Political Slogan for whoever runs against Bush

Originally posted by lilcountriegal

Even the inspectors at that time were complaining that certain areas of Iraq were being made off-limits for the inspections. How can one "finish" an investigation that they cant even begin to conduct???

Pick up a newspaper once in a while. Educate yourself, you might be surprised what you learn.

Hmmmm..... try looking at this information:
http://usinfo.state.gov/topical/pol/usandun/03011402.htm

14 January 2003

Arms Inspectors Need More Time in Iraq, Annan Says
U.N. secretary general: Keep the pressure on Iraq

By Judy Aita
Washington File United Nations Correspondent
United Nations -- Secretary General Kofi Annan said January 14 that U.N. weapons inspectors in Iraq are intensifying their work, and the Security Council is letting them proceed, not talking of war at this stage.

"The inspectors are just getting up to full speed. They are now quite operational and able to fly around (the country) and get their work done," Annan said at his first press conference of the year. "We should wait for the update that they will give to the council on the 27th (of January), and what ... further instruction the council gives them."

U.N. weapons inspectors returned to Iraq November 27, 2002 and have been increasingly active as staff and equipment have arrived in the country. There are currently about 100 inspectors and another 50 support staff and 49 air crew members at two main offices in Iraq. To date they have conducted more than 150 inspections at over 125 sites. Plans include adding about 100 more inspectors, another office, and increasing aerial surveillance of suspected weapons sites.

The secretary general said that Iraqi cooperation "is better than what it used to be," but the inspectors want more from Iraq to "fill in the gaps" on its weapons of mass destruction.

Nevertheless, the secretary general said, he is "both optimistic and hopeful that if we handle the situation right, and the pressure on the Iraqi leadership is maintained, and the inspectors continue to work as aggressively as they are doing, we may be able to disarm Iraq peacefully and without any resort to war."

http://www.house.gov/georgemiller/rel3603b.html
Here's another example:
Press Release
Congressman George Miller (D-California, 7th District)
Committee on Education and the Workforce, Committee on Resources

Menu
What's New
Biography
Constituent Services
Contacting George
District All-Stars
Photo Gallery
Press Releases
Return to Home Page

Legislative Activities
George's Legislation
Education
Environment
Labor

Help
Site Map

For Immediate Release / Contact: Daniel Weiss
Miller Says President Bush Has Not Yet Proved
That War Against Iraq is Necessary

Thursday, March 6, 2003
WASHINGTON -- Congressman George Miller issued a statement on the House floor Thursday afternoon expressing his strong reservations about President Bush’s policy toward Iraq. Miller said that he does not believe the Administration has proven that war against Iraq is necessary to achieve American goals and furthermore he said that he believes that the President has failed to pursue steps that might avert the need for war.

In the House of Representatives
Honorable George Miller of California
The President Still Has Not Made The Case That
War Against Iraq Is Necessary At This Time
Mr. Speaker, I rise to express my grave concern over the Bush Administration’s approach toward Iraq. I believe that this Administration is now, and has always been, determined to go to war and that it has never taken all the steps available to avert a war while also achieving its goals toward that country. This Administration’s approach ill serves the American people and is dangerous for America’s position in the world.

Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein should adhere to the demands of the United Nations Security Council to destroy any weapons of mass destruction, to refrain from further development of such weapons, and to cease and desist from hostilities towards his own people and his neighbors. He has not yet done so.

But the fact is that the United States has never given the United Nations process its full respect. The President’s national security advisors have said they have intelligence to prove that Iraq is failing to comply with the United Nations’ resolutions and is deceiving the weapons inspectors, but it has not fully divulged that intelligence to the inspectors.

The President has said that the United Nations must vote to use force because the weapons inspections are not working. And yet he has never advocated for a robust weapons inspection regime. Even though chief weapons inspector Hans Blix is reporting that progress is being made, albeit slowly, the fact is that we could have made even more progress with a tripling of the inspections team and an early insistence on the use of U2 spy plane over-flights.

The President has an obligation to take every step possible short of war before determining whether or not war is necessary. I do not believe that the conclusion today can be reached that war is necessary. I believe that more time can safely be given to weapons inspections without risking a unilateral attack by Iraq against the United States or our allies. I do not believe that the facts indicate that Iraq poses a threat to the security of the United States.

But perhaps just as important, I believe that the weapons inspection regime is keeping Saddam Hussein occupied and that an even more robust weapons inspection regime would cripple any offensive capability he might contemplate.

Mr. Speaker, America’s standing in the world is jeopardized by the President’s position on Iraq. President Bush has stood by while North Korea becomes a nuclear nation, but he has badgered and bullied nearly every nation in the world to support his position against Iraq, whose military capabilities are far more limited than those of North Korea. The world community has rarely received such bellicose and belligerent treatment as they have from the United States on the issue of Iraq.

The President weakens the international alliance against terrorism and other world threats as he bullies nations to support his march to war. These nations are not admirers of Saddam Hussein, but they are opponents of war when war has not yet been proven to be necessary. And the American people are not admirers of Saddam Hussein. But they too strongly believe that war must be the last resort and only when absolutely necessary and only with international support. This Administration chose war as its first response and has not changed course since.

Mr. Speaker, I would hope that the Administration would strongly consider world opinion that advocates more time for weapons inspections. I would hope that this Administration would strongly consider the harm to America’s standing in the world as it deals with the members of the United Nations. And I would hope that this Administration would remember that America is a peaceful nation, it is a just nation, and a strong nation. America is not, and should never become, a nation that is proud to go to war.

Should it be determined that war indeed is necessary, I have every confidence that the armed forces of this country will perform their responsibility with strength and character. I have always admired the men and women who choose to serve in the armed forces. I admire them for their hard work, their sense of duty to our country, and their sense of responsibility. But it is because of their character and sense of duty to our nation that we owe it to them and their families for our government to exhaust every alternative to war before those men and women are put in harm’s way.

The measure of the strength of a nation is its ability to show appropriate restraint just as much as it is its ability to protect itself and its allies. Mr. Speaker, millions of Americans and people throughout the world support allowing more time for weapons inspections. I believe they are right and I believe our nation will be well served to allow more time for a rigorous inspections program.

Thank you.

Although Iraq was cooperative on what inspectors called "prcess" - allowing inspectors access to suspsected weapons sites, for example - it was only marginally cooperatiev in answering the questions surrounding its weapons programs.

Timeline:

March 7, 2002 - Iraqi officials meet w/ UN Sec Annan & Blix to discuss arms inspections. UN fails to win return of inspectors at this meeting, or two subsequent ones in May and July.

September 16, 2002 - following Bush's speech to the UN, Baghdad announces it will allow inspectors to return "without conditions".

November 8, 2002 - UN Security council adopts Resolution 1441 which declares Iraq "remains in material breadch" of past resolutions and gives Iraq a "final opportunity to comply with its disarmament obligatinos". States Iraq must allow "immediate, unimpeded, unconditional, and unrestricted access" to "facilities, buildings, equipment, records, and means of transport which they wish to inspect". The resolution also warns that Iraq will face "serious consequences" if it fails to complly with its disarmament obligations.

November 13, 2002 - Iraq accepts Resolution 1441. Inspections begin November 27.

December 19, 2002 - Folowing Iraq's submission of its declaration of weapons, Powell states that it contains a "pattern of systemic.... gaps" that constitute "another material breach" of Iraq's disarmament obligations.

February 24, 2003 - US, UK and Spain submit a new resolution saying "Iraq has failed to take teh final opportunity afforded to it by Resolution 1441". It further adds that Baghdad's cooperation, although improving, is not "yet fully satisfactory".

March 7, 2003 - Blix tells the Security Counsil that Iraq's cooperation with inspectors has improved, although Baghdad has not yet compiled with its disarmament obligations". The inspectors stated during briefing to the Security Council on 1/27 and 2/14 that Iraq was gradually increasing its cooperation with the UN, however, deemed the cooperation insufficient.

Thank you.

link

I guess that's a prime example of how partisanship works.

You ignore the message as a whole, and you ignore the main point from Kofi Anan, which said that U.N. inspections were making increasing progress in Iraq.

But instead of understanding the whole point, you look for the smallest smidgeons and try to magnify them. 95% of the message says U.N. inspections is making increasing progress in Iraq. 5% of the message says it's not perfect, there's more progress to be made.

You conclude, see... that 5% proves your point.

Instead that's a clear demonstration of the faulty logic that Bush utilized with regards to deciding to invade Iraq.

We've found no weapons of mass destruction...

No... really? No weapons? I havent heard that one :rolleyes:

My point on compliance is in regards to your statement:

The position of the U.N. and it's U.N. inspectors was that they wanted a few months to finish their inspecitions. The U.N. inspectors were receiving the most cooperation from Iraq than they had ever had (admittedly, it's about time).

I simply asked, how could one finish their inspections when they've never, in fact, really began.

Again, there is either compliance or there is not. There is no happy medium.

Originally posted by lilcountriegal
No... really? No weapons? I havent heard that one :rolleyes:

My point on compliance is in regards to your statement:

I simply asked, how could one finish their inspections when they've never, in fact, really began.

Again, there is either compliance or there is not. There is no happy medium.

OK... So, Bush was just delirious when he told Kofi Anan to withdraw his U.N. inspectors from Iraq. Maybe he was just hallucinating it. Guess he was doing the Oxycontin thing with Rush.

If the Bush administration is lying and therefore corrupt , why haven't we found WMD . It certainly wouldn't have been very tough to plant whatever they wanted to find , the fact that they haven't found the "smoking gun" yet makes me trust them even more . Plenty has been found in documents and parts .
Whenn one remembers what Saddam did with most of his Air Force during Desert Storm(relocated the aircraft to other countries) , it certainly wouldn't be unusual to repeat it with the weaponry he couldn't afford to be caught with . Do those of you that have read so much into David Kay's report really believe that a sadistic , paranoid , egotistical , maniacal , asswipe like Saddam , who didn't think twice about creating the biggest ecological disasters ever , huge mass murders and torture , and obviously possessed the tiniest genitals of all time , would not have chemical or biological weapons? DO you really believe that?:p: :eek: :cuckoo:

That's a weird justification for not finding WMD...

You're reaching...

Nice try

Originally posted by LoneVoice
That's a weird justification for not finding WMD...

You're reaching...

Nice try

Iraq NEVER fully complied with UN inspectors. Only under the threat of war did they relent a bit, and even then they didn't fully comply. You are 100% wrong.

YOU are reaching.

Pathetic try.

LoneVoice, You can certainly take a licking. You got spunk, kiddo! (all over your chin.)

Anyway, Screw Kofi Anan!

And Fuck the U.N.!

I tell you what... the U.N. just infuriates me to no end. And now have you seen all this about the Oil For Food program being the biggest scam in the history of civilization? The Fucking Eurofags and their goddamn U.N.!! I need to take my pills!

Forum List

Back