Poll: Bush still blamed for economy

sheesh, clinton DID NOT leave a horrible mess....gosh almighty.....

yes, we had a tiny, tiny, tiny recession that began in March of 2001 and ended in November of 2001 Dave, after Bush took office, but can be attributed to Clinton, but Clinton also left President Bush, with a project budget surplus as well...President Bush began on better footing financially than any president in our recent history.

Blinded, you are...

THERE WAS NO MOTHERFUCKING SURPLUS... that goddamn myth has been busted SO many times in this forum, it is not even funny any more

yes, we had a tiny, tiny, tiny recession that began in March of 2001 and ended in November of 2001 Dave, after Bush took office, but can be attributed to Clinton, but Clinton also left President Bush, with a project budget surplus as well...President Bush began on better footing financially than any president in our recent history.
No one reasonable can blame Clinton or even Bush really, for what went on after 1999. Since the SCOTUS struck down line-item veto and Gramm-Rudman, a return to massive spending was inevitable. And a President is powerless to do anything about it.

Interesting that those who talk about Clinton's "surplus" never mention that Billy had the most power ever granted a President in line-item veto and Gramm-Rudman.

Poll: George W. Bush still blamed for economy - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

Former President George W. Bush gets more blame for the country’s economic troubles than his successor or the Democrats who control Congress, according to a Harris poll out Wednesday.

Thirty-one percent of the 2,344 adults surveyed said Bush deserves the most blame for a rough economy, leading the second-place Wall Street by 6 percentage points.

Democrats in Congress were blamed by 16 percent of those polled, while President Barack Obama was blamed by 14 percent. Republicans in Congress were blamed by 9 percent of respondents, and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke was blamed by 4 percent.

A majority of Democrats — 53 percent — blamed Bush for the economy. Republicans, meanwhile, blamed Democrats in Congress more than Obama.

“The memory of President George W. Bush and the state of the economy he left as part of his legacy still sticks in the craw of Americans,” wrote pollster Louis Harris in his analysis.

Republicans were also split when asked to identify the most powerful figure in the GOP.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney rated highest with 14 percent, but he was swamped by the 44 percent of respondents who were either “not sure” or would have picked someone other than the eight Republicans listed.

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin finished second among Republicans with 13 percent. She was trailed by Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, former Vice President Dick Cheney, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, House Minority Leader John Boehner and House Minority Whip Eric Cantor.

Read more: Poll: George W. Bush still blamed for economy - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

Yeah, let's see - Bush was in power for 8 years. President Obama has been in there for a little over 1 year and 3 months.

How could anyone think that Bush's messup would still be hanging around now?

Because it's Obama who brought the unemployment up to double digits.

Also, over a year is some time now. It's about time he take responsibility for his own fuck ups.

Funny... when Clinton left a horrible mess, it was all put on Bush by the DEMs.. shoe goes on the other foot, and the line of thinking changes...

I think the poll has one thing right though, from the REP respondents... Congress has more to blame on 'the economy' than the bum Obama does.. one hing is for sure, Obama is doing a lousy job with his supposed plan to 'fix' it

My, my, another person trying to revise history. Clinton left a balanced budget, the longest economic boom in history of this nation, and a minor and inevitable adjustment to the market.

Bush left two failed wars, and an economy on the brink of the Second Great Republican Depression.

You never stop parroting, you idiot winger

The economic boom was due to technological advancement.. the false part of the boom was based on speculation.. NEITHER can be attributed to the direct actions of Clinton

And don't get us started again on the areas where Clinton hid his spending and what exactly he cut to make his budget look more appealing on the bottom line

Former President George W. Bush gets more blame for the country’s economic troubles than his successor or the Democrats who control Congress, according to a Harris poll out Wednesday.

Thirty-one percent of the 2,344 adults surveyed said Bush deserves the most blame for a rough economy, leading the second-place Wall Street by 6 percentage points.

Democrats in Congress were blamed by 16 percent of those polled, while President Barack Obama was blamed by 14 percent. Republicans in Congress were blamed by 9 percent of respondents, and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke was blamed by 4 percent.

A majority of Democrats — 53 percent — blamed Bush for the economy. Republicans, meanwhile, blamed Democrats in Congress more than Obama.

“The memory of President George W. Bush and the state of the economy he left as part of his legacy still sticks in the craw of Americans,” wrote pollster Louis Harris in his analysis.

Republicans were also split when asked to identify the most powerful figure in the GOP.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney rated highest with 14 percent, but he was swamped by the 44 percent of respondents who were either “not sure” or would have picked someone other than the eight Republicans listed.

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin finished second among Republicans with 13 percent. She was trailed by Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, former Vice President Dick Cheney, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, House Minority Leader John Boehner and House Minority Whip Eric Cantor.

Read more: Poll: George W. Bush still blamed for economy - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

Yeah, let's see - Bush was in power for 8 years. President Obama has been in there for a little over 1 year and 3 months.

Also, over a year is some time now. It's about time he take responsibility for his own fuck ups.

He did? How did he do this, exactly?

Dont really care who to blame for it. I just dont like the fact that rather than promoting policies to fix it, the current administration is making things worse.

Unlike alot of people, blame games just really dont have a point to me.

Unless, of course, you can clearly blame some "librul".

Stock market remaining in positive territory, jobs figures now starting to follow. Looks to me like the current administration is doing quite well considering the stinking pile they were handed when the assumed office.

then why am i delivering more unemployment checks every week and i still keep on hearing that not many jobs are out there?......and a couple of companies on my route are closing in a month and these 2 places employ a lot of people

AmwayMike..

It has been over a year and Obama needs to start taking responsibility for his economy. So, where are we after a year?

- A year ago, the economy was losing 650,000 jobs a month. Last month we GAINED 162,000 jobs

- A year ago, the stock market was at 6500. Today it is bordering 11,000

- A year ago, GM was ready to fold. Today, it is ready to repay the Government loan

- A year ago, GDP had been negative for four consecutive quarters. Today, we have had three consecutive quarters of positive GDP

How's that "Hopey Changey" work'n for ya AmwayMike????

Last edited:

AmwayMike..

It has been over a year and Obama needs to start taking responsibility for his economy. So, where are we after a year?

- A year ago, the economy was losing 650,000 jobs a month. Last month we GAINED 162,000 jobs

- A year ago, the stock market was at 6500. Today it is bordering 11,000

- A year ago, GM was ready to fold. Today, it is ready to repay the Government loan

- A year ago, GDP had been negative for four consecutive quarters. Today, we have had three consecutive quarters of positive GDP

You want to blame President Bush and credit President Obama. Go for it if it works for you.

Me?

I blame the natural AND NORMAL greed of the American People and I credit the resilience and the ability to capitalize on lessons learned of the American People.

I beleive this country would have less hate and more unity if we started to blame and give credit to ourselves.

Funny how our elected officials want us to fight out their political battless for them, in an effort to slavage their own reputations.

And we do.

No one reasonable can blame Clinton or even Bush really, for what went on after 1999. Since the SCOTUS struck down line-item veto and Gramm-Rudman, a return to massive spending was inevitable. And a President is powerless to do anything about it.

Interesting that those who talk about Clinton's "surplus" never mention that Billy had the most power ever granted a President in line-item veto and Gramm-Rudman.

And a Conservative congress

What happened to that conservative Congress under Bush?

It wasn't "conservative" it's pretty much the one we have now.

By far the worst thing President Obama "inherited" was this same Congress.

Of course, we voters are going to fix that for him, come November.

This country will struggle with a conservative congress just as I believe this country will struggle with a liberal congress.

We need a moderate congress that tends to serve ALL of the people.

What Conservative Congress? We had Tom Fucking Delay, we didn't have any Conservatives. We got Prescription drugs plan and that fat fucking murderer Kennedy writing the "Legions of undereducated people to vote Democrat" education Bill

What Conservative Congress? We had Tom Fucking Delay, we didn't have any Conservatives. We got Prescription drugs plan and that fat fucking murderer Kennedy writing the "Legions of undereducated people to vote Democrat" education Bill

The GOP controlled Congress under Bush for 6 of his 8 years in office. You DO know this, right?

This country will struggle with a conservative congress just as I believe this country will struggle with a liberal congress.

Great post.

As a conservative, I believe that everyone has the right to live their lives anyway they wish. A conservative congress will cater to only conservatives. We certainly see who a liberal congress serves.

One thiong I can say for sure. A one sided congress creates hate and divide amongst the people.

Is that what America is supposed to be about? I mean, jeez. Look at some of the threads on here. We have conservatives making fun of President Obama becuase he was ridiculed by a dictator (I cant spell that Achmadinejads name).

We, as Americans, should have be united BEHIND our President when a foreign leader ridiculed him.
Instead, we fought with each other.

Real good, America. Real good.

Great post.

As a conservative, I believe that everyone has the right to live their lives anyway they wish. A conservative congress will cater to only conservatives. We certainly see who a liberal congress serves.

One thiong I can say for sure. A one sided congress creates hate and divide amongst the people.

Is that what America is supposed to be about? I mean, jeez. Look at some of the threads on here. We have conservatives making fun of President Obama becuase he was ridiculed by a dictator (I cant spell that Achmadinejads name).

We, as Americans, should have be united BEHIND our President when a foreign leader ridiculed him.

While I agree that a one party Congress is not necessarily good for all of America, just to play devil's advocate, look what a divided Congress gets us. Gridlock and a government that gets little to nothing accomplished for the people that sent them to Washington on their behalf.

The GOP controlled Congress under Bush for 6 of his 8 years in office. You DO know this, right?

So you don't know what a Conservative is, OK, that makes sense.

Great post.

While I agree that a one party Congress is not necessarily good for all of America, just to play devil's advocate, look what a divided Congress gets us. Gridlock and a government that gets little to nothing accomplished for the people that sent them to Washington on their behalf.

Sometimes, no action is the best action.
I may have an open mind. I amy not be a hypocrite. But I am a conservative and I bleieve the less action of congress, the better off we are as a country.
But I respect your side of that argument. And no, I do not have the answers. But I am now and always was, proud to be an American. No one will ever take that away from me.

Forum List

Back