Politico Alert. BP Agrees To Twenty Billion In Escrow

Obama is this generation's Hitler.

We have laws, we have courts do you really want the President to take the law into his own hands?

This should be rich. Please explain the parellel you are attempting to draw.

I'll say it again for the Fucking retards in the audience: we have laws and we have courts, we don't need a President taking the law into his own hands.

We have laws, we have courts do you really want the President to take the law into his own hands?

I'll say it again for the Fucking retards in the audience: we have laws and we have courts, we don't need a President taking the law into his own hands.

Which "law(s)" are you referring to again?

Better that BP should be able to walk away from the mess they made and leave the cleanup and the economic destruction to the taxpayers?

Or maybe just let the ocean take care of itself. Afterall, isn't oil a natural product of the earth? Heck, in a couple of hundred years it will be like it never even happened.

Better that BP should be able to walk away from the mess they made and leave the cleanup and the economic destruction to the taxpayers?

Or maybe just let the ocean take care of itself. Afterall, isn't oil a natural product of the earth? Heck, in a couple of hundred years it will be like it never even happened.

Nobody is walking away!

Are you absolutely sure this is that standard you want to live by even when you're not in power? Positive?

The President can unilaterally decide how much a company should pay?

You sure?

And in the meantime, while shrimp and oyster businesses are tied up in court for years, the recipients might die waiting for their payout. And so goes the madness of the uber conservative mind.

That was Joe Barton's solution, too. He's now being pounded by the top echelon of his own party for his ridiculous comments. But I suppose he thought he could squeeze in one last smack-down attempt, no matter how stupid, since he's retiring and won't be returning to the House.

It's intriguing, though. Texas law was once hang-em high, but now that old Texan thinks long, drawn-out court proceedings are the answer. Go figure.

Exxon spent over $3 billion cleaning up the spill and settle related civil and criminal charges before formal litigation was ever instituted. When they refused to pay any more, here's what happened, as described by Sarah Palin in "Going Rogue."

After a long clean-up effort, as days rolled into weeks, then months, then years, Alaskans’ frustration mounted as ExxonMobile steadily refused to step up and pay the penalty the courts decided it owed for destroying the livelihoods and lifestyles of so many families and communities. And no one in local, state, or national government seemed able to hold the corporate giant accountable.

ExxonMobile’s litigation compounded the suffering, especially for Cordova and Valdez fishermen. Court challenges stretched on for two decades. It took twenty years for Alaska to achieve victory. As governor I directed our attorney general to file an amicus brief on behalf of plaintiffs in the case, and, thanks to Alaska’s able attorneys arguing in front of the highest court in the land, in 2008 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in favor of the people. Finally, Alaskans could recover some of their losses.

I don't think Sarah would agree with you, Frank.

You never heard of "suing for damages"?

Point? BP agreed to set aside $20B. Who got sued?

Bookmark this for when Palin is President and decides to fine the American Federation of Teachers $100 Billion for failing to educate students

It's not a "fine." It's escrowed money, legally defined as "Something of value, such as a deed, stock, money, or written instrument, that is put into the custody of a third person by its owner, a grantor, an obligor, or a promisor, to be retained until the occurrence of a contingency or performance of a condition."

Escrow account legal definition of Escrow account. Escrow account synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Obama picked that "third party" who just happens to be a government official. But the government isn't really controlling the payouts. No, it's very independent.

Reality is that Obama is calling the shots and providing away so he isn't held accountable for it.

First you bitch that Obama isn't doing enough. Now, he has secured $20,000,000,000.00 for Americans from BP, and you accuse the government of now being TOO involved. WTF?? Do your talking points have to contradict themslves DAILY???:cuckoo:

BTW, I would still like an answer to my question from yesterday...

For crying out loud, the man who is to manage the fund is the same man who managed the 9/11 victims fund. Conservatives, was he good enough for the first disaster, but not good enough to manage this fund.

BP escrow deal announced as Obama tries to show leadership on spill - Yahoo! News

The fund would be overseen by Kenneth Feinberg, a prominent lawyer who ran the 9/11 victims fund and more recently handled oversight for executive pay under TARP, the federal Troubled Asset Relief Program.

As far as I can tell, this will be an independent fund and not under the President's control as to the disbursement of funds.

One thing that I am concerned about is that costs for the cleanup are going to need to be paid throughout this crisis. This escrow fund is being set up to compensate individuals and companies "harmed" by the spill. Are some of these funds going to be used to pay for the cleanup? If not, who is paying for those costs?

BP's top executives agreed to a preliminary deal to create an escrow fund of $20 billion, paid by the company. That money would compensate people and businesses harmed by the oil spill.

I had originally thought (although not heard or read) that the escrow fund was being set up for the costs of cleanup, but that does not appear to be the case. I appreciate that BP has put up these funds for this issue but am concerned about whether or not these funds will pay for the costs to cleanup as well. It is possible that the President addressed this in his speech but I did not hear the speech.

Immie

and the 'third party',the "who me I got no dog in the fight",man in the middle, who stand as sole disinterested arbiter of who gets what from the fund is?..........wait for it.....................Kenneth Feinberg, the Obama administrations' pay czar.

Good for BP, but I hope you loons realize that Obama had absolutely no leverage on BP in this matter. IF they had wanted to they could have written Obama a check for the federally mandated $75M cap and told him to fuck off and clean the oil up himself and that anyone who thought they had a claim could sue them.

LOL. Well, with absolutely no leverage, the President got BP to put the money in escrow, and cease further dividend payments until the money is there. That is quite an accomplishment. And then got unemployment money for the people that are without jobs because of the moratorium.:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Frank, the garbage can on the head. Think heat, affects on the brain. Already evident in your posts. Lose the garbage can.:lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back