Poll: Despite mass shooting, most Colo. voters don't favor stricter gun laws

I think the vast majority of Americans concede that we are long overdue for some overarching restrictions on this second amendment right. I got it, it's everyone's constitutional right, and I agree but as members of a civilized society we are inelligent enough to process ALL relevant data from recent history and adapt this dated amendment. The challenge is working past the constitutionality of regulating this as the firearms control regulations act of 1975 has demonstrated. In this instance it was deemed that banning firearms in certain venues was unconstitutional? I don't know,maybe we should take a look at this attempt at regulation and go from there?
Follow the example of the jusrisprudence surrounding the 1st Amendment.
:dunno:

I think the vast majority of Americans concede that we are long overdue for some overarching restrictions on this second amendment right. I got it, it's everyone's constitutional right, and I agree but as members of a civilized society we are inelligent enough to process ALL relevant data from recent history and adapt this dated amendment. The challenge is working past the constitutionality of regulating this as the firearms control regulations act of 1975 has demonstrated. In this instance it was deemed that banning firearms in certain venues was unconstitutional? I don't know,maybe we should take a look at this attempt at regulation and go from there?

He lost me at "adapt this dated amendment"

It's just a long-winded way of saying "I don't care that 'right' is protected by the strongerst terms found anywhere in the Constitution -- I want to make it harder for law-abiding ciitizens to get guns!"

It's just a long-winded way of saying "I don't care that 'right' is protected by the strongerst terms found anywhere in the Constitution -- I want to make it harder for law-abiding ciitizens to get guns!"

No, not really, as society changes, our laws should change to reflect this changing dynamic. The constitution was designed with this in mind. I don't think the 2nd amendment should be stripped away, I am an advocate of more oversight and greater restrictions for those deemed unworthy of owning. Law abiding gun owners will be inconvenienced in the interest of the greater good.

It must be a conspiracy

Conducted from July 31 to August 6, the poll shows the majority of likely voters in all three swing states do not favor stricter regulations for gun sales.

Voters in Colorado, where a gunman last month killed 12 and injured many more when he opened fire in a crowded movie theater, were most likely to favor keeping gun laws exactly as they are, with just 38 percent wanting stricter gun sales in their state. Sixty-six percent of voters in that state also said they do not believe harsher gun laws would curtail future shooting sprees; 60 percent of Virginia voters and 57 percent of Wisconsin voters share that view.

Poll: Despite mass shooting, most Colo. voters don't favor stricter gun laws - CBS News

That's NO SURPRISE,they are American after all.

Where the 'right' to bear arms is far more important than preventing mass shootings.

Sorry, we don't feel the need to hand away our Freedoms so we can be lulled into a false sense of security simply to satisfy an irrational response to an unfortunate tragedy.

No, not really, as society changes, our laws should change to reflect this changing dynamic. The constitution was designed with this in mind. I don't think the 2nd amendment should be stripped away, I am an advocate of more oversight and greater restrictions for those deemed unworthy of owning. Law abiding gun owners will be inconvenienced in the interest of the greater good.

Nope, the second amendment is just fine the way it is, and there are already more than enough Laws on the books to alleviate any concerns you may have. We Law abiding citizens have been inconvenienced enough already.

Woopie greater restrictions in the hands of the body that the second amendment was create to defend against. the government.
The second amendment is a no touch amendment,PERIOD

Nope, the second amendment is just fine the way it is, and there are already more than enough Laws on the books to alleviate any concerns you may have. We Law abiding citizens have been inconvenienced enough already.

tough shit, be inconvenienced more and accept civic responsibility in the interest of the greater good. bad apples are getting guns too damn easy, we all have to take a hit ....ya that's where the civic duty part comes in

tough shit, be inconvenienced more and accept civic responsibility in the interest of the greater good. bad apples are getting guns too damn easy, we all have to take a hit ....ya that's where the civic duty part comes in

Yep those gun free zones really work don't they?

What part of this do you not comprehend?
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

No, not really, as society changes, our laws should change to reflect this changing dynamic. The constitution was designed with this in mind.
Yes. Article V allows for amendments to the Constitution.

Law abiding gun owners will be inconvenienced in the interest of the greater good.
I see "shall not be infringed", not "shall not be infringed except when doing so is for someone's version of 'the greater good.'"

Last edited:

We understand, you wish to restrict liberty out of fear.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgKbeTqzfWo]More Guns to Solve Gun Violence! More Gun Control More Crime! - YouTube[/ame]

Let's go ahead and just eliminate background checks then too, as long he/she's American, by golly we need to letem get theirs too, seein as how iz their right ta bear arms n all, im on board y'all, gimme one of them 12 gauge auto loaders wit tha pistol grip, need it for home defense

Let's go ahead and just eliminate background checks then too, as long he/she's American, by golly we need to letem get theirs too, seein as how iz their right ta bear arms n all, im on board y'all, gimme one of them 12 gauge auto loaders wit tha pistol grip, need it for home defense

I think statistics will show most guns used in a crime were stolen to begin with so back ground checks have no effect.

Civic responsibility like Eric Holder's DOJ walking guns into Mexico resulting in the death of Brian Terry? Spare me the bullshit. Law abiding citizens have been inconvenienced by you gun grabbing loons long enough, enforce the Laws that already exist and keep your paws off of my Freedoms. The Second Amendment wasn't about protecting yourself from criminals, it was about keeping power in the hands of the people so that one day some Politician doesn't decide he wants to stay in power a bit longer than the Constitution allows. Civic duty is protecting the freedoms this Nation was Founded upon, not altering our Laws to fit some people's twisted utopian ideologies. Sometimes tragedies do happen, but you don't let emotions trump rational thought whenever a tragedy occurs. Once you give up your Freedoms, it's damn hard to get them back.

Civic responsibility like Eric Holder's DOJ walking guns into Mexico resulting in the death of Brian Terry? Spare me the bullshit. Law abiding citizens have been inconvenienced by you gun grabbing loons long enough, enforce the Laws that already exist and keep your paws off of my Freedoms. The Second Amendment wasn't about protecting yourself from criminals, it was about keeping power in the hands of the people so that one day some Politician doesn't decide he wants to stay in power a bit longer than the Constitution allows. Civic duty is protecting the freedoms this Nation was Founded upon, not altering our Laws to fit some people's twisted utopian ideologies. Sometimes tragedies do happen, but you don't let emotions trump rational thought whenever a tragedy occurs. Once you give up your Freedoms, it's damn hard to get them back.

Gun grabbing loon?? I shoot at least once a month for recreational purposes, and at least annually I qualify with both my assigned M9 pistol and M-14 carbine. My viewpoint is not simply the knee jerk reaction of an "emotional" progressive, or liberal after this most recent mass murder. My viewpoint has changed over the past ten years after seeing far too much unnecessary bloodshed in this nation as well as many third world nations where everyone carries a firearm. Anything that may help reduce this bloodshed is worth a look in my opinion, I don't know what that may entail, but I'm not so closed minded as I once was after seeing what I have seen over the past 10 years.

Forum List

Back