• Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Political Strategies of the Founding Generation & Dueling Quotes

"He who would do his country the most good he can, must go quietly with the prejudices of the majority until he can lead them into reason." - Thomas Jefferson in a letter written to Caesar Rodney in 1805

Would people today call Jefferson 'disingenuous' or a 'liar' or a 'crooked politician?'

And maybe ask yourselves, who is Caesar Rodney, and in what context was Jefferson speaking?

To William G. Munford ( a student who had asked Jefferson's advice on a course of scientific study)

I join you therefore in regarding as cowardly the idea that the human mind is incapable of further advances. This is precisely the doctrine (*idea) which the present despots of the earth are inculcating, & their friends here re-echoing; & applying especially to religion & politics; `that it is not probable that any thing better will be discovered than what was known to our fathers.'

being with sincere esteem Dear Sir

Your friend & servt
TH: JEFFERSON

To Dr. Joseph Priestley Philadelphia, Jan. 27, 1800

DEAR SIR,

The Gothic idea that we are to look backwards instead of forwards for the improvement of the human mind, and to recur to the annals of our ancestors for what is most perfect in government, in religion & in learning, is worthy of those bigots in religion & government, by whom it has been recommended, & whose purposes it would answer. But it is not an idea which this country will endure; and the moment of their showing it is fast ripening; and the signs of it will be their respect for you, & growing detestation of those who have dishonored our country by endeavors to disturb our tranquility in it. No one has felt this with more sensibility than, my dear Sir,

your respectful & affectionate friend & servant.
TH: Jefferson

Ask yourself, "who is this Dr. Joseph Priestley?"

Forum List

Back