Political slander in a work email...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I got an email announcing the departure of a co-worker who is transferring to Florida. Typically when a co-worker leaves or transfers out of state, someone will host a farewell party. An email is sent announcing it and such.

This is the email I received (names changed and only the specific info changed to protect the innocent):

"As many of you know, our erudite and ambition Jane Doe has reluctantly (yeah, right!) accepted a team lead position in Florida choosing warm weather and a tan over her friends in Minnesota. In truth, her BMW can't handle the winter salt and Governor Jeb Bush really needs her help on important Republican issues like distributing guns and kevlar vests to every Mr. and Mrs Joe American resident in Florida-Sorry Jane, the Democrat in me just slipped out for a second. We will all miss her dearly and to show her how much, I would like to invite everyone to my place on Saturday, April 30, 2005 at 7pm to celebrate her new endeavor as super team lead and wish her well. I will have food and some beverages but since I am inviting PCS as well, I expect that it won't last very long and would appreciate if you would BYOB it and if you like a hors' doeuvre. Also, there is a deck on the roof of my building and weather permitting, you may want to bring your favorite cigar, a lawn chair and enjoy the downtown atomosphere."

What do you think of the political slander placed in an email that has nothing to do with politics? I work with people of all ranges of political affiliation. And we don't talk about it because we all feel that politics divide an otherwise close-knit office. I felt that these comments were highly inappropriate had no place in the email or at all. It was as if he was trying to lash out once more without anyone else being able to retort.

I don't care even if he was a conservative taking a shot at a liberal. I would still feel the same way. I don't know if his supervisor (whom I know got the email because it was sent to all of the Roseville office in a mass email) has spoken to him or not, but I feel that this person should at least be told his email was not fitting for this type of announcement. I know this person who sent the email out and is hosting the party, but I don't know if it is my place to say anything to him. Funny thing is, his supe is VERY conservative (more so than me), and makes no bones about it.

What do you think? Should I send an email to his supe, telling him how I feel, or should I say something to the guy myself? I just don't want it to be any more awkward than it is now, if I said something.

Inappropriate - forward that to higher.

[edit]- you don't have a right to 'never be offended'...even if I don't like the message...I'm thinking I'd just let it go.

Sounds like somebody just having a little fun. Don't get so Democrat about it.

Sure sounds like a cheap shit though. I'd bitch about that if it were me.

Mr. P said:
The author is a co-worker? Not a boss?
yes, it is a co-worker

i'm not really so much offended, it just made me a bit angry that he takes a cheap shot like this, and as far as i can tell, no one has said anything.

normally with stupid comments, i would let it go. but several other people i talked to (both liberal and conservative) say his words were a bit out of line.

how do i bring this up without sounding like i am making a bigger deal than it is, out of it?

I don't think it's a big deal, especially if the person who wrote the e-mail was friends with the person who's leaving. I wouldn't worry about it.

Mr. P said:
Just a co-worker...let it be.
Besides that it wasn't even directed at you, which would be a diff story
altogether.

diff. LOL. I havent' heard that in a while. I've missed you and your mr.p-ness.

fuzzykitten99 said:
What do you think? Should I send an email to his supe, telling him how I feel, or should I say something to the guy myself? I just don't want it to be any more awkward than it is now, if I said something.

I don't think it's a big deal, just seems like a harmless joke. It was one line in the email and smells a bit like some good natured ribbing that goes on between the two. I guess you could ask yourself how you would feel if the roles were reversed. If he was leaving for Boston and she sent out an email saying John Kerry needed help raising taxes and making excuses for the UN, would it be offensive or would you just laugh?

Jimmyeatworld said:
I don't think it's a big deal, just seems like a harmless joke. It was one line in the email and smells a bit like some good natured ribbing that goes on between the two. I guess you could ask yourself how you would feel if the roles were reversed. If he was leaving for Boston and she sent out an email saying John Kerry needed help raising taxes and making excuses for the UN, would it be offensive or would you just laugh?

that may be, but due to the size of the office, few people were aware of the way they acted with each other. comments like this are best kept to the personal relationship between those two, rather than a mass email to the entire office of 200+ people.

fuzzykitten99 said:
the guy's a tree hugger, so i don't think he'd protest.

showing up in the vest sounds like fun though! i'd probably bring something like a supersoaker though
I don't think manu is a tree hugger...The soaker sounds good though..maybe loaded with grape juice. :teeth:

fuzzykitten99 said:
i meant the guy who sent the email is a tree-hugger...typically, those guys are big into nudity...i mean artful poses... :wank:
I don't know....I used to have nudist camps programmed into the GPS on a helicopter I flew. I'd come back home flying a course from camp to camp, LOL...never saw anyone with a tree hugger sign on. :rotflmao: Or anything else on for that matter.. :rotflmao:

Forum List

Back