Poll: Afghans Optimistic About Recovery

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
By STEPHEN GRAHAM
Associated Press Writer
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- Two-thirds of Afghans say they are optimistic about the future but remain worried about insecurity and the ravaged economy, according to a survey released Tuesday.

A majority also approved of interim leader Hamid Karzai, the favorite in landmark presidential elections set for Oct. 9, according to a poll that claims it is the most extensive yet on Afghan public opinion.

Of those questioned, only 13 percent favored the ousted Taliban regime, saying they favored governance of the United Nations. Two-thirds approved of the United States involvement which ousted the repressive Islamic militia in late 2001.

The survey, commissioned by the Asia Foundation, a U.S.-based nongovernment group that seeks to foster development in the Asia-Pacific region, drew on interviews with 804 rural and urban Afghans from Feb. 22 to March 13 this year. The margin of error was 3.5 percentage points.

Full Story

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, you know the leftists will poo-poo all this and never give any credit where the credit is due.

I too am optimistic about their future, simply because they are fighting for it, especially the women. If the Afghans can hold a free election, than I really think that there will be a very good chance of democracy there.

I am concerned about the opium production and the profits that are funneled to terrorist organizations. The cost of heroin has already dropped precipitously since the Taliban ouster. Afghanistan supplies 70% of the world's opium. I think that country would be in much better shape if we finished the work there before diluting the effort by starting the Iraq invasion.

I really don't know how that poll could reach much further than Kabul. That is a very dangerous country, especially for aid and poll workers and Westerners.

I did notice a re-doubled effort recently to contain the return of the Taliban, but I fear they can easily seek refuge in Pakistan. Afghanistan is a tough nut to crack with a long history of war and bloodshed. I certainly hope it can become a better, more humanitarian place, but I am not very optimistic about it. Warlords are very powerful there even in the absence of the Taliban and if they aren't given a large stake in the new government, it's going to get ugly.

Just my opinion though.

Forum List

Back