Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

a)

CBS News senior White House correspondent Bill Plante reports there was no visible progress over the weekend, despite warnings from debt rating agencies that the nation's credit rating could drop, even if there is a deal, if government spending isn't cut.

from the link...

b) from the actual poll-

Capitalism is the extraordinaty belief that the nastiest of men, for the nastiest of reasons will somehow work for the benefit of us all. John Maynard Keynes.

Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Americans are unimpressed with their political leaders' handling of the debt ceiling crisis, with a new CBS News poll showing a majority disapprove of all the involved parties' conduct, but Republicans in Congress fare the worst, with just 21 percent backing their resistance to raising taxes.
President Obama earned the most generous approval ratings for his handling of the weeks-old negotiations, but still more people said they disapproved (48 percent) than approved (43 percent) of what he has done and said.
Even half of the Republican respondents (51 percent) voiced disapproval of how members of their own party in Congress are handling the talks. Far fewer Democrats expressed disapproval of their own party's handling (32 percent) or President Obama's (22 percent) of the urgent quest to raise the nation's debt limit ahead of a looming default on Aug. 2 if action isn't taken.
Sixty-six percent of those polled said they believe an agreement will be reached before the Aug. 2 deadline, while only 31 percent say it's unlikely.
Thoughts USMB?

Sounds like CBS is polling a bunch of idiots.

Actually, looking at the numbers, I see they just changed the numbers to make Obama and the Democrats look better.

Why the dramatic change in weighting to favor Democrats?

Could it possibly be because they saw this poll?

Americans, Including Republicans, Want Debt Compromise

Americans are unimpressed with their political leaders' handling of the debt ceiling crisis, with a new CBS News poll showing a majority disapprove of all the involved parties' conduct, but Republicans in Congress fare the worst, with just 21 percent backing their resistance to raising taxes.
Sixty-six percent of those polled said they believe an agreement will be reached before the Aug. 2 deadline, while only 31 percent say it's unlikely.
Thoughts USMB?

Actually, looking at the numbers, I see they just changed the numbers to make Obama and the Democrats look better.

hey QW that link seems 'bad;...;)

Last edited:

The link works fine.

It works for me.

Put down the cheetos, boy...

You're comparing apples to laundry soap...

lol

I compared the Rasmussen polls in June to the CBS polls in June.

Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the poll in the OP...

IOW, apples to laundry soap....

You really are that stupid, aren't you?

lol

How do you know the CBS is biased? Because of how many Republicans they polled?

That's why I pointed out that the Independents had a worse opinion of the Republican congress than the overall poll did.

I took the D's and R's out of it.

And asked you to tell me why that was skewed, and you couldn't. Case closed.

lol

That's why I pointed out that the Independents had a worse opinion of the Republican congress than the overall poll did.

:lol::lol:

lol

:lol::lol:

I know....:rofl:

lol

Seems like he did way back in the early afternoon. A lack of comprehension on your part does not require us to dumb the answer down.

President Obama earned the most generous approval ratings for his handling of the weeks-old negotiations, but still more people said they disapproved (48 percent) than approved (43 percent) of what he has done and said.

Even half of the Republican respondents (51 percent) voiced disapproval of how members of their own party in Congress are handling the talks. Far fewer Democrats expressed disapproval of their own party's handling (32 percent) or President Obama's (22 percent) of the urgent quest to raise the nation's debt limit ahead of a looming default on Aug. 2 if action isn't taken.

Thoughts USMB?

No doubt that Americans are frustrated--they want something done. Most do not what us to default--and I agree it would only make things FAR WORSE. We don't need interest rates going up at this time--and they would if we entered default mode.

Everyone needs to get a grip on what is happening. The Federal Government has been borrowing and spending way to much.

Currently the Federal Government is borrowing .46 cents on every dollar it spends. Now they want to raise their credit card limit so they can borrow and spend more.

A mixture of REAL spending cuts--and closing some of these subsidies and loop-holes are just fine with me. Tax hikes I wouldn't go for.

I'd say they've both handed us a Rome in flames and cut the water off.

I'd like to see a poll in which everyone's taxes are going to be raised and see how many approve.

Taxes need to be raised, and no one likes to hear that. If a poll had been taken in the Winter of 2003 and the question was stated thusly:

Do you support a tax increase to support the invasion and occupation of Iraq which is necessary as we the government believe some day Iraq will have a weapon of mass destruction?

Yes or No?

If a poll was taken in the winter of 2009 as the number of the unemployed was growing by the hundreds of thousands each month, and a poll asked:

Do you support a government tax increase to support the hiring of newly unemployed workers to stimulate the economy?

Yes or No?

These examples are why we elect representatives to study and debate policy matters, and why direct democracy is not viable. Sadly our representatives no longer debate on matters of substance, or on the merits of issues. Their sole concern is the next election and how well their party will do.

Then raise everyone's taxes, and cut the money given back at tax season.

Forum List

Back