Politicians and Palestine

Mar 24, 2012
I work for a government official, a Democrat from Hawaii, and I am so confused as to why people can’t just advocate equally for both parties, especially when it doesn’t affect them at all. It hurts to watch a woman that I respect so much have to pledge allegiance to the Jews in order to finance her campaign. I have heard people say and my boss agree, "the Palestinian refugee problem will be solved outside the borders of Israel" meaning that myself and my family wouldn't be able to return to the land where they lived for 1,500 years. Why is it okay for Jews to return to "their homeland" but it's not okay for the Arabs too? My family is from Jerusalem and what they call "Tel Aviv." They don't want us to return, because then that would threaten their "Jewish" state. Why can't they just have an open pluralistic state and let anyone come live there? They condemn other religious states like Iran, but for some reason it's okay for them to be a religious state?

It's really hard to listen to these words. They say they are democratic but how they can defend a Jewish right to return and not a Palestinian right to return= that sounds like UNEQUAL RIGHTS to me. And why do the Israeli's have the right to have a military but the Arabs next door don't? They always talk about having unfriendly neighbors, what about the Palestinian peasants, who barely have enough food to feed their families, and the sustanence farmers whose land is taken from them to build settlements? Don't they have unfriendly neighbors too? Don't you think that if you're "neighbor" was able to come and bulldoze your house and not pay you a single penny for it, that you might call that an "unfriendly neighbor" too?

I work for a government official, a Democrat from Hawaii, and I am so confused as to why people can’t just advocate equally for both parties, especially when it doesn’t affect them at all. It hurts to watch a woman that I respect so much have to pledge allegiance to the Jews in order to finance her campaign. I have heard people say and my boss agree, "the Palestinian refugee problem will be solved outside the borders of Israel" meaning that myself and my family wouldn't be able to return to the land where they lived for 1,500 years. Why is it okay for Jews to return to "their homeland" but it's not okay for the Arabs too? My family is from Jerusalem and what they call "Tel Aviv." They don't want us to return, because then that would threaten their "Jewish" state. Why can't they just have an open pluralistic state and let anyone come live there? They condemn other religious states like Iran, but for some reason it's okay for them to be a religious state?

It's really hard to listen to these words. They say they are democratic but how they can defend a Jewish right to return and not a Palestinian right to return= that sounds like UNEQUAL RIGHTS to me. And why do the Israeli's have the right to have a military but the Arabs next door don't? They always talk about having unfriendly neighbors, what about the Palestinian peasants, who barely have enough food to feed their families, and the sustanence farmers whose land is taken from them to build settlements? Don't they have unfriendly neighbors too? Don't you think that if you're "neighbor" was able to come and bulldoze your house and not pay you a single penny for it, that you might call that an "unfriendly neighbor" too?

Your tone and questions are both measured and reasonable so I will attempt to answer in kind. I believe there will be some repatriation for legit complaintants and compensation for others (90% of Palestinians say they prefer the latter). Israel is not a religious state but rather the Jewish Homeland. The fact that people were wrongly displaced in 1948 is a tragedy and your pain seems genuine. Some Arabs managed to remain in Israel and now constitute about 20% of Israel's citizens. The right of return is tricky because not all who claim that right were actually displaced and some who are legit will not return to be peaceful citizens of Israel.
Like all countries, Israelis have the right to decide who will and who won't be allowed to enter Israel, much as Saudia Arabians and Iranians do in their countries.
You clearly have a problem with Israel's existence as, as you say, the "Jewish Homeland" but it is indeed the Jewish Homeland and until you & Israel's neighbors can accept that fact there is little chance your Palestinian brethren will escape their current plight.
I'm not certain that your boss is required to "pledge allegiance to the Jews" as you claim, unless she is begging funding from pro-Israel sources. Perhaps she could seek pro-Palestinian sources instead. Of course, even with that kind of funding, her constituents may not be willing to elect her.
I am sorry your family was displaced but that was a rather common occurence following WW2. All post WW2 refugees have found new homes and made new lives. All but the Palestinians.

Please spare me your bleading heart drama over the plight of the Palestinians with their wonderful leaders like Arafat & now Hamas. They are but a bunch of squatters on Israel's ancient land. And only Israel ever made peace offerings to Palestinians, built a security fence & conceded land to them so they can remain in Israel. Face it, no surrounding Arab country, who know the Palestinians best, ever treated them like Israel does. And no surrounding Arab country will even grant their Palestinians a right of return back to their indigenous homelands. Tell us please, why is that?

I work for a government official, a Democrat from Hawaii, and I am so confused as to why people can’t just advocate equally for both parties, especially when it doesn’t affect them at all.
A few words of advice, if you work for a government official don't say so, unless you are prepared to state your name, and create a questionnaire. However if you don't want your identity exposed here it is probably a bad idea, if this exposes personal opinions that you don't want to enter the public sphere, aka the Internet is part of the public sphere. Next time you join a forum you would be better off just asking as a member of the forum, rather than as a member of government as you are more likely to get honest answers.

1) It hurts to watch a woman that I respect so much have to pledge allegiance to the Jews in order to finance her campaign. I have heard people say and my boss agree, "the Palestinian refugee problem will be solved outside the borders of Israel" meaning that myself and my family wouldn't be able to return to the land where they lived for 1,500 years. Why is it okay for Jews to return to "their homeland" but it's not okay for the Arabs too? My family is from Jerusalem and what they call "Tel Aviv." They don't want us to return, because then that would threaten their "Jewish" state. Why can't they just have an open pluralistic state and let anyone come live there? They condemn other religious states like Iran, but for some reason it's okay for them to be a religious state?

Thats the political landscape, you have to deal with it, in the end though Israel is not a box that just agrees with itself, there are plenty of small parties within Israel that want a more secular and inclusive society, the difficulty with the return of refugees is that unfortunately the Palestinian territories are full of religious extremists, making negotiations almost impossible aka Hamas and Fatah don't want Israel to exist, and there is not the political will within Israel to support people returning that threaten the existence of Israel (and that is how the refugees are perceived aka as a security risk).

I wouldn't deny there is a struggle within Israel between religious extremist Jews and secular Jews adhering to the founding principles of the Israeli nation. It is the religious extremists in the government coalition that support the construction of more homes in at risk areas and the expulsion of Arabs, and the military incursions. The settlers as they are called are ordinary families trying to make a living, and the Israeli government offers them land, they accept, and then when a few years down the track the government wants to take the land back for 'peace', they are naturally going to refuse to leave.

2) It's really hard to listen to these words. They say they are democratic but how they can defend a Jewish right to return and not a Palestinian right to return= that sounds like UNEQUAL RIGHTS to me. And why do the Israeli's have the right to have a military but the Arabs next door don't?

You are confusing human rights issues with democracy, democracy is merely the reflection of the views of the majority of voters, the majority of voters do not want a Palestinian right of return, so there has not been one. That doesn't suggest that Israelis are against Palestinian Arabs being part of Israeli society. Secondly the Palestinians do have their own military, and Israel hasn't stopped them from having one, the reason why the Hamas/Fatah controlled territories are so weak is because the Israeli military has been forced to attack them to defend against rocket attacks, and terrorist activity.

3) They always talk about having unfriendly neighbors, what about the Palestinian peasants, who barely have enough food to feed their families, and the sustanence farmers whose land is taken from them to build settlements? Don't they have unfriendly neighbors too? Don't you think that if you're "neighbor" was able to come and bulldoze your house and not pay you a single penny for it, that you might call that an "unfriendly neighbor" too?

There is no starvation in Gaza and the Palestinian territories, the Israeli government provides regular food aid and the like, the rest they get through tunnels from Egypt. As for the 'settlements', I don't think I agree with that policy, it seems unethical and disturbing, but again what is at fault there is the policies of the current government coalition within Israel, it is easy for religious radicals within Israel to use the existence of Hamas and Fatah as an excuse to deny Arabs land rights, as in the eyes of the Israeli government the Palestinian territories are war zones.

Last edited:

1-The Palestinians have not been living in that land for 1500 years, that is a lie. Also, They never called themselves Palestinans up until the 1960's. The Palestinian people are a fabrication as is their national identity. It is a very recent invention. The land was never theirs to begin with, and the Jews that came did not kick the Arabs who called themselves Palestinains out, they merely defeated those who controlled the land, the British.

2- Arabs do have a right to a military. They ganged up on Israel 5 times in the past and got defeated. In the process the Arabs that call themselves Palestinians sided with the Arab genocidal plan, and some were displaced, as a result of tis bad decision and defeat. There are consequences to being the looser in a war of aggression, and trying to "finish what the Nazis couldn't". .

3- Perhaps the Palestinians can focus more on peace with Israel, instead of terror and trying to kill the Israelis. Maybe all that money they are getting cold be put to good use? Also, it would be a good first step for Hamas to remove the destruction of the state of Israel from its charter. Do you expect an internationally recognized terrorist organization to be given more arms? Heck they're already shooting missiles at Israelis. Last week ,ore than 100 missiles were shot into Israel. What was the reason? You expect the Israelis to do what, Send them bouquets of flowers?

Let's be serious, these lies and false propoganda aren't working. The Palestinians need to chart a different path for themselves. Their terror sponsors in Syria and Iran arent going to last much longer.

Your tone and questions are both measured and reasonable so I will attempt to answer in kind. I believe there will be some repatriation for legit complaintants and compensation for others (90% of Palestinians say they prefer the latter). Israel is not a religious state but rather the Jewish Homeland. The fact that people were wrongly displaced in 1948 is a tragedy and your pain seems genuine. Some Arabs managed to remain in Israel and now constitute about 20% of Israel's citizens. The right of return is tricky because not all who claim that right were actually displaced and some who are legit will not return to be peaceful citizens of Israel.
Like all countries, Israelis have the right to decide who will and who won't be allowed to enter Israel, much as Saudia Arabians and Iranians do in their countries.
You clearly have a problem with Israel's existence as, as you say, the "Jewish Homeland" but it is indeed the Jewish Homeland and until you & Israel's neighbors can accept that fact there is little chance your Palestinian brethren will escape their current plight.
I'm not certain that your boss is required to "pledge allegiance to the Jews" as you claim, unless she is begging funding from pro-Israel sources. Perhaps she could seek pro-Palestinian sources instead. Of course, even with that kind of funding, her constituents may not be willing to elect her.
I am sorry your family was displaced but that was a rather common occurence following WW2. All post WW2 refugees have found new homes and made new lives. All but the Palestinians.

A very good answer.

Arab American Journalist Joseph Farah: The Myth Of Palestine And Palestinians
The truth is that Palestine is no more real than Never-Never Land. The first time the name was used was in 70 A.D. when the Romans committed genocide against the Jews, smashed the Temple and declared the land of Israel would be no more. From then on, the Romans promised, it would be known as Palestine. The name was derived from the Philistines, a Goliathian people conquered by the Jews centuries earlier. It was a way for the Romans to add insult to injury. They also tried to change the name of Jerusalem to Aelia Capitolina, but that had even less staying power.

Palestine has never existed — before or since — as an autonomous entity. It was ruled alternately by Rome, by Islamic and Christian crusaders, by the Ottoman Empire and, briefly, by the British after World War I. The British agreed to restore at least part of the land to the Jewish people as their homeland.

There is no language known as Palestinian. There is no distinct Palestinian culture. There has never been a land known as Palestine governed by Palestinians. Palestinians are Arabs, indistinguishable from Jordanians (another recent invention), Syrians, Lebanese, Iraqis, etc. Keep in mind that the Arabs control 99.9 percent of the Middle East lands. Israel represents one-tenth of 1 percent of the landmass.

But that’s too much for the Arabs. They want it all. And that is ultimately what the fighting in Israel is about today. Greed. Pride. Envy. Covetousness. No matter how many land concessions the Israelis make, it will never be enough.

I know what you’re going to say: “Farah, the Al Aqsa Mosque and the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem represent Islam’s third most holy sites.”

Not true. In fact, the Quran says nothing about Jerusalem. It mentions Mecca hundreds of times. It mentions Medina countless times. It never mentions Jerusalem. With good reason. There is no historical evidence to suggest Muhammad ever visited Jerusalem.

So how did Jerusalem become the third holiest site of Islam? Muslims today cite a vague passage in the Quran, the 17th Sura, entitled “The Night Journey.” It relates that in a dream or a vision Muhammad was carried by night “from the sacred temple to the temple that is most remote, whose precinct we have blessed, that we might show him our signs. …” In the seventh century, some Muslims identified the two temples mentioned in this verse as being in Mecca and Jerusalem. And that’s as close as Islam’s connection with Jerusalem gets — myth, fantasy, wishful thinking. Meanwhile, Jews can trace their roots in Jerusalem back to the days of Abraham.
Myths of the Middle East

Arab American Journalist Joseph Farah: The Myth Of Palestine And Palestinians
The truth is that Palestine is no more real than Never-Never Land. The first time the name was used was in 70 A.D. when the Romans committed genocide against the Jews, smashed the Temple and declared the land of Israel would be no more. From then on, the Romans promised, it would be known as Palestine. The name was derived from the Philistines, a Goliathian people conquered by the Jews centuries earlier. It was a way for the Romans to add insult to injury. They also tried to change the name of Jerusalem to Aelia Capitolina, but that had even less staying power.

Palestine has never existed — before or since — as an autonomous entity. It was ruled alternately by Rome, by Islamic and Christian crusaders, by the Ottoman Empire and, briefly, by the British after World War I. The British agreed to restore at least part of the land to the Jewish people as their homeland.

There is no language known as Palestinian. There is no distinct Palestinian culture. There has never been a land known as Palestine governed by Palestinians. Palestinians are Arabs, indistinguishable from Jordanians (another recent invention), Syrians, Lebanese, Iraqis, etc. Keep in mind that the Arabs control 99.9 percent of the Middle East lands. Israel represents one-tenth of 1 percent of the landmass.

But that’s too much for the Arabs. They want it all. And that is ultimately what the fighting in Israel is about today. Greed. Pride. Envy. Covetousness. No matter how many land concessions the Israelis make, it will never be enough.

I know what you’re going to say: “Farah, the Al Aqsa Mosque and the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem represent Islam’s third most holy sites.”

Not true. In fact, the Quran says nothing about Jerusalem. It mentions Mecca hundreds of times. It mentions Medina countless times. It never mentions Jerusalem. With good reason. There is no historical evidence to suggest Muhammad ever visited Jerusalem.

So how did Jerusalem become the third holiest site of Islam? Muslims today cite a vague passage in the Quran, the 17th Sura, entitled “The Night Journey.” It relates that in a dream or a vision Muhammad was carried by night “from the sacred temple to the temple that is most remote, whose precinct we have blessed, that we might show him our signs. …” In the seventh century, some Muslims identified the two temples mentioned in this verse as being in Mecca and Jerusalem. And that’s as close as Islam’s connection with Jerusalem gets — myth, fantasy, wishful thinking. Meanwhile, Jews can trace their roots in Jerusalem back to the days of Abraham.
Myths of the Middle East

Everything Joseph Farah says is true. Also considering that he is of middle eastern decent. The Arabs that call themselves Palestinians now, never did so up until the mid 1960's. Prior to that, to call an Arab Palestinian would be an insult because the term was used to label Jews that were living there. Mohammad never stepped foot anywhere close to Jerusalem. That is also a recent early 20 century invention by Arafat's Nazi uncle, the Mufti of Jerusalem, to create a religious movement for the genocidal campaign he was waging against Jews. He actually wrote letters to Hitler and Himmler requesting that instead of letting the Jews escape, they should be killed. He was singlehandedly responsible for approximately 500,000 Jews being sent to the death camps for this reason.

Dr. Jerold Auerbach, PhD and Master's degrees in History, Columbia University, Chairman of the History Department, Wellesley College

When The Arabs Themselves Denied There Was a Palestine
Newt Gingrich has been challenged for calling the Palestinians an “invented” people. He was accused by a spokesman for the American Task Force on Palestine of “deep historical ignorance and an irrational hostility toward Palestinian identity.” To Sabri Saidam, adviser to Palestinian Authority’s president, Mahmoud Abbas, Mr. Gingrich had displayed “extreme racism.” But the former speaker seems to know more about Palestinian history than his critics. Indeed, Palestinians have said the same thing about themselves for decades.

Testifying before the British Peel Commission in 1937, Syrian leader Auni Bey Abdul-Hadi asserted: “There is no such country as Palestine. . . . Our country was for centuries part of Syria. ‘Palestine’ is alien to us.” Prominent Arab historian Philip Hitti conceded: “There is no such thing as Palestine, absolutely not.” According to Columbia history professor Rashid Khalidi, a student of Palestinian identity, “Palestine” did not even exist until it emerged from the wreckage of World War I.

Zahir Muhsein, PLO military commander and member of its executive committee, acknowledged: “There are no differences between Jordanians, Palestinians, Syrians and Lebanese. We are all part of one nation.” Identification of a Palestinian state, he conceded, was merely “a new tool in the continuing battle against Israel.”

There is nothing new or wrong with being an “invented” people. The important question is whether a national identity is constructed from the distinctive experience of a people or, as the Palestinians have done, from plundering the history and heritage that belong to someone else.

Mr. Gingrich has been criticized near and far for his “invented” people observation. An Arab-Israeli Knesset member deplored his “lame and shameful comments.” Governor Romney blamed his rival for “incendiary words.” But Mr. Gingrich, as Palestinians have testified for 75 years, knows his history.

When the Arabs Themselves Denied There Was a Palestine - The New York Sun

How can Israel be "stealing Palestinian land" when the first & only indigenous Palestinians were Jews & there were no Muslims at all, let alone Palestinian Muslims until the 7th century AD? Very cleaver those Zionists. Heh Heh.

How can Israel be "stealing Palestinian land" when the first & only indigenous Palestinians were Jews & there were no Muslims at all, let alone Palestinian Muslims until the 7th century AD? Very cleaver those Zionists. Heh Heh.

I am forced to conclude that either you won't learn or you can't learn ! You should be embarrassed that you have to be told so many times ! I will try again. There were cities in Canaan around 3500 BC. Abraham the father of the Hebrews was not even alive in the year 2000 BC, therefore the Jews cannot be indigenous to Palestine. Please look up the word indigenous before you make an even bigger idiot of yourself.

NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO BELIEVE SOMETHING YOUR WISHES WILL NOT MAKE IT TRUE !!!

I am forced to conclude that either you won't learn or you can't learn ! You should be embarrassed that you have to be told so many times ! I will try again. There were cities in Canaan around 3500 BC. Abraham the father of the Hebrews was not even alive in the year 2000 BC, therefore the Jews cannot be indigenous to Palestine. Please look up the word indigenous before you make an even bigger idiot of yourself.

NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO BELIEVE SOMETHING YOUR WISHES WILL NOT MAKE IT TRUE !!!

You're allowed to be uneducated. The consensus among archaeologists and biblical scholars is the ancient Israelites emerged from Canaanite society.

The archaeological record verifies the existence of Jews in Israel dating back 3000+ years. Palestine was invented by the Romans in the second century CE and imposed the invented name on Israel in an attempt to erase Jewish nationhood, 1500 years after Israel was established

Israel appears 2500 times in the Bible and Quran. Number of times palestine appears in the Bible and Quran: Zero

Harvard Semitic Museum: The Houses of Ancient Israel
In archaeological terms The Houses of Ancient Israel: Domestic, Royal, Divine focuses on the Iron Age (1200-586 B.C.E.). Iron I (1200-1000 B.C.E.) represents the premonarchical period. Iron II (1000-586 B.C.E.) was the time of kings. Uniting the tribal coalitions of Israel and Judah in the tenth century B.C.E., David and Solomon ruled over an expanding realm. After Solomon's death (c. 930 B.C.E.) Israel and Judah separated into two kingdoms.

Israel was led at times by strong kings, Omri and Ahab in the ninth century B.C.E. and Jereboam II in the eighth. http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k66717&tabgroupid=icb.tabgroup103110

Last edited:
by MJB

You're allowed to be uneducated. The consensus among archaeologists and biblical scholars is the ancient Israelites emerged from Canaanite society.

The archaeological record verifies the existence of Jews in Israel dating back 3000+ years. Palestine was invented by the Romans in the second century CE and imposed on Israel, 1500 years after Israel was established

Israel appears 2500 times in the Bible and Quran. Number of times palestine appears in the Bible and Quran: Zero

In archaeological terms The Houses of Ancient Israel: Domestic, Royal, Divine focuses on the Iron Age (1200-586 B.C.E.). Iron I (1200-1000 B.C.E.) represents the premonarchical period. Iron II (1000-586 B.C.E.) was the time of kings. Uniting the tribal coalitions of Israel and Judah in the tenth century B.C.E., David and Solomon ruled over an expanding realm. After Solomon's death (c. 930 B.C.E.) Israel and Judah separated into two kingdoms.

Israel was led at times by strong kings, Omri and Ahab in the ninth century B.C.E. and Jereboam II in the eighth. The Houses of Ancient Israel § Semitic Museum

It is not that I am uneducated as you so rudely suggest ! Instead it seems as if you may have a reading comprehension problem. The question that I was dealing with was the fact that MJB continues to insist that the Jews were the " first and only indigenous people of palestine. " Since there were cities and societies ( sp ) in Caanan around 3500 BC and Abraham did not make an appearance untill some where around 2000 BC, you will have to addmit that the Jews could not be indigenous to Palestine.

by MJB

The archaeological record verifies the existence of Jews in Israel dating back 3000+ years. Palestine was invented by the Romans in the second century CE and imposed on Israel, 1500 years after Israel was established

It is not that I am uneducated as you so rudely suggest ! Instead it seems as if you may have a reading comprehension problem. The question that I was dealing with was the fact that MJB continues to insist that the Jews were the " first and only indigenous people of palestine. " Since there were cities and societies ( sp ) in Caanan around 3500 BC and Abraham did not make an appearance untill some where around 2000 BC, you will have to addmit that the Jews could not be indigenous to Palestine.

You're way out of your depth.

palestine was invented by Roman pagans who occupied Israel in the second century CE and imposed the Latin name palestina on Israel.

Jesus Christ was the King of Israel in the New Testament, not of the fictional palestine.

Palestine does not appear in the Hebrew Bible, New Testament, Septuagint or even the Quran.

Israel appears 2500 times in the Hebrew Bible, New Testament and the Quran.

Exodus 34:27 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.

John 12:13 They took palm branches and went out to meet him, shouting, “Hosanna! “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord! “Blessed is the king of Israel!”

John 1:49 Then Nathanael declared, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel."

Last edited:
by MJB

palestine is a bogus word invented by the Romans to rename Israel in an attempt to erase 1000 years of Jewish nationhood in Israel. The correct historical name of the land is Israel.

Read, learn...

Biblical Historian and Scholar Dr. Paula Fredriksen, Professor of Religion, Boston University; Ph.D, History of Religion, Princeton University; Diploma in Theology, Oxford University
The Judean revolt against Rome was led by [Jewish rebel] Bar Kochba in 132-135 CE. The immediate causes of this rebellion are obscure. Its result was not: [Roman Emperor] Hadrian crushed the revolt and banned Jews from Judea.

The Romans now designated this territory by a political neologism, "Palestine" [a Latin form of "Philistine"], in a deliberate effort to denationalize Jewish/Judean territory. And, finally, Hadrian eradicated Jewish Jerusalem, erecting upon its ruins a new pagan city, Aelia Capitolina.
Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews by Paula Fredriksen - Book - Random House

PBS...
The Roman response to the Jewish revolt against Rome was massive. Hadrian's wrath knew no bounds. He even sought to erase the Jewish {People from world memory, changing the name of their country from Judaea to Syria Palaestina.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEuQ4hggc5A]Ancient Refuge in The Holy Land. NOVA 2004 3/6 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
by MJB

palestine is a bogus word invented by the Romans to rename Israel in an attempt to erase 1000 years of Jewish nationhood in Israel. The correct historical name of the land is Israel.Read, learn...

Biblical Historian and Scholar Dr. Paula Fredriksen, Professor of Religion, Boston University; Ph.D, History of Religion, Princeton University; Diploma in Theology, Oxford University
The Judean revolt against Rome was led by [Jewish rebel] Bar Kochba in 132-135 CE. The immediate causes of this rebellion are obscure. Its result was not: [Roman Emperor] Hadrian crushed the revolt and banned Jews from Judea.

The Romans now designated this territory by a political neologism, "Palestine" [a Latin form of "Philistine"], in a deliberate effort to denationalize Jewish/Judean territory. And, finally, Hadrian eradicated Jewish Jerusalem, erecting upon its ruins a new pagan city, Aelia Capitolina.
Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews by Paula Fredriksen - Book - Random House

PBS...
The Roman response to the Jewish revolt against Rome was massive. Hadrian's wrath knew no bounds. He even sought to erase the Jewish {People from world memory, changing the name of their country from Judaea to Syria Palaestina.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEuQ4hggc5A]Ancient Refuge in The Holy Land. NOVA 2004 3/6 - YouTube[/ame]

The question that I was attempting to deal with is weather or not Jews are indigenous to Palestine/Israel/Caanan !!! I don't care what you call it, it is all the same geographical area

Also as regards to the red highlighted area above, I could just as accuratly say that Israel is a bogus name made up by the Jews to remove all memory of the name Caanan from the area. That would be historically correct also wouldn't it. After all the Caanites were there for approximatly 1500 years before the Hebrews arrived on the sean !!!

Last edited:
Eminent Middle East Historian Dr. Bernard Lewis, Professor Emeritus of Near Eastern Studies at Princeton University, Author, "The Middle East: A Brief History of the Last 2000 Years," "The Future of the Middle East," "The Shaping of the Modern Middle East," "The End of Modern History in the Middle East," Faith and Power: Religion and Politics in the Middle East"

The adjective Palestinian is comparatively new. This, I need hardly remind you, is a region of ancient civilization and of deep-rooted and often complex identitites. But, Palestine was not one of them. People might identify themselves for various purposes, by religion, by descent, or by allegiance to a particular state or ruler, or, sometimes, locality. But, when they did it locally it was generally either the city and the immediate district or the larger province, so they would have been Jerusalemites or Jaffaites or Syrians, identifying with the larger province of Syria

The constitution or the formation of a political entity called Palestine which eventually gave rise to a nationality called Palestinian were lasting innovations of the British Mandate [1922-1948]

The countries forming the western arm of the Fertile Crescent were called by the names of the various kingdoms and peoples that ruled and inhabited them. Of these, the most familiar, or at least the best documented, are the southern lands, known in the earlier books of the Hebrew Bible and some other ancient writings as Canaan.

After the Israelite conquest and settlement, the area inhabited by them came to be described as "land of the children of Israel" or simply "land of Israel" After the breakup of the kingdom of David and Solomon in the tenth century BCE, the southern part, with Jerusalem as its capital, was called Judah, while the north was called Israel

It is by now commonplace that the civilizations of the Middle East are oldest known to human history. They go back thousands of years, much older than the civilizations of India and China, not to speak of other upstart places. It is also interesting, though now often forgotten, that the ancient civilizations of the Middle East were almost totally obliterated and forgotten by their own people as well as by others. Their monuments were defaced or destroyed, their languages forgotten, their scripts forgotten, their history forgotten and even their identities forgotten.

All that was known about them came from one single source, and that is Israel, the only component of the ancient Middle East to have retained their identity, their memory, their language and their books. For a very long time, up to comparatively modern times, with rare exceptions all that was known about the ancient Middle East--the Babylonians, the Egyptians and the rest--was what the Jewish tradiiton has preserved.
Amazon.com: Political Words and Ideas in Islam (9781558764248): Bernard Lewis: Books

American Library Association
"For more than four decades, Bernard Lewis has been one of the most respected scholars and prolific writers on the history and politics of the Middle East. In this compilation of more than 50 journal articles and essays, he displays the full range of his eloquence, knowledge, and insight regarding this pivotal and volatile region."
Oxford University Press: Search Results

Forum List

Back