Politicians Creating and Exploiting Division Among Americans for Political Gain

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
When I first started posting here on USMB, about two years ago, I was swept up in the political rivalry between liberals and conservatives. I joined in. I was resentful toward Christians, pro-lifers, big business, and many other kinds of conservatives and conservative goals and ideals. I admit it. I Christian bashed. I called people names. I looked down on conservatives as backward, ignorant, hateful, intolerant racists.

But, pretty soon, despite my best efforts, I realized that there are conservatives that I liked even if I didn't agree with their world-view: such as Immie, Gunny, Si Modo, and many others whose time I won't waste by listing them all here. But you know who you are. And you all know that I respect you and your views.

There are a lot of conservatives who insult, put down, call names, and maybe even hate liberals. And there are just as many liberals who do the same.

After I let go of seeing conservatives as "the other" side and just people whose lives have shaped them and whose experiences have led them to be conservative, after I stopped labeling them, I realized that they are people just like me. They're Americans.

I've seen the rancor between the two perspectives grow worse over the last two decades, especially the last year. And especially here on USMB. And just as much on Fox, MSNBC, etc.

I realize that this is something that has become a tool for politicians, be they Republican or Democrat. Divide and conquer. Gain support through like-minded hate or intolerance of the other side. It has ground down and brought the wheels of political progress to a halt.

And even worse than that, it has turned Americans against eachother. It reminds me of a very famous quote: United we stand, divided we fall.

The anger, hate, intolerance, and, more importantly, the distrust that have resulted from this rift between Americans makes it impossible for many of us to remain open to what eachother thinks and feels. We've stopped caring about eachother.

I'm a former Marine and was called a traitor by another poster here on USMB because of my liberal perspective. Now that is sad. I swore to protect the Constitution and have never betrayed that vow.

I understand that some people post here on USMB to blow off steam, to express their anger, or just to troll. Sometimes they are harder to see than those of us who are here to communicate, learn, and gain understanding, and to express our views. But if we all ignored that hateful posts and simply tried to communicate openly and honestly, and with compassion for eachother, perhaps the rift between Americans could be, if never healed, reduced.

Perhaps someone might be inspired by our compassion and start a movement that unites Americans without there needing to be another 9/11 to do it. Who knows?

All I know is that I like many liberals and conservatives. I don't think either can be broadly painted and neither should be considered bad people.

So let's pay attention to when political leaders say something that widens that division between us. Let's be aware that they are doing it. And let's NOT support them. All of us together, and maybe we can make a real and positive difference that all of us, liberal or conservative, can agree to and leave as a legacy for following generations and as an example for the rest of the world.

Thanks, Plymco, and every liberal and conservative who have been civil to eachother, for inspiring this thread - I hope it inspired others.

Politicians Creating and Exploiting Division Among Americans for Political Gain

Well Duhhh. But unfortunately most do not realize that fact.

I wholeheartedly agree with the ideas contained in this opening post.

I for one am trying very hard to not behave poorly toward those whom I disagree with on the USMB. A few members really test my resolve on this, and I may fail at it here and there, but overall I am trying very hard to remain open to others ideas and respectful of any disagreement.

Awesome thread :clap2:

Well the OP is sincere and kudos for his sentiments.

but all partisans are still enemies of the republic.

"a house divided cannot stand"

Partisans are the devil's apprentices.

When I first started posting here on USMB, about two years ago, I was swept up in the political rivalry between liberals and conservatives. I joined in. I was resentful toward Christians, pro-lifers, big business, and many other kinds of conservatives and conservative goals and ideals. I admit it. I Christian bashed. I called people names. I looked down on conservatives as backward, ignorant, hateful, intolerant racists.

But, pretty soon, despite my best efforts, I realized that there are conservatives that I liked even if I didn't agree with their world-view: such as Immie, Gunny, Si Modo, and many others whose time I won't waste by listing them all here. But you know who you are. And you all know that I respect you and your views.

There are a lot of conservatives who insult, put down, call names, and maybe even hate liberals. And there are just as many liberals who do the same.

After I let go of seeing conservatives as "the other" side and just people whose lives have shaped them and whose experiences have led them to be conservative, after I stopped labeling them, I realized that they are people just like me. They're Americans.

I've seen the rancor between the two perspectives grow worse over the last two decades, especially the last year. And especially here on USMB. And just as much on Fox, MSNBC, etc.

I realize that this is something that has become a tool for politicians, be they Republican or Democrat. Divide and conquer. Gain support through like-minded hate or intolerance of the other side. It has ground down and brought the wheels of political progress to a halt.

And even worse than that, it has turned Americans against eachother. It reminds me of a very famous quote: United we stand, divided we fall.

The anger, hate, intolerance, and, more importantly, the distrust that have resulted from this rift between Americans makes it impossible for many of us to remain open to what eachother thinks and feels. We've stopped caring about eachother.

I'm a former Marine and was called a traitor by another poster here on USMB because of my liberal perspective. Now that is sad. I swore to protect the Constitution and have never betrayed that vow.

I understand that some people post here on USMB to blow off steam, to express their anger, or just to troll. Sometimes they are harder to see than those of us who are here to communicate, learn, and gain understanding, and to express our views. But if we all ignored that hateful posts and simply tried to communicate openly and honestly, and with compassion for eachother, perhaps the rift between Americans could be, if never healed, reduced.

Perhaps someone might be inspired by our compassion and start a movement that unites Americans without there needing to be another 9/11 to do it. Who knows?

All I know is that I like many liberals and conservatives. I don't think either can be broadly painted and neither should be considered bad people.

So let's pay attention to when political leaders say something that widens that division between us. Let's be aware that they are doing it. And let's NOT support them. All of us together, and maybe we can make a real and positive difference that all of us, liberal or conservative, can agree to and leave as a legacy for following generations and as an example for the rest of the world.

Thanks, Plymco, and every liberal and conservative who have been civil to eachother, for inspiring this thread - I hope it inspired others.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

>"I'm a former Marine and was called a traitor by another poster here on USMB because of my liberal perspective. Now that is sad. I swore to protect the Constitution and have never betrayed that vow.">
You're no traitor.
HOWEVER
You damn sure did fail, brainwashed asshole.
If that were really the case there would have been a bloodbath in DC when the patriot"ACT" was signed into "law'.
You didn't protect shit.
You and all of the other boot polishing, flag worshiping assholes have failed your country.

I remember a time when if a person campaigning used negative advertising, it was a guarantee he/she would lose. Over the last 20 years, we've become increasingly intolerant of just about anything that goes against one's grain, whether on a personal or political level.

I know there are people on the right and left who are middle roaders, but they would rather die than be known as compromisers. There are also an awful lot of people who spend so much time on the Internet collecting so much information (personal and political) that there is no time left for the required downtime the brain needs in order to actually process that information. Maybe a good starting point is to spend more time actually communicating with each other in real conversations and allow conscience and rationality to re-emerge as at least part of decision-making instead of over-reactionary he said/she said, us v. them mentality which create either black or white solutions.

Great post, Colorado! :clap2:

Forum List

Back