishonesty and polarization, you CANNOT be the voter in a representative Republic by being loyal to one set of sources. Even smaller more alternative sources should be listened to. That's why I HATE people who simply REJECT links and sources without checking the accuracy or completeness of reporting. Don't CARE what tthe source is. Address the Bull SHit..

Emily -- I used to be informed and entertained by KPFA when I was in the Bay Area. Was my source for GLOBAL news and conflict. But those jerks were always EATING each other for CONTROL of this wimpy operation. They would have on-air coups nearly every year and hostile takeovers of the microphones. It was quite dramatic. Like "big brother" house or some weird media reality show.. That's what Marxists do I guess when they get control of a "community asset".. :19:

Yes flacaltenn sadly because of mismanagement and bankruptcy rulings
Pacifica is being ordered to sell off their NY and Berkeley stations to settle with creditors
who set them up on purpose, to bankrupt the station so they could seize this overvalued
assets and sell them to commercial markets so they can profit off the losses.

I wrote out a plan to unite all independents and liberals around the Pacifica stations
and use each one to organize plans and resources for self governing solutions to each issue

See www.10million.net

WBAI in NY would be for women's issues of restitution for rape and trafficking
and organizing a whole business network to microfinance recovery and businesses run by and benefiting women
never made whole after rape because the justice system doesn't provide for that process of justice

WPFW in DC would be for Veteran led reforms and separating funding by party
and getting social garbage out of federal govt, giving taxpayers a choice which programs to fund as their
party structures the terms of membership and benefits b their own platforms

KPFA in Berkeley Oakland would take charge of environmental corrections, jobs education and reform
to rebuild the Ca economy on the value of this work to restore the land and natural wilderness and wildlife
including restitution to Native Americans as well as taxpayers rooked for corporate welfare bailouts and profits

KPKA inLA would be the hub for organizing restitution for immigrants and workers setting up
locallly owned campus jobs and housing for sustainable development along the border

and KPFT in Houston would lead the prison reform necessary to convert to a medical model for
proper diagnosis and treatment, rehab and recovery or detention for criminal illness so that
resources are reinvested in health care and education to provide preventative services
instead of wasting billions on crime and addiction that doesn't cure the causes.

2 million per station would launch a 10 million dollar national plan.
And the tradeoff would be if liberal Democrats agree to keep their social programs
out of federal govt, then the conservatives and Republicans would support free market
business plans, including loans and mentorship to help independents set up their
own programs to manage themselves outside of govt.

this would create jobs for
veterans
inmates
immigrants
dreamers
workers
and even party leaders, from Clinton to Johnson, Sanders and Stein, running for office who can prove
their leadership and solutions can work before expecting to get hired.

Why not challenge each party to set up their own networks and even city states
along the border in conjunction with Mexico that has 12-20 million nationals
living and working in the US who need cities to claim legal residency on their side of the border:
www.earnedamnesty.org

If students want to get involved, we can have media contests
to raise money and teach student teams with mentors how
to build schools in place of sweatshops and trafficking:
www.rightsfortheworkers.org

the media can be used as a tool to organize people and resources by party
to work in teams instead of fighting each other for dominance and power.

why not treat all parties as their own political religions and help them
to build their own programs and schools modeled after the Catholic church?

better to build schools and teaching hospitals than prisons.
better to pay for health care where it creates jobs providing services
instead of having to pay more for war where there is poverty and oppression.

this can be done by free market as all the successful models I have seen
are voluntarily run and funded, from Habitat to Humanity to Pace Universal
www.paceuniversal.com and Doctors without borders which works
more cost-effectively than the VA bogged down in govt bureaucracy.

When we agree to separate our taxes by party and set up our own
programs, the resources can go directly into solutions,not fighting in the media over problems.

Youre getting WAY ahead of the fundamental issues of a business plan and how they select mgt and leadership. Last year, they (the commune that thinks they run the place) decertified the ENTIRE board of directors because they wanted to change to the NPR model and allow some corporate sponsorship. Pacifica expanded way beyond what "listener funded" would allow. No conspiracy to ruin them.

They've been a warring democracy since the 80s. With no real listening base outreach or business savvy.

I think what she's referring to is the landlord at the Empire State Building tower space (from which WBAI has transmitted since 1965) jacked up the rent to somewhere over half a million bucks a year. The court sided with the landlord, hence the financial crisis. Although I wasn't aware there was a plot to target the two commercial-able licenses --- that speaks eloquently of motivations.

I don't know what BAI's plans are but they could certainly relocate their transmission elsewhere, at the expense of some signal (and new equipment although nowhere near half a million bucks).

$500,000 to rent a TOWER for an antenna? Or do they have studios in that building? Landlord probably has offers from other communications companies who can AFFORD that luxury..

Seriously.... If they want to be on the air in 4 or more places and do guerrilla jounalism, they should migrate to I-net or Sat radio.. THAT would be more in line with their Che Guevarra idolizing messages than a $500,000 rent on a tower in downtown Manhattan. I wish them well. But there's no common sense visible in the way they run Pacifica.

I understand what the OP was attempting. Ironically bias was introduced into the poll.

I'm not sure I understand what it was going for in delineating parties. Vast majority say "Independent" anyway.

Makes a slight difference because of the preponderance of "mainstream" media going full leftist. Indies tend to use none of it as OFTEN as the party animals do. I imagine 16 of our posters comprise 25% of the CNN daily "viewer hours" outside of those TV sets at all the airports that CNN pays for placement.

I sample both sides. As my blood pressure and stomach allows. But most of my "news" is from Reason Mag, Nat. Review and on-line at The Nation. I want LONG FORM journalism.. You can't possibly understand what's going on listening to talking heads or spin doctors.

All my favorite cable personalities are from CNBC or Fox Biz. Fox has the largest stable of declared Libertarians on Fox Biz.. And my favorite show is Gutfield Saturday nights on Fox. It's hysterical satire that I USED to laugh at on the late night shows. NONE of those are palatable anymore. But TOO MANY people list those partisan midnight comics as "their major source of news". Especially millenials..

Yes Mac1958
I listen to and support Pacifica Radio and Democracy Now which is the real left that is left out of
mainstream media, and listen to independent Conservative moderates who are left out of the rabid rightwing media too.

They haven't figured out yet to listen to each other to get the whole truth in stereo and full surround sound!

What one bias leaves out or distorts for political hate bait,
the other side checks and corrects. So of course, if we put the two
together, all distortions would be corrected and only where the two
agree would that be established as common truth without spin.

the day the two forces unite, to clean up media from any more politicized garbage,
we'd change the market and make it where NO party can pay for propaganda to
spin the records their way. They'd all be held to accurate standards for the public benefit.
then the people would be in charge, not the party corporate machines that pay for
whatever they want to put out to sway votes this way or that way.

We have to put ALL the people before party interests, if we are going to end
this trend of selling political ads and "infomercials" as news when it's not.

Only it's not really "corporate machines" that are DRIVING the bus. It's because the NY Times is owned by a Mexican billionaire (actually he saved them from bankruptcy and just has the largest slice) or Jeff Bezos who's more than rich enough to kill the WashPo as a "political contribution". Or CNN that lowers itself to MANAGING propaganda management for dictatorships. Or Fox -- who is scoping out the lucrative "opposition" ground to this onslaught.

More and more, these "corporate machines" are in the war for ignoble purposes and they are taking casualties. Like when they try to side on a political issues and end up LOSING 1/2 of their customer good will. They never USED to go to war with 1/2 of their clientele. But now, we've escalated the battles apparently..

With the media dishonesty and polarization, you CANNOT be the voter in a representative Republic by being loyal to one set of sources. Even smaller more alternative sources should be listened to. That's why I HATE people who simply REJECT links and sources without checking the accuracy or completeness of reporting. Don't CARE what tthe source is. Address the Bull SHit..

Emily -- I used to be informed and entertained by KPFA when I was in the Bay Area. Was my source for GLOBAL news and conflict. But those jerks were always EATING each other for CONTROL of this wimpy operation. They would have on-air coups nearly every year and hostile takeovers of the microphones. It was quite dramatic. Like "big brother" house or some weird media reality show.. That's what Marxists do I guess when they get control of a "community asset".. :19:

Yes flacaltenn sadly because of mismanagement and bankruptcy rulings
Pacifica is being ordered to sell off their NY and Berkeley stations to settle with creditors
who set them up on purpose, to bankrupt the station so they could seize this overvalued
assets and sell them to commercial markets so they can profit off the losses.

I wrote out a plan to unite all independents and liberals around the Pacifica stations
and use each one to organize plans and resources for self governing solutions to each issue

See www.10million.net

WBAI in NY would be for women's issues of restitution for rape and trafficking
and organizing a whole business network to microfinance recovery and businesses run by and benefiting women
never made whole after rape because the justice system doesn't provide for that process of justice

WPFW in DC would be for Veteran led reforms and separating funding by party
and getting social garbage out of federal govt, giving taxpayers a choice which programs to fund as their
party structures the terms of membership and benefits b their own platforms

KPFA in Berkeley Oakland would take charge of environmental corrections, jobs education and reform
to rebuild the Ca economy on the value of this work to restore the land and natural wilderness and wildlife
including restitution to Native Americans as well as taxpayers rooked for corporate welfare bailouts and profits

KPKA inLA would be the hub for organizing restitution for immigrants and workers setting up
locallly owned campus jobs and housing for sustainable development along the border

and KPFT in Houston would lead the prison reform necessary to convert to a medical model for
proper diagnosis and treatment, rehab and recovery or detention for criminal illness so that
resources are reinvested in health care and education to provide preventative services
instead of wasting billions on crime and addiction that doesn't cure the causes.

2 million per station would launch a 10 million dollar national plan.
And the tradeoff would be if liberal Democrats agree to keep their social programs
out of federal govt, then the conservatives and Republicans would support free market
business plans, including loans and mentorship to help independents set up their
own programs to manage themselves outside of govt.

this would create jobs for
veterans
inmates
immigrants
dreamers
workers
and even party leaders, from Clinton to Johnson, Sanders and Stein, running for office who can prove
their leadership and solutions can work before expecting to get hired.

Why not challenge each party to set up their own networks and even city states
along the border in conjunction with Mexico that has 12-20 million nationals
living and working in the US who need cities to claim legal residency on their side of the border:
www.earnedamnesty.org

If students want to get involved, we can have media contests
to raise money and teach student teams with mentors how
to build schools in place of sweatshops and trafficking:
www.rightsfortheworkers.org

the media can be used as a tool to organize people and resources by party
to work in teams instead of fighting each other for dominance and power.

why not treat all parties as their own political religions and help them
to build their own programs and schools modeled after the Catholic church?

better to build schools and teaching hospitals than prisons.
better to pay for health care where it creates jobs providing services
instead of having to pay more for war where there is poverty and oppression.

this can be done by free market as all the successful models I have seen
are voluntarily run and funded, from Habitat to Humanity to Pace Universal
www.paceuniversal.com and Doctors without borders which works
more cost-effectively than the VA bogged down in govt bureaucracy.

When we agree to separate our taxes by party and set up our own
programs, the resources can go directly into solutions,not fighting in the media over problems.

Youre getting WAY ahead of the fundamental issues of a business plan and how they select mgt and leadership. Last year, they (the commune that thinks they run the place) decertified the ENTIRE board of directors because they wanted to change to the NPR model and allow some corporate sponsorship. Pacifica expanded way beyond what "listener funded" would allow. No conspiracy to ruin them.

They've been a warring democracy since the 80s. With no real listening base outreach or business savvy.

I think what she's referring to is the landlord at the Empire State Building tower space (from which WBAI has transmitted since 1965) jacked up the rent to somewhere over half a million bucks a year. The court sided with the landlord, hence the financial crisis. Although I wasn't aware there was a plot to target the two commercial-able licenses --- that speaks eloquently of motivations.

I don't know what BAI's plans are but they could certainly relocate their transmission elsewhere, at the expense of some signal (and new equipment although nowhere near half a million bucks).

$500,000 to rent a TOWER for an antenna? Or do they have studios in that building? Landlord probably has offers from other communications companies who can AFFORD that luxury..

Seriously.... If they want to be on the air in 4 or more places and do guerrilla jounalism, they should migrate to I-net or Sat radio.. THAT would be more in line with their Che Guevarra idolizing messages than a $500,000 rent on a tower in downtown Manhattan. I wish them well. But there's no common sense visible in the way they run Pacifica.

That's half-mil for the space on the tower, yes. When the 50-year lease expired they jacked the rent way way up. The station's legal complaint was that that was way beyond the going rate. I don't know what the going rate is, but the destruction of the WTC South Tower would have inflated it.

Now of course there's another WTC building and it's got good tower space. Again I have no idea what their going rate is.

Internet radio is cute and all but relatively nobody listens They do, but not nearly in air numbers, plus you'd have to be wired in wherever you wanted to listen including in a car. Besides which, they almost certainly already do webstream --- most air stations do by now including ones not even on the air. Again it's nice that that's available but doesn't have the reach of airwaves. Nor does satellite, which requires a subscription, plus a carrier --- you can't just put your broadcast on Sirius XM because you'd like to have it there.

This is all the tech-business stuff anyway; it has nothing to do with Pacifica corporate management, which has always been a zoo.

I find NPR excellent at long form journalism, they go in depth on all sides of an issue and treat the topic with respect. They also don’t go out and pick the whackiest wingnuts to interview and pretend that represents the main view. Their news is news and their analysis thoughtful. They don’t confuse opinion and fact.

When you're watching, reading or listening to news media that you prefer (we'll leave the "type" of media open here from Fox & CBS to Hannity & Maddow), do you find yourself wondering any of the following...

1. What facts & details are they purposely leaving out?
2. What facts & details are they distorting?
3. What facts & details are they just making up?

I sure do. And if so, does that bother you?

I am none of these.

I am Votto.

I'm not sure I understand what it was going for in delineating parties. Vast majority say "Independent" anyway.

Makes a slight difference because of the preponderance of "mainstream" media going full leftist. Indies tend to use none of it as OFTEN as the party animals do. I imagine 16 of our posters comprise 25% of the CNN daily "viewer hours" outside of those TV sets at all the airports that CNN pays for placement.

I sample both sides. As my blood pressure and stomach allows. But most of my "news" is from Reason Mag, Nat. Review and on-line at The Nation. I want LONG FORM journalism.. You can't possibly understand what's going on listening to talking heads or spin doctors.

All my favorite cable personalities are from CNBC or Fox Biz. Fox has the largest stable of declared Libertarians on Fox Biz.. And my favorite show is Gutfield Saturday nights on Fox. It's hysterical satire that I USED to laugh at on the late night shows. NONE of those are palatable anymore. But TOO MANY people list those partisan midnight comics as "their major source of news". Especially millenials..

That is scary :(

Nope.
I watch Fox because they report unbiased facts.

I would say Fox is more truthful than the rest, but even their reporting is designed to manipulate opinion.

ALL MEDIA is designed to manipulate opinion. It's the purpose of it's existence in modern times. They're not going to expose and challenge political whores they're trying to empower.

Which is why it's important to watch. We need to know how we are all being herded around.

Actually some of the best bits of news comes from comedians.

Jon Stewart had a bit once about how Ron Paul was being ignored by the establishment and both Fox News and CNN.

They simply ran repeated clips of them talking around Ron and pretending he did not exist.

This is why I don't believe that the establishment really hates Trump. If they did, they would have ignored him like they did Ron Paul.

No, Trump is a big government politicians like all the rest which is evident when he signed the omnibus bill.

Last edited:
I find NPR excellent at long form journalism, they go in depth on all sides of an issue and treat the topic with respect. They also don’t go out and pick the whackiest wingnuts to interview and pretend that represents the main view. Their news is news and their analysis thoughtful. They don’t confuse opinion and fact.

And that's mostly because they're not selling anything.

Not sure where FCT pulled those 'too many' numbers from but I don't see it as that scary. Late-night comedians (or any time of day) are going for comedy. If they use a current event to riff on, it's necessary for the audience to first understand what the original event is. When that's established they'll make jokes out of it, but everybody in the audience comprehends where the reality ends and the joke begins and the difference between. They have to understand that distinction, or the joke won't work.

I'm sure I've been exposed to events I hadn't previously known about via comedians who already did know. Once the jokes have run if I found the original event worth looking into I would then do that, via all the reliable sources I could find. But to then suggest I don't know what that event is about simply because I first heard of it from a comedian, is a non sequitur. Comes off like a Poison the Well fallacy.

Which is why it's important to watch. We need to know how we are all being herded around.

All the leftist media is herding the sheep into an open pasture which makes them vulnerable to wolves.

Fox is herding cats.

Not sure where FCT pulled those 'too many' numbers from but I don't see it as that scary. Late-night comedians (or any time of day) are going for comedy. If they use a current event to riff on, it's necessary for the audience to first understand what the original event is. When that's established they'll make jokes out of it, but everybody in the audience comprehends where the reality ends and the joke begins and the difference between. They have to understand that distinction, or the joke won't work.

I'm sure I've been exposed to events I hadn't previously known about via comedians who already did know. Once the jokes have run if I found the original event worth looking into I would then do that, via all the reliable sources I could find. But to then suggest I don't know what that event is about simply because I first heard of it from a comedian, is a non sequitur. Comes off like a Poison the Well fallacy.

When you can not tell the politicians from the comedy --- all of your protestations about the difference go out the winders. NOTE: I didn't say the majority of millienials. I said "TOO MANY"....

Younger Americans get news from a new place

What is news has traditionally been decided by trained professionals who gather facts and attempt to present balanced, objective stories. Late-night television and comedy shows subversively spin the news with sarcasm and satire, creating what has become a critical source of information for young Americans.

According to the Pew report, 20 percent of Americans between 18 and 29, "by far the hardest- to-reach segment of the political news audience," regularly get campaign news from the Internet and 21 percent get election news from shows such as "Saturday Night Live" and the "Daily Show."

But does it inform?
“For Americans under 30, these comedy shows are now mentioned almost as frequently as newspapers and evening network news programs as regular sources for election news,” the report said. (“Saturday Night Live” is broadcast on NBC; MSNBC is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)

But late-night television's power to inform can be weak. The Pew study found that only 30 percent of young Americans can identify Wesley Clark as the Democrat who was once an Army general, and only 25 percent know that Richard Gephardt was once House majority leader.

Last edited:
What I find disturbing is that the soon Sinclair will have a monopoly on local news.

When you can not tell the politicians from the comedy --- all of your protestations about the difference go out the winders. NOTE: I didn't the majority of millienials. I said "TOO MANY"....

Younger Americans get news from a new place

What is news has traditionally been decided by trained professionals who gather facts and attempt to present balanced, objective stories. Late-night television and comedy shows subversively spin the news with sarcasm and satire, creating what has become a critical source of information for young Americans.

According to the Pew report, 20 percent of Americans between 18 and 29, "by far the hardest- to-reach segment of the political news audience," regularly get campaign news from the Internet and 21 percent get election news from shows such as "Saturday Night Live" and the "Daily Show."

But does it inform?
“For Americans under 30, these comedy shows are now mentioned almost as frequently as newspapers and evening network news programs as regular sources for election news,” the report said. (“Saturday Night Live” is broadcast on NBC; MSNBC is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)

But late-night television's power to inform can be weak. The Pew study found that only 30 percent of young Americans can identify Wesley Clark as the Democrat who was once an Army general, and only 25 percent know that Richard Gephardt was once House majority leader.

I'm hardly a millennial, but whatever. What I described was discerning the difference between comedy and actual news. Your basis seems to be that that doesn't happen, and that's absurd.

For example -- "does it inform"? Yes and no. It doesn't make one well-versed in the issue (the no) but it clearly can make one aware that said issue exists (the yes) whereupon the interested viewer then goes to find out more about that issue --- which process I've already described. Your thrust here seems to ignore that that process happens.

The comedian (in this case) is simply the seed for that process. Exactly "how" one first becomes aware of an issue is irrelevant to the issue itself, so whether one first hears it from a comedian, a co-worker, a hair-on-fire headline, a hair-on-fire message board post, whatever, the reader is going to then explore it further. This idea that the process is like a sperm-and-egg where nothing else gets in after initial contact just ignores how people process their info.

Forum List

Back