Poll: 63% of Americans think Bible literally true

-=d=- said:
Sure - if that helps you...but the big thing is:

(get ready for this)....

(suspense....builds)

It doesn't amount to two rat's asses if God created everything in 6 x 24 hours, or 6 x 'x' number of years. None of that matters in terms of the point of the Creation Story. :) It won't affect our salvation one iota.

no suspense--I knew all along there were Chistians that were wrong--it's quite rare to a fundemetalist to admit it tho. thanks D

dilloduck said:
no suspense--I knew all along there were Chistians that were wrong--it's quite rare to a fundemetalist to admit it tho. thanks D

Why are you obsessed with right and wrong?

I believe Jesus wore Long Hair

Jeff may believe Jesus wore closely-cropped hair.

Dillo says: Ah-HA! One of you is a WRONG CHRISTIAN!!! How can there be harmony???

See where I'm going with this?

It's not about right or wrong except in terms of 'salvation'.

:thewave:
-=d=- said:
Why are you obsessed with right and wrong?

I believe Jesus wore Long Hair

Jeff may believe Jesus wore closely-cropped hair.

Dillo says: Ah-HA! One of you is a WRONG CHRISTIAN!!! How can there be harmony???

See where I'm going with this?

It's not about right or wrong except in terms of 'salvation'.

your kidding right?

dilloduck said:
:thewave:

your kidding right?

The point is that there are many points about Christianity in which Christians disagree, like the age of the earth/universe, methods of baptism, and Jesus' hair length. But those points are not essential to the Christian faith. There are relatively few "essentials," but I would list among them 1) the Trinitarian nature of God, 2) mankind's inherent sin, 3) Jesus' death as an completely acceptable atoning sacrifice, and 4) salvation by faith/grace.

gop_jeff said:
The point is that there are many points about Christianity in which Christians disagree, like the age of the earth/universe, methods of baptism, and Jesus' hair length. But those points are not essential to the Christian faith. There are relatively few "essentials," but I would list among them 1) the Trinitarian nature of God, 2) mankind's inherent sin, 3) Jesus' death as an completely acceptable atoning sacrifice, and 4) salvation by faith/grace.

I was trying to highlight where D asked me why I was obsessed with right and wrong. I thought that was pretty funny coming from a fundementalist.

dilloduck said:
I was trying to highlight where D asked me why I was obsessed with right and wrong. I thought that was pretty funny coming from a fundementalist.

Out of curiousity, how would you define fundamentalist?

dilloduck said:

It was asked in the context of 'right' or 'wrong' Christians...You seem hung up on the trivial differences between denominations, thus, avoid the Big-Picture important messages the Bible tells us.

-=d=- said:
It was asked in the context of 'right' or 'wrong' Christians...You seem hung up on the trivial differences between denominations, thus, avoid the Big-Picture important messages the Bible tells us.

If ANYONE is hung up on it it's you------in my belief system you will be "saved"---in you're belief system ,I will not.

dilloduck said:
If ANYONE is hung up on it it's you------in my belief system you will be "saved"---in you're belief system ,I will not.

Is that a big 'No, YOU are!!' reply?

I'm quite sure during the course of this conversation, and others, its pretty clear I'm not hung up on unimportant details when it comes to "salvation". I base my belief system on very specific guidelines set forth by Christ. It's not 'my' system. It's 'His'.

:)

-=d=- said:
Is that a big 'No, YOU are!!' reply?

I'm quite sure during the course of this conversation, and others, its pretty clear I'm not hung up on unimportant details when it comes to "salvation". I base my belief system on very specific guidelines set forth by Christ. It's not 'my' system. It's 'His'.

:)
Right---the small dramatic literal view as you interpret the Bible. Other people see it as a larger message that includes people rather than excludes them.

dilloduck said:
Right---the small dramatic literal view as you interpret the Bible. Other people see it as a larger message that includes people rather than excludes them.

The words Jesus used...are very specific and literal...there's no other way based on the context, to interpret them.

-=d=- said:
The words Jesus used...are very specific and literal...there's no other way based on the context, to interpret them.

Again--that's what you believe---Is it so hard for you to conceive that others feel fully comfortable in thier own understanding of the Bible's messages and get a bit insulted when you feel the need to point out that yours' is the only way ?

We have a family friend who is very devout, and says she prays for us...one night over wine, she asked if we could just take Jesus into our hearts to "hedge our bets" against the possibility that we would go to hell for not believing....sounds a bit hypocritical, but we love her, anyway!

I asked my grandfather why he did not go to church with Grandma and us kids when I was about 6 years old.....he told me, "your grandmother needs someone to pray for...."

The only time I saw him in church was when he was after he died, at his funeral.

Fmr jarhead said:
We have a family friend who is very devout, and says she prays for us...one night over wine, she asked if we could just take Jesus into our hearts to "hedge our bets" against the possibility that we would go to hell for not believing....sounds a bit hypocritical, but we love her, anyway!

I asked my grandfather why he did not go to church with Grandma and us kids when I was about 6 years old.....he told me, "your grandmother needs someone to pray for...."

The only time I saw him in church was when he was after he died, at his funeral.

I don't go to church and I haven't in years. A matter-of-fact, I consider myself closer to God today than ever in my life. However, I still realize I have a LONG way to go.

The best way to understand what Christ wants us to do is read the Bible. Most of the people I see on here railing against what many of us believe are people that have obviously never picked up ANY version of the Bible (more specific, the Gospels). They read or hear the interpretations of others, decide they like that view and then say, "but I hold a different interpretation". Well, all one has to do is READ but most are too lazy.

If somebody asks or if somebody challenges something I believe, I will let it be known what I believe, but nobody can force religion on someone. Your friend loves you too obviously, and that is likely why she did what she did. Since I don't know her, I have to assume her faith is sincere and so I am sure she feels it is her obligation to introduce Christ to those she loves as often as possible.

As for the drinking wine being hypocritical, well, I don't see it that way. Christ tells us to not be drunkards. He doesn't say you can't drink wine. (I am assuming that is what you found hypocritical).

No...the wine drinking was not the part I thought hypocritical...it was the "hedge your bets" part of the conversation.....

I know many men of the clergy (and a few women) who enjoy some adult beverages, and it makes them none less devout by my estimation....nor should it lessen their standing with whomever their god is, in my way of thinking. (but then again....I am not a religious man, at all...but at least I have some people putting a good word for me, just in case...LOL!)

I will be sure to give you a shout next time I am in Vegas!!!

Fmr jarhead said:
No...the wine drinking was not the part I thought hypocritical...it was the "hedge your bets" part of the conversation.....

I know many men of the clergy (and a few women) who enjoy some adult beverages, and it makes them none less devout by my estimation....nor should it lessen their standing with whomever their god is, in my way of thinking. (but then again....I am not a religious man, at all...but at least I have some people putting a good word for me, just in case...LOL!)

I will be sure to give you a shout next time I am in Vegas!!!

Oh, I understand! :laugh:

I look forward to hearing from you!

Fmr jarhead said:
With regard to the flood theory, I have heard it explained that there is not enough moisture in our ecosystem to have caused a singular flood that would have inundated the entire globe at the same time.

This is interesting....

Man Says Science, Scripture Go Together

As Donald DeYoung sees it, the world didn't always have the climates it does today. The flood of the Bible, he says, signaled the start of weather as we know it.

Video: See Kevin Gregory's Special Report

And DeYoung says science not only explains how the Bible's flood could happen, it shows that it did.

Donald DeYoung

DeYoung, a physics professor at Grace College in northern Indiana's Winona Lake, is the author of "Weather and the Bible," a book that examines scientific questions and provides Bible-based answers.

"I (wrote) that book kind of as an encouragement to look around and realize that this whole earth and all the components didn't come by chance, some accidental process -- there's a creator behind it," DeYoung told RTV6 Chief Meteorologist Kevin Gregory.

DeYoung believes the whole world was once tropical, lacking seasons and having an ideal climate. He points to Alaska and the Middle East -- places with very different climates today. Both places, he says, contain fossil fuels formed from tropical vegetation.

"The early earth, from the time of Adam to Noah, had a layer of moisture in the sky -- it can be called a vapor canopy," DeYoung said. "This was not liquid drops of water, but it was humidity, just like we have in a classroom or in the air."

The vapor canopy, he said, allowed for a worldwide tropical climate. He said the canopy held the equivalent of many feet of water, suspended in the upper atmosphere during the Earth's early centuries.

This moisture would become the source of the flood, and its release would signal the start of new kinds of weather conditions across the globe, according to DeYoung.

"It was this canopy which collapsed and became the source of this unique flood, this rainstorm that lasted 40 days and 40 nights on the Earth," he said.

DeYoung says limestone found in Indiana and elsewhere around the globe was formed underwater. He believes this can be traced back to the flood.

Critics say DeYoung's beliefs fly in the face of mainstream science. DeYoung says scripture and science go together.

"I like to bring balance to it and say there is someone behind this whole system that we live in," he said.

DeYoung says people who have questions or want to know more can e-mail him. He can be reached at [email protected].

http://www.theindychannel.com/weather/4429774/detail.html

Forum List

Back