PoliticalChic's Review of "Waiting for Superman"

The manageability of a classroom can certainly be profoundly affected by the nature of the cultural upbringing of the children, as it relates to such things as discipline, attitude, desire to learn, etc., etc.

I'm suggesting that 35 Japanese kids might be as easily taught in a class as 25 American kids, just because of cultural differences.

so, why hasn't this paradigm ever been as obvious?

"As obvious" as.........what?

The fact is that homogeneous cultures are much easier to manage (govern), in both a microcosim (classroom) and macrocosm (nation), than heterogeneous cultures: E.g. What language shall we speak in school? Do the Koreans, or Finns struggle to teach Vietnamese, Mexican, and Somalis in their own languages?

No.

as obvious by the yardsticks we apply now and defects we find ,that are the basis of any discussion when it comes to making comparisons using oecd etc.

The performance of our students has degraded vis a vis others (OECD) in the measured grps.

Were the Orientals less disciplined decades ago? The Finns?

How were the class sizes, here and there comparatively, ours were somewhat higher than the average today.

I said in "metropolitan" areas. Perhaps I should have been more specific, i.e., inner city public schools.

Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg to give $100m to Newark's crumbling schools | Richard Adams | World news | guardian.co.uk

how does this apply to waiting for superman? :eusa_eh:

Not having seen the movie yet, I don't know if there's any reference to student:teacher ratio or not. But suffice it to say, I've seen it a LOT, where classrooms are filled to overflowing with 30 or more students and one teacher trying to teach, say, math to a bunch of adolescents more interested in goofing off with each other. I'd like to see anyone here try to do it and control the class at the same time.

they do it in parochial schools all the time.

and I am till curious why you find the zuckerman guilt award ;), to be meaningful?

Last edited:
Friday we are having dinner with five teachers, I will ask them what they think of this film or idea.

Our son taught math in HS in a middle to upper middle class public school. He loved his bright students, his stupid students, which were the majority, caused a career change into respect and lots more money. It is America folks, not unions, not teachers, not all America but American culture. My wife has taught math for over twenty years. The rich do not go to these schools, ever wonder why? Has nothing to do with teachers, has lots to do with teacher pay and other perks money brings. Check out cost in private schools. And if unions disappeared this would be the same, probably worse in the poor areas.

"Here's what you see in Waiting for Superman, the new documentary that celebrates the charter school movement while blaming teachers unions for much of what ails American education: working- and middle-class parents desperate to get their charming, healthy, well-behaved children into successful public charter schools.

Here's what you don't see: the four out of five charters that are no better, on average, than traditional neighborhood public schools (and are sometimes much worse); charter school teachers, like those at the Green Dot schools in Los Angeles, who are unionized and like it that way; and noncharter neighborhood public schools, like PS 83 in East Harlem and the George Hall Elementary School in Mobile, Alabama, that are nationally recognized for successfully educating poor children." Grading 'Waiting for Superman' | The Nation

to bad they ( the nation and it sounds like those teachers) didn't see the movie , or if they did and thats all they got out of it, I wouldn't want my kids in their classroom.

Maybe there's something in the rest of the article that would appeal to you. Teachers MUST BE paid on merit, and not tenure, that's a given. But teachers likewise should be PAID the money they deserve for the most under-appreciated job in the world. There was a time when a "teacher" was a parent-figure, respected as the adult in the room while attending classes. Back then, a dedicated teacher didn't care quite as much that his/her pay was less than could be made in another vocation because the results of the effort were worth it. But why should a young person going to college in order to get a teacher's degree be subjected to a base salary just above the poverty line to teach a bunch of rowdy kids who don't really want to be taught? That's why so many GOOD teachers leave the profession.

The manageability of a classroom can certainly be profoundly affected by the nature of the cultural upbringing of the children, as it relates to such things as discipline, attitude, desire to learn, etc., etc.

I'm suggesting that 35 Japanese kids might be as easily taught in a class as 25 American kids, just because of cultural differences.

so, why hasn't this paradigm ever been as obvious?

"As obvious" as.........what?

The fact is that homogeneous cultures are much easier to manage (govern), in both a microcosim (classroom) and macrocosm (nation), than heterogeneous cultures: E.g. What language shall we speak in school? Do the Koreans, or Finns struggle to teach Vietnamese, Mexican, and Somalis in their own languages?

No.

You should have posted a graph showing just US schools, which would have resolved this issue. Trying to compare apples and oranges doesn't cut it because as YOU said, there is no uniform "American education system."

how does this apply to waiting for superman? :eusa_eh:

Not having seen the movie yet, I don't know if there's any reference to student:teacher ratio or not. But suffice it to say, I've seen it a LOT, where classrooms are filled to overflowing with 30 or more students and one teacher trying to teach, say, math to a bunch of adolescents more interested in goofing off with each other. I'd like to see anyone here try to do it and control the class at the same time.

and I am till curious why you find the zuckerman guilt award ;), to be meaningful?

The NJ school was just an example. But your point about parochial schools is right-on. Also, charter schools succeed on so many levels because their classroom sizes are generally smaller, even further making my point.

Friday we are having dinner with five teachers, I will ask them what they think of this film or idea.

Our son taught math in HS in a middle to upper middle class public school. He loved his bright students, his stupid students, which were the majority, caused a career change into respect and lots more money. It is America folks, not unions, not teachers, not all America but American culture. My wife has taught math for over twenty years. The rich do not go to these schools, ever wonder why? Has nothing to do with teachers, has lots to do with teacher pay and other perks money brings. Check out cost in private schools. And if unions disappeared this would be the same, probably worse in the poor areas.

"Here's what you see in Waiting for Superman, the new documentary that celebrates the charter school movement while blaming teachers unions for much of what ails American education: working- and middle-class parents desperate to get their charming, healthy, well-behaved children into successful public charter schools.

Here's what you don't see: the four out of five charters that are no better, on average, than traditional neighborhood public schools (and are sometimes much worse); charter school teachers, like those at the Green Dot schools in Los Angeles, who are unionized and like it that way; and noncharter neighborhood public schools, like PS 83 in East Harlem and the George Hall Elementary School in Mobile, Alabama, that are nationally recognized for successfully educating poor children." Grading 'Waiting for Superman' | The Nation

to bad they ( the nation and it sounds like those teachers) didn't see the movie , or if they did and thats all they got out of it, I wouldn't want my kids in their classroom.

Maybe there's something in the rest of the article that would appeal to you. Teachers MUST BE paid on merit, and not tenure, that's a given. But teachers likewise should be PAID the money they deserve for the most under-appreciated job in the world. There was a time when a "teacher" was a parent-figure, respected as the adult in the room while attending classes. Back then, a dedicated teacher didn't care quite as much that his/her pay was less than could be made in another vocation because the results of the effort were worth it. But why should a young person going to college in order to get a teacher's degree be subjected to a base salary just above the poverty line to teach a bunch of rowdy kids who don't really want to be taught? That's why so many GOOD teachers leave the profession.

I have a deadline to fill, I'll be back, but meanwhile MM,if you have not see it , give this a look Google an article on Tinker v. Des Moines ...theres one from the 50's I cannot think of right ow too, along the same lines ala student 'rights'.

The NJ school was just an example. But your point about parochial schools is right-on. Also, charter schools succeed on so many levels because their classroom sizes are generally smaller, even further making my point.

so size doesn't really matter..;)

Huh? Of course it does. And your point about religious schools is correct. They have smaller classrooms, just as most charter schools, and therefore "control of the classroom" is much easier.

I said in "metropolitan" areas. Perhaps I should have been more specific, i.e., inner city public schools.

Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg to give $100m to Newark's crumbling schools | Richard Adams | World news | guardian.co.uk

You think they omitted the metropolitan areas in Japan and Korea?

:bsflag:

Why are you persisting with this argument? Japan and Korea are much more disciplined people in general. It therefore follows their instructors and students (and class rooms) will also be much more disciplined than can commonly be found today in typical unruly classrooms in the United States. This is a fucking nobrainer, and it does make me wonder if you are really a "teacher" at all, as you claim to be.

Speaking of no-brainer, I think you've finally got it:

It is NOT the class size that makes a difference in successful learning enviromnoents (urban or otherwise), but instead differences between, "people in general" or, what educated individuals know as differences in culture.

Glad the light finally came on for your dim-bulb.:clap2:

Last edited:

Huh? Of course it does. And your point about religious schools is correct. They have smaller classrooms, just as most charter schools, and therefore "control of the classroom" is much easier.

Source?

Parochial schools usually have LARGER classes.

Catholicdiocesan schools tended to have relatively large class sizes. The average class size was 25 or more in 54 percent of Catholicdiocesan schools;

Geez you really haven't a fucking clue about this subject.:lol:

Last edited:
You think they omitted the metropolitan areas in Japan and Korea?

:bsflag:

Why are you persisting with this argument? Japan and Korea are much more disciplined people in general. It therefore follows their instructors and students (and class rooms) will also be much more disciplined than can commonly be found today in typical unruly classrooms in the United States. This is a fucking nobrainer, and it does make me wonder if you are really a "teacher" at all, as you claim to be.

It is NOT the class size that makes a difference in successful learning enviromnoents (urban or otherwise), but instead differences between, "people in general" or, what educated individuals know as differences in culture.

Except that it would have been nice if you had made that opinion ALONG WITH the chart you posted. But failing that, it appeared to this bright bulb that you simply were eager to pick (another) fight with me.

You are so petty. I pity your students, if any.

uhm no that wasn't my point parochial schools don't necessarily have smaller class they have DISCIPLINE among other values.

Source?

Catholicdiocesan schools tended to have relatively large class sizes. The average class size was 25 or more in 54 percent of Catholicdiocesan schools;

Oh brother, 1993-1994??? How about pulling some current information? After all, you're a teacher, right?

National Catholic Educational Association
U.S. Catholic Education Snapshot
2008-09 School Year

Catholic Schools

Total Catholic school enrollment: 2,192,531
Elementary school enrollment: 1,568,016
Secondary school enrollment: 624,515

Minority students: 643,173 29.3%
Non-Catholic: 325,835 14.9%

Total number of schools: 7,248
Elementary schools: 6,028
Secondary schools: 1,220
Co-educational: 93.6%
Single sex male: 2.6%
Single sex female: 3.8%

New schools in 2009/9: 31
New schools in last 5 years: 184
Schools with waiting lists for admission:
(29.2%) 2,114

Full-time professional staff: 157,615
Laity: 96.0%
Religious/clergy: 4.0%
Student/teacher ratio: 14:1

Average Tuition
Elementary: $3,159
Secondary: $8,182

Source?

Oh brother, 1993-1994??? How about pulling some current information? After all, you're a teacher, right?

2008-09 School Year

Catholic Schools

(29.2%) 2,114

Average Tuition

Sometimes you are so painfully naive its pitiful

Would you expect the NATIONAL CATHOLIC EDUCATION ASSOCIATION to advertise that their classroom size is LARGER?

The first clue is

the "Student to Teacher Ratio" is calculated 2,192,531 students/157,615 full time professional staff. I hate to burst your little bubble, but all full time professional staff at school are not teachers.

I think I'll stick with my objective source, sweetie: Now run along and play

uhm no that wasn't my point parochial schools don't necessarily have smaller class they have DISCIPLINE among other values.

Exactly.

Poor Maggie, despite the point a top her head, even the simplest concepts seem to go over it: Class size it irrelevant if you have disciplined students.

Obviously, Maggie has never attended one of the many colleges where HUNDREDS of Freshman are in one room.

Except that it would have been nice if you had made that opinion ALONG WITH the chart you posted. But failing that, it appeared to this bright bulb that you simply were eager to pick (another) fight with me.

You are so petty. I pity your students, if any.

Oh stop whining.:eusa_hand:

I'll try to remember your inferiour intellect requires spoon feeding.

Source?

2008-09 School Year

Catholic Schools

(29.2%) 2,114

Average Tuition

samson is correct imho...I happen to have a personal aside, yes personal but I think fairly representative from what I gathered, that speaks to such when I thought about enrolling my daughter in Archbishop Mitty, Valley Christan among others here in san jose....they include athletic coaches/managers, their administrative staff for instance.

They said 15-20, when I actually saw working classrooms I counted 25 desks on average, asking about this apparent conflict, they said they "generally" run a little high semester to semester or lower depending on current enrollments. Which is just a clever way of not admitting yes they average over 20...

Last edited:
I’d like to say one thing on classroom behavior as a subset of cultural means.

I think that at thr risk of stereotyping yes, Asian schools by and large may exhibit day to less, uhm, activity in that the children may be more docile or obedient, however in the context of learning I don’t see this as a good thing necessarily, American classrooms are probably more voluble but this assists the creative aspect of learning while less interaction does not stir those creative or free out of the box thinking technique.

America is a place where in the cross cultures move up the mean as they engage more in this atmosphere , which I think is seen empirically as it assist in crating a more entrepreneurial and creative student there after how achieves along these lines.

I probably said this clumsily but I hope my point got across.

Exactly.

Poor Maggie, despite the point a top her head, even the simplest concepts seem to go over it: Class size it irrelevant if you have disciplined students.

Obviously, Maggie has never attended one of the many colleges where HUNDREDS of Freshman are in one room.

Indeed I have, but by the time you reach college, most WANT to learn. If they don't, they are free to skip the class. Duh...

Forum List

Back