Poll: Americans Say World War III Likely

Do you think we'll have a WWIII in your lifetime?

• Total voters

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Let's also take our own poll :)

WASHINGTON - Americans are far more likely than the Japanese to expect another world war in their lifetime, according to AP-Kyodo polling 60 years after World War II ended. Most people in both countries believe the first use of a nuclear weapon is never justified.

Those findings come six decades after the United States dropped atomic bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The war claimed about 400,000 U.S. troops around the world, more than three times that many Japanese troops and at least 300,000 Japanese civilians.

Out of the ashes, Japan and the United States forged a close political alliance. Americans and Japanese now generally have good feelings about each other.

But people in the two countries have very different views on everything from the U.S. use of the atomic bomb in 1945, fears of North Korea and the American military presence in Japan.

Some of the widest differences came on expectations of a new world war.

Six in 10 Americans said they think such a war is likely, while only one-third of the Japanese said so, according to polling done in both countries for The Associated Press and Kyodo, the Japanese news service.

"Man's going to destroy man eventually. When that will be, I don't know," said Gaye Lestaeghe of Freeport, La.

Some question whether that war has arrived, with fighting dragging on in Afghanistan and Iraq as part of the U.S. campaign against terrorism.

"I feel like we're in a world war right now," said Susan Aser, a real estate agent from Rochester, N.Y.

The Japanese were less likely than Americans to expect a world war, less worried about the threat from North Korea and less inclined to say a first strike with nuclear weapons could be justified.

"The Japanese people take peace for granted," said Hiroya Sato, 20, of Tokyo. "The Japanese people are not interested in things like war."

President Truman decided to try to end the war by dropping atomic bombs on Hiroshima on Aug. 6, 1945, and on Nagasaki three days later.

Read the rest:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050723/ap_on_re_us/world_war_ii_poll

I had to say, "No." WWIII ran from 1950, at the latest, til 1992. We are already in the midst of WWIV.

A lot of Americans feel like World War III will happen because we are surrounded by those of you who WANT it to happen. You enjoy militarism and rule by brute force instead of democracy. Look at how many of you want to bomb the hell out of anyone who displeases you. You drool over every bit of combat footage that shows up on TV. You reminisce over the glorious times you had in battle in Nam or Desert Storm.
How pathetic.

Gabriella84 said:
A lot of Americans feel like World War III will happen because we are surrounded by those of you who WANT it to happen. You enjoy militarism and rule by brute force instead of democracy. Look at how many of you want to bomb the hell out of anyone who displeases you. You drool over every bit of combat footage that shows up on TV. You reminisce over the glorious times you had in battle in Nam or Desert Storm.
How pathetic.

"..Motivated more by partisan politics than by national security, today's Democratic leaders see America as an occupier, not a liberator.

And nothing makes this Marine madder than someone calling American troops occupiers rather than liberators.

Tell that to the one-half of Europe that was freed because Franklin Roosevelt led an army of liberators, not occupiers.

Tell that to the lower half of the Korean Peninsula that is free because Dwight Eisenhower commanded an army of liberators, not occupiers.

Tell that to the half a billion men, women and children who are free today from the Poland to Siberia, because Ronald Reagan rebuilt a military of liberators, not occupiers.

Never in the history of the world has any soldier sacrificed more for the freedom and liberty of total strangers than the American soldier."

-snip-

"But don't waste your breath telling that to the leaders of my party today. In their warped way of thinking, America is the problem, not the solution. They don't believe there is any real danger in the world except that which America brings upon itself through our clumsy and misguided foreign policy.

It is not their patriotism, it is their judgment that has been so sorely lacking.

They claimed Carter's pacifism would lead to peace. They were wrong.

They claimed Reagan's defense buildup would lead to war. They were wrong."

-Zell Miller 2004 (Democrat)

Your the one with pathetic ideas - you seriously need to pull the wool off your eyes...

Gabriella84 said:
... You drool over every bit of combat footage that shows up on TV. You reminisce over the glorious times you had in battle in Nam or Desert Storm.
How pathetic.
I sure am tired of your asinine
attacks on those who have served this Country kid. :fu2:

Gabriella84 said:
How pathetic.

I dont know about you, but if i was forced to base my happiness in life upon the amount of suffering my fellow countrymen take on a daily basis, then my life would surely suck.

However it seems that you are having a ball. Unemployment goes up, you feel happy because it hurts fellow Americans. Death toll rises in Iraq, you feel happy because it hurts fellow Americans. Soldiers get accused falsley of atrocities, you feel happy because it hurts fellow Americans.

Then you feel upset when, Terrorists are killed in IRaq, Unemployment reaches all time low, Soldiers get praised for their hard work, American people enthusiasticly support their president in his effort to rid the world of animals.

Must suck to be you.

insein said:
I dont know about you, but if i was forced to base my happiness in life upon the amount of suffering my fellow countrymen take on a daily basis, then my life would surely suck.

However it seems that you are having a ball. Unemployment goes up, you feel happy because it hurts fellow Americans. Death toll rises in Iraq, you feel happy because it hurts fellow Americans. Soldiers get accused falsley of atrocities, you feel happy because it hurts fellow Americans.

Then you feel upset when, Terrorists are killed in IRaq, Unemployment reaches all time low, Soldiers get praised for their hard work, American people enthusiasticly support their president in his effort to rid the world of animals.

Must suck to be you.

That's right - the ONLY way her party can succeed is to cheer-on terrorism around the world and then somehow blame it on the Bush Administration...

Fact is, the better the war in terror goes, the more dumb-ass people like her look...

It's not about "serving your country." It's about letting it go and returning to your normal American life. The true American patriot goes to battle, serves his hitch, then returns home to have a family and find his place in the American system.
The militant pseudo-patriot goes to battle, serves his hitch, and then spends the next 20-30 years bragging about it.
You don't walk on water, dude. Only one guy ever did that. And he was the Prince of Peace, not the God of Glorified Slaughter.

Gabriella84 said:
It's not about "serving your country." It's about letting it go and returning to your normal American life. The true American patriot goes to battle, serves his hitch, then returns home to have a family and find his place in the American system.
The militant pseudo-patriot goes to battle, serves his hitch, and then spends the next 20-30 years bragging about it.
You don't walk on water, dude. Only one guy ever did that. And he was the Prince of Peace, not the God of Glorified Slaughter.

You are sounding like a broken record...Your parents never served and neither have you...Geez I wish now they would bring back the draft and draft your pansy little butt...VN vets nor Korean Vets nor Middle East vets brag about their battles...they just try to explain... to the likes of your ilk... why they served and what they learned from their experiences....something neither you nor your parents can pull from.............I thought you may be comming around...I was wrong...so go back to dying your T-shirts...and pass the flowers around... while the rest of us take care of business and save your wimpy butt once again!

-Cp said:
Never in the history of the world has any soldier sacrificed more for the freedom and liberty of total strangers than the American soldier."

-snip-

"But don't waste your breath telling that to the leaders of my party today. In their warped way of thinking, America is the problem, not the solution. They don't believe there is any real danger in the world except that which America brings upon itself through our clumsy and misguided foreign policy.

It is not their patriotism, it is their judgment that has been so sorely lacking.

They claimed Carter's pacifism would lead to peace. They were wrong.

They claimed Reagan's defense buildup would lead to war. They were wrong."

-Zell Miller 2004 (Democrat)

Don't you love that guy? I'd vote for a dem like him in a heartbeat over a republican like arlen specter.

A better question, is whether there will be all-out war in our time?

I still think no, but I can certainly attest that to perhaps, misplaced optimism than any real evidence.

Forum List

Back