Politics and personal life

rtwngAvngr

Jan 5, 2004
Man. This politics shit is affecting some of my personal relationships. I cannot even discuss anything about any aspect of politics with anyone in my life who is liberal. They have so little to back any of their arguments that they go immediately into villify mode and label me a bad person.
I know there are some liberals who know that their politics are crap and are just brazenly dishonest powermongering, but the true believer, I guess, out in the field, some of whom I know, are just totally wacked out and can't discuss anything calmly anymore.

I guess this has happened historically to our country during times of war. I would love to hear from some people who remember 'nam and if this was happening on a personal level to them?

I know the conventional wisdom is not to discuss religion or politics. We're really screwing up on this forum, guys.

Oh and I guess the rest of you are just perfect little citizens, always playing nice, never calling libs on their crap. Whatever. If that's true, you guys are lame.:fu2:

I just don't. My only dealings w/ political discussions happens online. Mostly because Liberals are prone to violence.

:)

Originally posted by dmp
I just don't. My only dealings w/ political discussions happens online. Mostly because Liberals are prone to violence.

:)

What are ya, yella? I won't be happy with you until you habitually leave a wide swath of crushed liberal egos and destruction in your path. Isn't there someone in your family you can use as practice?

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
What are ya, yella? I won't be happy with you until you habitually leave a wide swath of crushed liberal egos and destruction in your path. Isn't there someone in your family you can use as practice?

we're all Right-Wingers... :-/

Oh and I guess the rest of you are just perfect little citizens, always playing nice, never calling libs on their crap. Whatever. If that's true, you guys are lame.:fu2:

Nope. I am an incredibly persuasive speaker and also an imposing figure. I don't have to worry about attacks of any sort. People generally accept what I say, wether they do or not. :)

As far as religion is concerned, discussing it is usually a waste of time anymore. Back when I was younger I converted several people away from religion, but as people get older they become more set in their ways. Logical arguments hold less and less sway.

Originally posted by Zhukov
Back when I was younger I converted several people away from religion, but as people get older they become more set in their ways. Logical arguments hold less and less sway.
im not down with finding religion, i have a hard enough time finding my shoes now and then

Nope. I am an incredibly persuasive speaker and also an imposing figure. I don't have to worry about attacks of any sort. People generally accept what I say, wether they do or not. :)

As far as religion is concerned, discussing it is usually a waste of time anymore. Back when I was younger I converted several people away from religion, but as people get older they become more set in their ways. Logical arguments hold less and less sway.

Wow. You must be pretty cool. "People generally accept what I say" :clap1:

Discussing religion is rather a waste of time. The "truth" is not really provable either way on that one. Of course very literalistic interpretations of some of the things in the bible are not correct in my view. I'm down with the spirit of the whole thing, though. "Cooperation is evolutionarily successful" starts to ring hollow after a while.

Man. This politics shit is affecting some of my personal relationships. I cannot even discuss anything about any aspect of politics with anyone in my life who is liberal. They have so little to back any of their arguments that they go immediately into villify mode and label me a bad person.
I know there are some liberals who know that their politics are crap and are just brazenly dishonest powermongering, but the true believer, I guess, out in the field, some of whom I know, are just totally wacked out and can't discuss anything calmly anymore.

I guess this has happened historically to our country during times of war. I would love to hear from some people who remember 'nam and if this was happening on a personal level to them?

I know the conventional wisdom is not to discuss religion or politics. We're really screwing up on this forum, guys.

Whoh that's an over-generalization if i've ever seen one. Dishonest powermonger? Violent? Your statement is unfair to say the least.

I was in Minneapolis last week talking with several engineering profs down at U of M and somehow the war in Iraq came up. I found they're conversation quite informative and certainly curteous and they ranged significantly in political leanings. In fact the only time I had problems down that weekend and heck, in recent memory in the United States was when I was in Montana eating at a road side restaurant. The owner asked me and my team where we were from and we said Canada and she began to lecture me, perhaps even accost me for a decision my government did and didn't even ask what I believed. However, that is the minority, most Americans I met were terribly gregarious.

Trust me....everything is under the couch cushions.

That's where I always find spare change for the soda machine.

man i know exactley what you're talking about RWA. My roommate and me can't even watch news in the same room any more. He is very Liberal and i can't talk politics without getting into a fight. I mean he is SO anit-Bush it's discusting, he has been so brainwashed he is beound help. Unfourtunatly my best friend is also a liberal. I try to reason with him because i care about him and i don't want him voting for a dem because in the college town i live in every one is a lib and my best friend has been brainwashed. I keep fighting the good fight, i a college republican, i wright letters to the editor every week, and i'm a bush team leader. I try to spread the message but the country has become so divided you're either with me or against me. and I have no time for those who stand in my way.

i was lucky. i went to a conservative school so most my friends are conservatives. my friends here in philly though arent as conservative its nuts talking to them sometime.

Originally posted by kcmcdonald
man i know exactley what you're talking about RWA. My roommate and me can't even watch news in the same room any more. He is very Liberal and i can't talk politics without getting into a fight. I mean he is SO anit-Bush it's discusting, he has been so brainwashed he is beound help. Unfourtunatly my best friend is also a liberal. I try to reason with him because i care about him and i don't want him voting for a dem because in the college town i live in every one is a lib and my best friend has been brainwashed. I keep fighting the good fight, i a college republican, i wright letters to the editor every week, and i'm a bush team leader. I try to spread the message but the country has become so divided you're either with me or against me. and I have no time for those who stand in my way.

man...check your spelling, please.

Forum List

Back