Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

Obama is making this a crisis. Simply politics of fear, which seems to be the only way he can get anything big accomplished.

Yeah, damn him for not giving Teabagging Republicans everything they say they want. Who cares if they only have one house of Congress while acting like they took over the whole gov't last November.

Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Americans are unimpressed with their political leaders' handling of the debt ceiling crisis, with a new CBS News poll showing a majority disapprove of all the involved parties' conduct, but Republicans in Congress fare the worst, with just 21 percent backing their resistance to raising taxes.

President Obama earned the most generous approval ratings for his handling of the weeks-old negotiations, but still more people said they disapproved (48 percent) than approved (43 percent) of what he has done and said.

Even half of the Republican respondents (51 percent) voiced disapproval of how members of their own party in Congress are handling the talks. Far fewer Democrats expressed disapproval of their own party's handling (32 percent) or President Obama's (22 percent) of the urgent quest to raise the nation's debt limit ahead of a looming default on Aug. 2 if action isn't taken.

Sixty-six percent of those polled said they believe an agreement will be reached before the Aug. 2 deadline, while only 31 percent say it's unlikely.

Thoughts USMB?

About 35% of that 71% dissaproval is REPUBLICAN dissaproval of how the reps are handling it....however they dissaprove that the republicans aren't opposing obama enough!

Im not saying that is good or bad, just offering some missing information. The way you/the article presents it makes it sound like the rebulican base is mad at the reps for not compromising along the lines of what obama wants when in fact its the exact opposite reason.

Interesting. Does the term TEFRA ring a bell?

Politics, Not Economics, Drives Anti-Tax Stand: Albert Hunt - Bloomberg

Though I have a strong feeling if President Reagan was alive today, he'd be considered a "RINO" by someone like yourself.

Highly doubtful.

Changing history after the fact won't work.

So your opinion of Reagan's 1982 massive tax increase, during a recession, in order to raise revenues to deal with the looming deficits would be??

Hmmm....lemme guess...

So you're saying that all the factors of that time period are equal to those of the present and a similar decision should be made?

Interesting....

Obama is making this a crisis. Simply politics of fear, which seems to be the only way he can get anything big accomplished.

Yeah, damn him for not giving Teabagging Republicans everything they say they want. Who cares if they only have one house of Congress while acting like they took over the whole gov't last November.

Your obsession with male genetalia is uber creepy, dude....

All I heard was whine, whine, whine.

The more interesting stats show how CBS cooks the books with the weighting in their poll internals:

boedicca-albums-mo-more-boedicca-s-stuff-picture3679-cbs.jpg

http://www.conservativecommune.com/2011/07/the-number-cbs-is-not-trumpeting-in-its-latest-poll/

73% of INDEPENDENTS in the poll disapprove of the Republicans on this.

How is that skewed???

The more interesting stats show how CBS cooks the books with the weighting in their poll internals:

http://www.conservativecommune.com/2011/07/the-number-cbs-is-not-trumpeting-in-its-latest-poll/

How is that skewed???

I am one of those conservative leaning independants who dissaproves...but why?

I dissaprove of McConell's idea to go outside the constitution and give the president the authority which the constitution excluded soley for the congress (budgets aka debt ceiling increases).

What also makes me disapprove of the republicans is that the house has not put out their own bill about doing this weeks ago.

I do approve of the republicans fighting what obama's unwillingness to put certain cuts on the table (obamacare, other entitlements), I think obama is making the wrong decisions and not going far enough for spending cuts (and excluding the areas that unfortunately need cuts) and going too far with the level of increase in the debt ceiling.

I also think raising the taxes, right now, is a bad idea but would be more accepting of it in the future once the economy is doing good (it will help with revenue once the economy is better, right now it wont help). So in this I do approve of what the republicans are doing.

However, overall, i dissaprove more than approve of how both sides are handling this but for different reasons on each side.

Just a little insight

What does a CBS poll say about Obama's possible veto of the debt ceiling solution?

What does a CBS poll say about Obama's possible veto of the debt ceiling solution?

the reps better hurry up if they want to go that route.

if they did it 2 weeks or longer ago I would have thought they did it because they were smart, had foresight, and a good plan. Now it just seems like they are late to the party.

But still, better late then not showing up at all!

I'd say they've both handed us a Rome in flames and cut the water off.

I'd like to see a poll in which everyone's taxes are going to be raised and see how many approve.

Taxes need to be raised, and no one likes to hear that. If a poll had been taken in the Winter of 2003 and the question was stated thusly:

Do you support a tax increase to support the invasion and occupation of Iraq which is necessary as we the government believe some day Iraq will have a weapon of mass destruction?

Yes or No?

If a poll was taken in the winter of 2009 as the number of the unemployed was growing by the hundreds of thousands each month, and a poll asked:

Do you support a government tax increase to support the hiring of newly unemployed workers to stimulate the economy?

Yes or No?

These examples are why we elect representatives to study and debate policy matters, and why direct democracy is not viable. Sadly our representatives no longer debate on matters of substance, or on the merits of issues. Their sole concern is the next election and how well their party will do.

Remind me why taxes need to be raised.

Congress passes budgets, not the president, sonny.

The Rabbi, meet The Rabbi:

It would seem you are a clueless moron who does not understand the meaning of the word "veto".

Same thread too. :lol:

It's not like Reagan was afraid to use that veto pen though, like when it came to the Comprehensive Anti-Apartheid Act of 1986.

Comprehensive Anti-Apartheid Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

President Ronald Reagan, believing that the law's punitive sanctions would lead to more violence and more repression in South Africa, vetoed the law but was overridden by Congress (by the Senate 78 to 21, the House by 313 to 83). In the week leading up to the vote, President Reagan appealed to members of the Republican Party for support, but as Senator Lowell P. Weicker, Jr. would state, "For this moment, at least, the President has become an irrelevancy to the ideals, heartfelt and spoken, of America".[3] This override marked the first time in the twentieth century that a president had a foreign policy veto overridden.[2]

Want to keep going?

Why? You've already lost. Your points are a jumble of irrelevant and half-factual statements.
Reagan was conned into the tax increase,which he regretted, and which failed to work as advertised.
Why do you think the GOP should stand still for the same thing today?

We need to increase taxes so that MORE businesses can fail and leave additional people unemployed. This will allow Democrats to further demonize the rich, collect more tax from a smaller group of Americans and control the lives of even more poor.

We need to increase taxes so that MORE businesses can fail and leave additional people unemployed. This will allow Democrats to further demonize the rich, collect more tax from a smaller group of Americans and control the lives of even more poor.

You're forgetting extending unemployment benefits not just for now, but into the hereafter as well.
Otherwise exactly right. The poorer the people become, the more dependent on gov't they are, the more they will vote Democrat.

So, on the topic of CBS poll bias.

The last CBS Obama job approval poll was the last week of June, they had him at 47% approval.

Rasmussen's tracking poll for that same week averaged 47% approval.

It's Republican tax policy that has dramatically reduced the pool of Americans who pay federal income taxes.

How is that skewed???

It was explained above... Pay attention...

And don't forget the See BS factor....

You'll have to direct me to the post that shows CBS's measure of INDEPENDENT sentiment was skewed against the Republicans.

How is that skewed???

It was explained above... Pay attention...

And don't forget the See BS factor....

You'll have to direct me to the post that shows CBS's measure of INDEPENDENT sentiment was skewed against the Republicans.

You're free to believe a SeeBS push poll isn't biased just as we are free to laugh at you....

Forum List

Back