(Politico)Obama plans to 'make government cool again'

SolarEnergy1

May 18, 2007
Barack Obama addressed the wide distaste for government -- and the fact that he and John McCain are running against Washington -- at the forum on national service at Columbia University.

"Our campaign from the beginning has been about changing government," he said, recalling some great accomplishments of American government: Civil rights legislation, the interstate highway system, and the National Park system.

Obama would, he said, "transform Washington" and "make government cool again."

Obama also had some praise for small-town mayors -- like, not so long ago, Sarah Palin -- who, he said have "some of the toughest jobs in the country. We yak [in the Senate] but they...fill potholes and trim trees and make sure the garbage" is picked up.

Ben Smith's Blog: Obama plans to 'make government cool again' - Politico.com

I sure hope someone can make government "cool" again. If it's not Obama it needs to be someone else.

The youth of our country are so disillusioned with the current state of government that many of our best and brightest never even consider entering a life of service to our country.

This just means in future elections we will continue to have two mediocre candidates to choose from.

In this political climate people ending up voting for the lesser of two evils. What a rotten way to choose our president.

Just remember, the lesser of two evils is still evil.

The youth of our country are so disillusioned with the current state of government that many of our best and brightest never even consider entering a life of service to our country.

And let's hope they continue to avoid government in their efforts to serve their nation. This isn't a communist country.

Outside of being a soldier, the best service one can provide is to open a small business that makes you and your employees contributors to society and to its wealth. The GOPers like Mac who equate service with government continue to downplay the risks taken, and rewards provided by the millions of Americans who start their own companies.

And let's hope they continue to avoid government in their efforts to serve their nation. This isn't a communist country.

Outside of being a soldier, the best service one can provide is to open a small business that makes you and your employees contributors to society and to its wealth. The GOPers like Mac who equate service with government continue to downplay the risks taken, and rewards provided by the millions of Americans who start their own companies.

As a small business owner myself I appreciate what you are saying, but please don't discount the importance of positions from city council members to mayors to state congressmen to federal congressmen.

I truly believe if there was more intelligence, common sense, and less posturing which is running rampant in Washington DC and every other community in our country, we might be able to correct many of the issues facing our society.

Forum List

Back