Politicians, Lying and the American People...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lumpy 1, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Lumpy 1

Lumpy 1 Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,847
    Without going into details, name calling, even links because we all know it's true.

Do we just expect our politicians to lie to us, mainly when their running for office but also in general?

I suppose it's always been this way but is seems it's the severity of the lie that gets them in trouble enough, that the American people finally reject them.

A recent example , of course, you have Bill Clinton who, no doubt lied to the American people and to the courts and yet a greater percentage of the American people rallied around him.

Another example, John Ensign the Senator from Nevada had an affair, admitted to it and is rejected. In this case no severity at all..

Ah......fickle putts... :eusa_doh:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Lumpy 1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,847
    Well, I guess I'll just sweep this one under the carpet...:lol:

3. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    I have considered this every time I see a post here that is eluding "well they did it". Like it's okay everyone does it, no problem. I have a problem with our government leaders lying. Everyone should have a problem with that no matter what side of the fence they lean towards.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  4. uptownlivin90

uptownlivin90 Rebelious Youngin

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +384
    As long as they're not lying, I truly don't care. I'm not the kind of person that get's offended by personal scandals, just by people who lie about them to cover them up. For instance I don't care if Clinton get's a blow job in the office, not my business. Any man that does care is gay. I don't care if Ensign cheats on his wife, that's their business. Do you do your job, that's what I care about. If you lie about something related to what I elected you to do, Hell yeah your gone.

To answer your question though, uh yeah we SHOULD expect our politicians to lie to us, all of them. Because 93% of them ARE liars. There's a few straight talkers, Ron Paul, Tim Ryan, Dennis Kucinich, Congress woman Kapture. I don't neccesarily agree with all of em but there's a few out there that may have some stuff wrong but they're HONEST at least.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Lumpy 1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,847
    I wonder if it's because most of the politicians are lawyers and trained to deceive and see shades of truth.

6. uptownlivin90

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +384
    My favorite Honest Politicians:

Marcy Kaptur (D-OH)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCZ8JeEpUw]YouTube - WALLSTREET BAILOUT America is going down the toilet[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmp2XHgXkvU&feature=related]YouTube - Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur on NAFTA and elites 4/6/08[/ame]

Tim Ryan (D-OH)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePHJ5fWUgFQ]YouTube - Democrat Tim Ryan kicks Bush's ass[/ame]

Ron Paul (R-TX)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4kxTkhwR_Q]YouTube - Ron Paul 0wnz the Federal Reserve[/ame]

Dennis Kucinich (D-OH)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAGzLfmV4Ks]YouTube - Kucinich: Bailout 'Driven by Fear Not Fact'[/ame]

Russ Feingold (D-WI)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duS9YQCIRIg]YouTube - Sen. Feingold on the misuse of the Patriot Act[/ame]

I tend to think that midwestern politicians are more honest especially from Ohio alot of politicians for Ohio are actually concerned about the people they represent.

7. uptownlivin90

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +384
    Could be, but there's also a serious lack of accountability when it comes to lying in the political arena. These guys are not afraid of lying to the American people because they have gauranteed corporate lobbying jobs waiting for them if they get kicked out, as long as they work for the interests of the folks that fund their campaign and not for the interest fo the American people. This is why they really just don't seem to care who or what sees them. They have no fear. Of course this could be changed... it's just going to have to take people voting in politicians with integrity and taking off their partisan blindfolds.

8. Lumpy 1

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,847
    All truth and yet how do you fight pessimism, partisanship and the peanuts they throw out to keep people in line? Possibly the doom of a complete breakdown of government is the only answer.

9. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Lying to prove a point or to get the political advantage has always existed. I think a lot of the problem now is that there are so many lies that the lies become the truth.

Our politicians - both sides - no longer recognize the difference between lies and truth, they lie to get their own point across and we have no standards of honesty - we allow our politicians to lie to us and we reward them for it.

If we want to really change things, we should all - left, right and indies - stop electing idiots.

10. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Unfortunately, at this point I believe we need even 'babier' steps than that. We the People need to stop having a team sport mentality when it comes to politics.

Somehow, no matter how egregious the actions of a team member are, too many defend it because it's by their team.