Poll: 4 out of 5 Americans don't trust Washington

Is this the same Dr. Gregg who starts threads about the rich using up all the money? THAT Dr. Gregg?

He's a mental midget.

I call bullshit

If this were true, why would people keep voting for incumbents who grow the fed?

Because people are Idiots..

They think if one party is doing horrible they should replace it by voting the opposite party..

When in fact, they're both the same..

Liberals talk about Cutting spending, but they don't.

Neo-Cons talk about Reducing the size of Government, but they don't.

etc..etc..etc..

I can't believe the 20 percenters haven't called us racists yet. They must be saving it for page two. Perhaps the truth hasn't slapped them hard enough to lose it.

;)

If this many Americans do not trust the government, than why vote to empower it? You would think we would do the opposite and seek candidates who will shrink the government and empower the citizens. Maybe this will be the case in near future elections.

Hell 80% of us don't trust Washington?

And here I thought I was all alone. At least on this site, when I talk about not trusting politicians and the political parties it seems that y'all think I'm crazy.

Immie

And here I thought I was all alone. At least on this site, when I talk about not trusting politicians and the political parties it seems that y'all think I'm crazy.

Immie

Immie it is ok to not trust any politicians but when you speak of not trusting a particular politician that gets tempers up :)

People are funny creatures.

I don't trust Palin.

You had a republican president and congress that grew government at unprecedented rates, followed by a democratic president who completely mis-represented himself in order to get elected. It shouldn't be any wonder why most people (if this poll is reflective) don't trust the federal government.

Immie

Immie it is ok to not trust any politicians but when you speak of not trusting a particular politician that gets tempers up :)

I don't trust Palin.

Yeah, but for a long time, I have said I don't trust a single one of them. I don't single any of them out and I still get people telling me I'm crazy.

What is even worse is when they tell me I should trust... only their side of Washington.

Believe me it happens all the time.

Immie

Immie

I don't trust Palin.

Yeah, but for a long time, I have said I don't trust a single one of them. I don't single any of them out and I still get people telling me I'm crazy.

What is even worse is when they tell me I should trust... only their side of Washington.

Believe me it happens all the time.

Immie

Ohh I believe you. Just ignore them. But they won't go away.
As I said people are funny creatures.

Few trust the government, poll finds - latimes.com

Some money quotes:

In previous times of similar mistrust, Ronald Reagan was elected president and the GOP took control of the House.

Reporting from Washington
Only 22% of all Americans surveyed said they trusted the government in Washington almost always or most of the time -- among the lowest measures in half a century -- according to a Pew Research Center survey released Sunday night.

The results point to "a perfect storm" of public unrest, Pew reports, "a dismal economy, an unhappy public, bitter, partisan-based backlash and epic discontent with Congress and elected officials."

Growing numbers of people want government's power curtailed, Pew reports of a March and April survey that found "less of an appetite for government solutions to the nation's problems -- including more government control over the economy -- than there was when Barack Obama first took office."

"The public's hostility toward government seems likely to be an important election issue favoring the Republicans this fall," Pew said. "However, the Democrats can take some solace in the fact that neither party can be confident that they have the advantage among such a disillusioned electorate. Favorable ratings for both major parties, as well as for Congress, have reached record lows while opposition to congressional incumbents, already approaching an all-time high, continues to climb."

There have been political ramifications in the past when the public mood grew this sour: In 1980, Ronald Reagan unseated President Carter. In 1994, the GOP won control of the House.

The current level of public skepticism was matched previously only in the periods leading up to both events -- from 1992 to 1995 (reaching a low of 17% trusting in government in the summer of 1994) and from 1978 to 1980 (bottoming out at 25% in 1980).

This happens every time we elect a far left liberal.

What Pew is leaving out is the unrest is happening WAY before it happened in the Carter administration.

People are fed up and they want it to change.

It's going to be a blood bath this November. Lord willing. No bones about it.

I'm surprised it's this high.

Considering that Gallup polls show that only 20% self-identify as liberal, 22% is at least 2 points too high.

look how big the government has got in the last 30 years. who would trust the government or anyone who works for them. no one should be trusted from president down to street cop.

I would love to see a post by anyone in the 22% stating their reasons why he/she actually does trust the government.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Some money quotes:

What Pew is leaving out is the unrest is happening WAY before it happened in the Carter administration.

that only happens because GOP type people are sheep to their party and 'national defense'. they silently watched (and some even cheered) the patriot act, fisa updates, dhs, etc as the government grew exponentially. people who really wanted the government to follow the constitution who have been against alomst every government action since 1913.

Some money quotes:

In previous times of similar mistrust, Ronald Reagan was elected president and the GOP took control of the House.

Reporting from Washington
Only 22% of all Americans surveyed said they trusted the government in Washington almost always or most of the time -- among the lowest measures in half a century -- according to a Pew Research Center survey released Sunday night.

The results point to "a perfect storm" of public unrest, Pew reports, "a dismal economy, an unhappy public, bitter, partisan-based backlash and epic discontent with Congress and elected officials."

Growing numbers of people want government's power curtailed, Pew reports of a March and April survey that found "less of an appetite for government solutions to the nation's problems -- including more government control over the economy -- than there was when Barack Obama first took office."

"The public's hostility toward government seems likely to be an important election issue favoring the Republicans this fall," Pew said. "However, the Democrats can take some solace in the fact that neither party can be confident that they have the advantage among such a disillusioned electorate. Favorable ratings for both major parties, as well as for Congress, have reached record lows while opposition to congressional incumbents, already approaching an all-time high, continues to climb."

There have been political ramifications in the past when the public mood grew this sour: In 1980, Ronald Reagan unseated President Carter. In 1994, the GOP won control of the House.

The current level of public skepticism was matched previously only in the periods leading up to both events -- from 1992 to 1995 (reaching a low of 17% trusting in government in the summer of 1994) and from 1978 to 1980 (bottoming out at 25% in 1980).

People are fed up and they want it to change.

It's going to be a blood bath this November. Lord willing. No bones about it.

Not only that--but we now have 24 hr. cable news, the internet and other areas of information available to us today--than we did not have during the Carter administration.

Today--Americans of all walks of life are paying more attention to what our dear Federal Government is doing--than any other time in history.

Democrats in this congress and this administration--just haven't figured that out yet--:lol::lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back