Politics from the Pulpit

plt42

A Constitutionalist
Sep 3, 2008
Gulf Coast of Texas
ABC News: Seeking Change in Law, Pastors to Endorse Candidates

On Sunday, 9/28, 35 churches in 22 states will endorse McCain from the pulpit in defiance of fedeeral law prohibiting non-profit, tax exempt organizations from publicly endorsing a political candidate. Their endorsement is based on McCain's proclaimed religious platform on issues such as his pro-life, anti-abortion stance among others.

So, watcha think! Will and should the IRS step in and enforce the law? Do you see this as an open violation of the First Amendment.

My view: The law is the law.

Being a religious person myself, I say "Fuck them" for using religion for political purposes

God isn't Republican or Democrat. And the shit about the right being the moral party is just that.

On Sunday, 9/28, 35 churches in 22 states will endorse McCain from the pulpit in defiance of fedeeral law prohibiting non-profit, tax exempt organizations from publicly endorsing a political candidate. Their endorsement is based on McCain's proclaimed religious platform on issues such as his pro-life, anti-abortion stance among others.

So, watcha think! Will and should the IRS step in and enforce the law? Do you see this as an open violation of the First Amendment.

The current IRS? The one with this administration at its head? lol.. fat chance.

But their tax deferments really should be pulled.

Absolutely! Any time a church uses people when they are their most vulnerable to command them to vote a certain way. Then they are endorsing a particular political party, and they deserve to have their tax-exempt status taken away!:clap2::eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
Absolutely! Any time a church uses people when they are their most vulnerable to command them to vote a certain way. Then they are endorsing a particular political party, and they deserve to have their tax-exempt status taken away!:clap2::eusa_whistle:

agreed. this would clearly break the law and cant be tolerated.

The law needs to be changed. Religious people are citizens and should have the right to know what their religious leaders think on all issues.

I know you hate that whole separation of church and state thing.

Lucky for the rest of us, it still exists... notwithstanding the wishes of you and the palin's of this world.

The law needs to be changed. Religious people are citizens and should have the right to know what their religious leaders think on all issues.

they can ask them in private. there is a difference between knowing where they stand and doing a public endorsement from the pulpit which is meant to preach God's word.

The institutionalized prejudice towards religious people is comming to an end.

It's going to take awhile, but the tide is turning and laws will be changed.

Religious people will someday have the same rights as non religious people to express their veiws.

The institutionalized prejudice towards religious people is comming to an end.

It's going to take awhile, but the tide is turning and laws will be changed.

Religious people will someday have the same rights as non religious people to express their veiws.

so pastors should tell their congregation how to vote? that is why the law is in place

I know you hate that whole separation of church and state thing.
Well that concerns the government creating a religion and forcing you to worship it. What government religion have you been forced to worship? None.
You liberals seems to think that religious people shouldn't be involved in government, and that's simply not true. Are not for freedom of religion?
Americans citizens do lose freedom of speech because they are religious. If that's what your saying, then go talk to Jessie Jackson.

Oh I forgot, Jessie's ok because he's a Democrat.

so pastors should tell their congregation how to vote? that is why the law is in place
Yes, any religious leader should be able to say who he is voting for and why they should cast the same vote.

Many religious people would welcome the imput of a religious leader who they respect and admire.

Religious Americans aren't brain washed zombies. When they go into the voting booth, they can still vote how they please.

Yes, any religious leader should be able to say who he is voting for and why they should cast the same vote.

Many religious people would welcome the imput of a religious leader who they respect and admire.

Religious Americans aren't brain washed zombies. When they go into the voting booth, they can still vote how they please.

many arent sheep. others are. and they can say how theyre voting, just NOT FROM THE PULPIT. do you want your boss to call a meeting and tell his workers how to vote? try to view this from the perspective that you dont agree with everything the republicans do, but you want to go to church to learn about God and not have republican talking points shoved down your throat.

and do you think God would want people to focus on worldly politics instead of learning about Him on sunday?

You'll need to make the same call for any church spouting BLT then, or be a hypocrite.

Forum List

Back