Poll: Americans Blame GOP if We Go Over Fiscal Cliff

FTR, I blame both sides.

A majority of Americans expect the U.S. to go over the fiscal cliff at the beginning of 2013 and would blame Republicans if that happened, according to a poll published today.

The survey by the Pew Research Center and the Washington Post found 51 percent of those polled said they don’t think President Barack Obama and Congress will be able to agree on a package of tax increases and spending cuts to replace the automatic reductions in government spending and the expiration of the Bush-era tax cuts scheduled for Jan. 1. Thirty-eight percent said they expected Obama and Congress to cut a deal.

If lawmakers fail to reach a deal, 53 percent said Republicans in Congress will bear responsibility, compared with 29 percent who said President Barack Obama will be at fault and 10 percent who chose both sides.

Majority Says U.S. Won

50 percent of voters voted for Obama so 53 percent is not that earth shattering.

I would suggest to the Republican House to be more vocal and take to the people all the bills they passed that Reid would not send to committee.

We have already heard from people like Jillian that compromise only means the Republicans have to give in.

Of course this is a pew research center and Washingtoncompost poll..

they ask who would you BLAME...Not ask what would like to see DONE

But it's the conservative media hurting people

Last edited:
Thats something that kinda wouldda been expected. There are 61 million stupid people in America. They didn't put an 'X' on their foreheads last Tuesday, but we know how many and where they mostly live. Mark Alexander of the Patriot Post called them the "Obama Nation Plantation" the only ID needed there is their EBT Card and their rallying cry "Where's our free stuff?"

» The United States: All Town, No Country - Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion

Kindee like little islands, n'est ce pas?

I say lets go ahead and push and let the whole d@mn thing go smash.

Oh yeah...it's all the Republicans' fault. Never mind that hey tried to pass a balanced budget amendment and got blocked by Hairy Reid.

Just let Obama have what ever he wants no matter THE COST..

it's his Amercia now, so they tell us

I say 'let him and his acolytes own it. No more getting blame for trying to what one thinks is right. Give the people what they want, for at least 2 years.

Thats something that kinda wouldda been expected. There are 61 million stupid people in America. They didn't put an 'X' on their foreheads last Tuesday, but we know how many and where they mostly live. Mark Alexander of the Patriot Post called them the "Obama Nation Plantation" the only ID needed there is their EBT Card and their rallying cry "Where's our free stuff?"

» The United States: All Town, No Country - Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion

Kindee like little islands, n'est ce pas?

I say lets go ahead and push and let the whole d@mn thing go smash.

^ This.

It isn't a matter of what actually is the right thing to do, it is who may be standing in the way of the next round of handouts for the Obamamites.

I don't think it will happen. The CEOs have spoken. The Republicans will listen to them.

Here's hoping. Unlike the hardline CONS, I don't want to see the country go over the cliff just to make a political point. That's not patriotism in my book.

You are funny, there are a bunch of people on the left, that want to go over the Cliff, just so they can blame the Right for it.

Pathetic.

All Partisan Hacks must die!

lol

My point exactly. The Republicans should refuse to say no, giving credit to the American People and citing polls such as the one mentioned. Let Obama & his folks, totally own what they do.

It's a no-brainer.
Obama said he was going to raise taxes and cut spending.
65% of Americans say we have to raise taxes and cut spending.

If the Bohner boys stand in the way of that - OF COURSE they are going to get the blame.

They have zero leverage in this negotiation.

Taxes are going up one way or another. The only question is whether it's going to be via the cliff or via a deal. Of course the Bohner boys are gonna own it.

I agree. That is what conservatives must do. Oh yeah, when they are increasing spending much faster than raising taxes, that should be made clear, loud & clear. The conservatives should make crystal what they believe is being done wrong, but acknowledge that for at least a period of time, leading up to the mid-term elections, they will not be an obstacle, out of respect for the will of the people.

It's a no-brainer.
Obama said he was going to raise taxes and cut spending.
65% of Americans say we have to raise taxes and cut spending.

If the Bohner boys stand in the way of that - OF COURSE they are going to get the blame.

One party is a fan of one of those, the other is a fan of the other. Take a wild guess which one is for which part.

This should be an easy negotiation. Republicans give up some tax hikes on the the highest earners in exchange for some much needed spending cuts. We'll see if either is truly willing to do so though.

There is no way there will be more taxes raised than expenditures increase. Look at what he has said in his acceptance speech and what he's done over the past 4 years. Taxes are going to go up on EVERYONE, conservatives shouldn't block. it's what the people voted for. Defense will be drastically cut, but don't look for much else. Again, conservatives should say, "Will of the People." Then look for mid-term or 4 year elections.

Meanwhile they need to figure out their own plans and not with opposition input.

The Republicans have 2 choices:

1. Give Obama everything he wants now OR

2. Let the country go over the fiscal cliff, the nation's economy go into a tail spin and the Republicans get blamed, then have the new moderate Republican house give Obama everything he wants...and a whole lot more!

:badgrin:

FTR, I blame both sides.

A majority of Americans expect the U.S. to go over the fiscal cliff at the beginning of 2013 and would blame Republicans if that happened, according to a poll published today.

The survey by the Pew Research Center and the Washington Post found 51 percent of those polled said they don’t think President Barack Obama and Congress will be able to agree on a package of tax increases and spending cuts to replace the automatic reductions in government spending and the expiration of the Bush-era tax cuts scheduled for Jan. 1. Thirty-eight percent said they expected Obama and Congress to cut a deal.

If lawmakers fail to reach a deal, 53 percent said Republicans in Congress will bear responsibility, compared with 29 percent who said President Barack Obama will be at fault and 10 percent who chose both sides.

Majority Says U.S. Won

i know you do. but i'm afraid that 'do what we want or we're going to let us go over the cliff" psychosis of the radical right keeps compromise from occurring.

i'm not sure how you negotiate with that type of thing. they clearly tie the hands of normal conservatives like boehner

2. Let the country go over the fiscal cliff, the nation's economy go into a tail spin and the Republicans get blamed, then have the new moderate Republican house give Obama everything he wants...and a whole lot more!

let obama and Democrats HAVE it all..and of course we then don't want any bitching from you all who voted for and how it is affecting YOU, your children and your grandchildren after

FTR, I blame both sides.

Majority Says U.S. Won

i know you do. but i'm afraid that 'do what we want or we're going to let us go over the cliff" psychosis of the radical right keeps compromise from occurring.

i'm not sure how you negotiate with that type of thing. they clearly tie the hands of normal conservatives like boehner

oh Jilly, :lol:
Your Democrats are without radicals and are saints, we know

Last edited:

The House of Representatives will pass legislation with great fanfare which definitely saves us from plunging over the cliff. Well, at least puts it off a while.

It will be up to the Senate and Obama what they do with it. If the Democrats effectively pocket veto it, it is on them. I can't imagine Barry wants to kick off his second term with the other half of the population hating his guts as well.

But the clock will be ticking.

tick tock tick tock

I don't think it will happen. The CEOs have spoken. The Republicans will listen to them.

I think you're right.

CEOs are telling them to raise taxes on the rich but lower taxes on corporations.

What? fucking obama is gonna sign an agreement that grants MORE corporate welfare? halllaaaaa fuckin llllleugha... I hope the libtards shit they pants over that one.

New Topics

Forum List

Back