Politic's and the dictionary

bigrebnc1775

][][][% NC Sheepdog
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2010
Kannapolis, N.C.
I was watching a video the other day about how words change their meaning depending on the political party. He talks about inflation and how it was defined in an old hard copy version of Merriam Webster and how it's defined online. I go on line and look up the word inflation and get my 1995 hardcover Merriam Webster 1995 version out. Ans sure enough Inflation appears to have a different meaning from the 1995 hardback version and the online version. from the exact same dictionary.

Definition of INFLATION

: an act of inflating : a state of being inflated: as
a : distension
b : a hypothetical extremely brief period of very rapid expansion of the universe immediately following the big bang
c : empty pretentiousness : pomposity
: a continuing rise in the general price level usually attributed to an increase in the volume of money and credit relative to available goods and services

Inflation - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Hardback 1995 version
1: an act of being inflated: the state of being inflated
2: empty pretentiousness : pomposity
3: an increase in the volume of money and credit resulting in a continuing rise in the general price level.

When they use the words usually attributed is that not changing the meaning of the definition of the word inflation? I'm sure it has noting to do with politics I am sure it can be something else.

Interesting find.

Yes adding "usually attributed" changes the definition, I agree.

Now the question is does the change make the definition more precise?

I think it does somewhat, but still doesn't exactly explain it.

Why?

Because inflation can happen because of different events.

Inflation can happen because there is a true shortage of goods or labor.

Or inflation can happen because the monetary policy is causing it.

Here's the video that gave me the idea to do some research.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uyL0pya-Hs&feature=g-u-u&context=G2de420cFUAAAAAAAWAA]Survivalists, Prepare for the Memory Hole Before it is Too Late - YouTube[/ame]

Of course ignorance would find this humorous
Kinda like THIS??????

Politic's

301.gif

As the warming increasingly makes the climate for agriculture more dicey, you are going to see more costs for food. A wipeout like russia had in 2010 in the central USA would create a huge jump in prices. Yes, more than just monetary policy can create inflation.

As the warming increasingly makes the climate for agriculture more dicey, you are going to see more costs for food. A wipeout like russia had in 2010 in the central USA would create a huge jump in prices. Yes, more than just monetary policy can create inflation.
print MO money obama has a lot to do with this one.

Forum List

Back