Poll: Can dems give wall funding for tax increase to solve Budget Deficit?

Would you support a top rate tax increase & new Fed sales tax for the wall & immigration reform?

• Yes, since they never cut spending enough we need to fix the Budget gap & immigration

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, they need to cut spending to balance the Budget, especially defense and entitlements

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
Normally, border defense and wall construction would be part of a comprehensive immigration policy and the elements would be negotiated between the parties

However these are not normal times and compromise is no longer a political tool

It never is with the Democrats.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com
Wrong again Ray

Dems worked with and compromised with Bush on No Child Left Behind, Medicare Part D, TARP, Homeland security, Iraq and Afghanistan

Republicans refused to support a single Obama initiative. Not a single Republican vote

So Republicans didn’t allow tax increases on the rich? Republicans didn’t allow tax increases on businesses?

Normally, border defense and wall construction would be part of a comprehensive immigration policy and the elements would be negotiated between the parties

It never is with the Democrats.

Wrong again Ray

Dems worked with and compromised with Bush on No Child Left Behind, Medicare Part D, TARP, Homeland security, Iraq and Afghanistan

Republicans refused to support a single Obama initiative. Not a single Republican vote

So Republicans didn’t allow tax increases on the rich? Republicans didn’t allow tax increases on businesses?

No Ray
They didn’t

What happened was the Bush tax cuts expired

Both the military AND welfare needs to be cut.

$893 billion is TOTALLY absurd for peacetime with ZERO, seriously viable adversaries on the horizon. $300 billion is MORE than enough.
And it is FLAT OUT IMPOSSIBLE to factually prove it is not.

The Donald Undone: Tilting At The Swamp, Succumbing To The Empire
Defense Spending by Country

And welfare should be in the form of government shelters in major, regional centers that offer places to sleep, eat and get basic medical attention (full medical attention for children) instead of sending out fraud/waste-attracting checks. This could also be where seniors who need Social Security can go to live (in on-site apartments).
This should save several $100's of billions more.

Mixed this in with cutting budgets to unnecessary/over-funded agencies and balancing the budget is relatively simple. Not easy - but simple.

No doubt you and just about everyone on this board disagrees with me.

That must mean it is correct...;)

Please stop bloviating and put up a real answer. If it is so simple, please put up your revised Budget. I gave you the 2019 numbers above in post #42. It is not simple. We agree the $900b peacetime deficit is absurd. When the Debt explodes its too late.

It's good you agree the military budget is bloated...I may have misjudged you.

And bloviating (I had to look that word up)? I did not realize this was a test?

But alright.

It's simple - cut $600B from the military budget, bring ALL troops home, close ALL foreign military bases AND end ALL military assistance to ALL other countries (if they cannot survive on their own - tough). Of course, the Neocons will HATE this...but screw 'em, dickheads.
End all welfare payments (including SS) and open federal government, welfare centers in major, regional centers. You need food, shelter, medical asst.? Go there. No idea exactly how much that would save - but I would assume at least $500 billion off of the $1.4 trillion welfare/SS total now.
There---budget balanced....with a surplus.

Want more?

- End Homeland security - give it back to the FBI (it's creation was an overreaction to the 9/11 attacks).
- End CIA (Cold War relic) - give it back to the military (where it belongs).
- Cut Education budget by 90%. Make it strictly a watchdog organization - making sure minimum, educational standards are maintained. Give education completely to states otherwise.
- Close ALL VA hospitals (having two layers of public hospitals is ridiculous). Still free healthcare for needy vets - but now they just get it from their local medical facilities and the latter bills the government. Saves some vets having to drive many dozens of miles to get healthcare when they have a public/private hospital in their area.

That should leave a nice $400-$500 billion dollar surplus. Probably the first year some of this surplus money will be needed to construct/purchase the above mentioned 'regional, welfare centers'.
But after that...
...either pay down the debt and/or lower taxes for the middle class/poor and/or end corporate taxes completely (helps the economy) or a combination thereof.

Finally, since I am on a roll, I would simplify taxes by making both income AND capital gains identical for taxation purposes and end ALL deductions except for capital losses and charitable contributions.
Everyone (who understands math) could then do their own taxes in 5 minutes.

Thanks for the extensive and detailed reply. This is much better than a bullshit response.

Cut $600B from the military budget, bring ALL troops home, close ALL foreign military bases AND end ALL military assistance to ALL other countries.
OK, that saves $600b and the DOD is basically worthless. The purpose of the Federal government is defense, but your proposed cuts are similar to Obama's except much more severe, basically eliminating the DOD.
Military budget of the United States - Wikipedia

End all welfare payments (including SS) and open federal government welfare centers in major, regional centers. You need food, shelter, medical asst.? Go there. No idea exactly how much that would save - but I would assume at least $500 billion off of the $1.4 trillion welfare/SS total now. There---budget balanced....with a surplus.
Ending welfare saves $462b, adding back "the projects" that became rat infested drug infested shitholes in the 1960s.
FYI, SS is not a charity that can be cut, it is a program that seniors paid into their entire working life. You try to cut SS and you get lynched. Say that you net saving half of welfare, call it $230b from welfare and even throw in $100b from medicaid for a net $330b saved. Good luck getting any pols to vote for these cuts.

- End Homeland security $53b - give it back to the FBI (it's creation was an overreaction to the 9/11 attacks).
- End CIA (Cold War relic) $60b - give it back to the military (where it belongs).
- Cut Education budget by 90%. $60b Make it strictly a watchdog organization - making sure minimum, educational standards are maintained. Give education completely to states otherwise.
- Close ALL VA hospitals $83b but use funding to pay for care via vouchers
Net savings $53+60+54b = ~$157b saved, but you would be overrun by illegals, and with no military or CIA you would be defenseless as a nation.
Saving $600b on DOD + $330b from welfare + $160b from DHS/CIA/ED = $1090b which gives a $190b annual pay down on the Debt. The math works, but the cuts are so extreme as to be totally unsupportable by either party. Sorry, but that is a FAIL as to getting the Budget Balanced responsibly.

LOL...looks like I did not misjudge you after all.

Military Spending - $300 billion is more than China, Russia, Iran and NK spend combined...plus about $85 billion left over.
If you are saying that militarily outspending China, Russia, Iran and NK combined (plus $85 billion left over) leaves America with 'no military'? Then you are so clueless on the matter as to be COMPLETELY pointless to talk to about it.

Welfare + SS - Social security is just welfare and many people take it who do not even need it - which is silly. Just give back all the money that is in the SS coffers to those who paid into it but keep the SS tax (call it something else). It is not financially sustainable in the long term anyway.
And starting the government shelters would save hundreds of billions. They would not be 'projects' - those were apartment buildings. They just built huge numbers of apartment buildings, threw poor people in them and expected everything would be fine. PLEASE. They were a TOTALLY different concept.
These would be temporary 'shelters' - not homes. They would be run by the government and patrolled by police. No one would have an apartment except the elderly (maybe some families). They would be safe, clean, pleasant - but not comfortable (though more so for seniors); a good place to stay to get your life together, but not permanently (again, except for seniors).
There are TONS of shelters around the nation that are run by charities that have few problems - this would just be those on a MUCH larger scale.

So there is the budget surplus already...whether you like it or not.

Add in the others and deduct for a full, government healthcare for children (who need it) and the budget problem is over.

Now since you are so INCREDIBLY out to lunch as to call a $300 Billion military budget 'no Military' - I shall waste no more time on you on this as your mind is clearly, COMPLETELY closed on the matter.
And I try not to waste my time on closed-minded people.

Have a nice day.
Our military spending is over $700 billion

I know - but my proposal for the deficit was to cut it to $300 Billion.

Which would still be WAY more than Russia, China, Iran and NK combined.

Please stop bloviating and put up a real answer. If it is so simple, please put up your revised Budget. I gave you the 2019 numbers above in post #42. It is not simple. We agree the $900b peacetime deficit is absurd. When the Debt explodes its too late.

But alright.

It's simple - cut $600B from the military budget, bring ALL troops home, close ALL foreign military bases AND end ALL military assistance to ALL other countries (if they cannot survive on their own - tough). Of course, the Neocons will HATE this...but screw 'em, dickheads.
End all welfare payments (including SS) and open federal government, welfare centers in major, regional centers. You need food, shelter, medical asst.? Go there. No idea exactly how much that would save - but I would assume at least $500 billion off of the $1.4 trillion welfare/SS total now.

Want more?

- End Homeland security - give it back to the FBI (it's creation was an overreaction to the 9/11 attacks).
- Cut Education budget by 90%. Make it strictly a watchdog organization - making sure minimum, educational standards are maintained. Give education completely to states otherwise.
- Close ALL VA hospitals (having two layers of public hospitals is ridiculous). Still free healthcare for needy vets - but now they just get it from their local medical facilities and the latter bills the government. Saves some vets having to drive many dozens of miles to get healthcare when they have a public/private hospital in their area.

That should leave a nice $400-$500 billion dollar surplus. Probably the first year some of this surplus money will be needed to construct/purchase the above mentioned 'regional, welfare centers'.
But after that...
...either pay down the debt and/or lower taxes for the middle class/poor and/or end corporate taxes completely (helps the economy) or a combination thereof.

Finally, since I am on a roll, I would simplify taxes by making both income AND capital gains identical for taxation purposes and end ALL deductions except for capital losses and charitable contributions.

Thanks for the extensive and detailed reply. This is much better than a bullshit response.

Cut $600B from the military budget, bring ALL troops home, close ALL foreign military bases AND end ALL military assistance to ALL other countries.
OK, that saves $600b and the DOD is basically worthless. The purpose of the Federal government is defense, but your proposed cuts are similar to Obama's except much more severe, basically eliminating the DOD.

End all welfare payments (including SS) and open federal government welfare centers in major, regional centers. You need food, shelter, medical asst.? Go there. No idea exactly how much that would save - but I would assume at least $500 billion off of the $1.4 trillion welfare/SS total now. There---budget balanced....with a surplus.
Ending welfare saves $462b, adding back "the projects" that became rat infested drug infested shitholes in the 1960s.
FYI, SS is not a charity that can be cut, it is a program that seniors paid into their entire working life. You try to cut SS and you get lynched. Say that you net saving half of welfare, call it $230b from welfare and even throw in $100b from medicaid for a net $330b saved. Good luck getting any pols to vote for these cuts.

- End Homeland security $53b - give it back to the FBI (it's creation was an overreaction to the 9/11 attacks).
- End CIA (Cold War relic) $60b - give it back to the military (where it belongs).
- Cut Education budget by 90%. $60b Make it strictly a watchdog organization - making sure minimum, educational standards are maintained. Give education completely to states otherwise.
Net savings $53+60+54b = ~$157b saved, but you would be overrun by illegals, and with no military or CIA you would be defenseless as a nation.
Saving $600b on DOD + $330b from welfare + $160b from DHS/CIA/ED = $1090b which gives a $190b annual pay down on the Debt. The math works, but the cuts are so extreme as to be totally unsupportable by either party. Sorry, but that is a FAIL as to getting the Budget Balanced responsibly.

Military Spending - $300 billion is more than China, Russia, Iran and NK spend combined...plus about $85 billion left over.
If you are saying that militarily outspending China, Russia, Iran and NK combined (plus $85 billion left over) leaves America with 'no military'? Then you are so clueless on the matter as to be COMPLETELY pointless to talk to about it.

Welfare + SS - Social security is just welfare and many people take it who do not even need it - which is silly. Just give back all the money that is in the SS coffers to those who paid into it but keep the SS tax (call it something else). It is not financially sustainable in the long term anyway.
And starting the government shelters would save hundreds of billions. They would not be 'projects' - those were apartment buildings. They just built huge numbers of apartment buildings, threw poor people in them and expected everything would be fine. PLEASE. They were a TOTALLY different concept.
These would be temporary 'shelters' - not homes. They would be run by the government and patrolled by police. No one would have an apartment except the elderly (maybe some families). They would be safe, clean, pleasant - but not comfortable (though more so for seniors); a good place to stay to get your life together, but not permanently (again, except for seniors).
There are TONS of shelters around the nation that are run by charities that have few problems - this would just be those on a MUCH larger scale.

Add in the others and deduct for a full, government healthcare for children (who need it) and the budget problem is over.

Now since you are so INCREDIBLY out to lunch as to call a $300 Billion military budget 'no Military' - I shall waste no more time on you on this as your mind is clearly, COMPLETELY closed on the matter.

Have a nice day.

Sorry. I misread

I think if we change our military mission away from global policeman we can easily cut to $300 billion

But alright.

Want more?

But after that...

Have a nice day.

Sorry. I misread

I think if we change our military mission away from global policeman we can easily cut to $300 billion

We could, but if we don’t want to be the global police any longer, others will be more than happy to take our place. Now think of who is powerful enough to do that.

But alright.

Want more?

But after that...

Have a nice day.

Sorry. I misread

Some call it 'global policeman'.

I call it 'Idiotic Neocon Fantasy'.

And 'yes' - we could EASILY cut the military to $300 billion if we just minded out own damn business (outside of natural disasters and major genocides).

Have a nice day.

Sorry. I misread

And 'yes' - we could EASILY cut the military to $300 billion if we just minded out own damn business (outside of natural disasters and major genocides).

We should cut the insane $750 billion military spending budget that just passed to $500 billion and freeze it for the next 10 years.

If we cut the Budget to $500b we'd need to mothball aircraft carriers, nuclear submarines, lots of aircraft, cut the size of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard. Then there are the space wars and the NK nuclear tipped missiles that we'd be defenseless against, not to mention Iran and new hypersonic missiles.
This Is How the U.S. Military Wants to Shoot Down Russian or Chinese Hypersonic Missiles
Trump Says US Will Pull Out of Nuclear Deal with Russia

If the DOD budget is too big and needs to be cut, then we need to taper it down based on the future mission funding requirements and not just take an ax to it. For example, the DOD wants to close bases, but Congress won't allow them due to the jobs in their districts.

Have a nice day.

Sorry. I misread

We should cut the insane $750 billion military spending budget that just passed to $500 billion and freeze it for the next 10 years.

Russia and China couldn't agree with you more.

Instead of a government shutdown, think about a "big f'ing deal" (big funding deal)

1. Top tax rate increases by 7% above 2016 level, and add a new 3% or so Fed sales tax [Big give by GOP]
2. Trump gets wall funding and immigration reform [Big give by dems]
a. No catch & release
b. No diversity lottery
c. No asylum claims unless pre-approved
d. No chain migration
e. Only merit based immigration for who the US needs
f. No birthright citizenship, i.e. no cottage industry for anchor babies
g. DACA kids get green cards but NOT citizenship

This would solve the Budget Deficit and start paying down the Debt. They should also fix SS by adding a year & Medicare. Those funding and entitlement fixes would set the US on a sound fiscal course for many years. Healthcare is a tougher thing to fix.
The clueless stupidity of most conservatives is truly remarkable.

The issue has nothing to do with cost.

The issue concerns the fact that the ‘wall’ won’t work.

What part of the wall won’t work do conservatives not understand – that the ‘wall’ will in no way keep immigrants out.

Conservatives must be so blinded by their fear, ignorance, bigotry, and hate to not understand that any ‘wall’ would be a monumental failure, in addition to being a monumental waste of time, money, and resources.

The wall will work, in addition to other hi-tech backup barriers. Please provide a credible link to the contrary.
Homeland Security's Nielsen Touts Troops And Border Wall Plan In California
No one wants to waste billions of dollars on a ridiculous wall that won't work just to assuage your fear and hate and the fear and hate of other conservatives.

Its not "fear and hate" its protecting our sovereign border from the invading hoards, like in WWZ

Congratulations...you just proved that you are xenophobic.

If we cut the Budget to $500b we'd need to mothball aircraft carriers, nuclear submarines, lots of aircraft, cut the size of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard. Then there are the space wars and the NK nuclear tipped missiles that we'd be defenseless against, not to mention Iran and new hypersonic missiles.
This Is How the U.S. Military Wants to Shoot Down Russian or Chinese Hypersonic Missiles
Trump Says US Will Pull Out of Nuclear Deal with Russia

If the DOD budget is too big and needs to be cut, then we need to taper it down based on the future mission funding requirements and not just take an ax to it. For example, the DOD wants to close bases, but Congress won't allow them due to the jobs in their districts.

Utter and complete nonsense (I am bored, so I read your post). You clearly have NO IDEA what funds cost what in the military.
Sure, aircraft carriers would be mothballed. America does not need 11(!?!) aircraft carriers to protect it's shores.

The Founding Fathers were right...a small, peacetime army with a huge, well trained militia is all America needs AND she should MIND HER OWN BUSINESS.

What does that mean today?

A small, peacetime armed forces with a large, well trained and equipped reserves. And NO military bases overseas.

That saves hundreds of billions America does not have and still leaves her as by MILES the most powerful military on the planet...no one would dare attack her.

This un-American and unpatriotic Neocon crap must end.

The Cold War ended a generation ago...but the MIC (military industrial complex) did not.

It has to...NOW.

Last edited:

The party of no is now talking about compromise?
76bihwse69421.jpg

Forum List

Back