Political outrage over the National Anthem & the hypocrisy surrounding it.

What does that have to do with changing the words to the song?
Come on dude. This thread was about the Anthem. HE made it about the flag and the manner in which it was displayed in the video. I responded in kind.

Who made it about the flag?

You do realize that if I have someone on ignore, I don't see their post in any way, shape, or form.

If you are going to address something to me or comment on my post, make sure you explain yourself.
Now it's my fault that you missed half the conversation because you had someone on ignore?

Gtfo with that stupidity. I use ignore too and on occasion I misunderstand a post because I only see half. Once I realize MY MISTAKE I correct it or apologize as necessary.

Good grief

Look, if you want to be a flaming asshole because you don't explain yourself, go right ahead. If you read your post, there is no way for me to even know you were replying to someone's post until you mentioned it. You simply failed to address my point, which is YOUR fault, not mine, nor the person you quoted.

I took you off ignore because I think that sometimes you have something important that I would like to read. This thread is one of them, but if you are going to get menstrual cramps every time I ask for clarification, you can right back where the other turds live.
????

Unreal

OK, so I guess you choose asshole. Thank you! Goodbye, you piece of human excrement!

Come on dude. This thread was about the Anthem. HE made it about the flag and the manner in which it was displayed in the video. I responded in kind.

Who made it about the flag?

You do realize that if I have someone on ignore, I don't see their post in any way, shape, or form.

If you are going to address something to me or comment on my post, make sure you explain yourself.
Now it's my fault that you missed half the conversation because you had someone on ignore?

Gtfo with that stupidity. I use ignore too and on occasion I misunderstand a post because I only see half. Once I realize MY MISTAKE I correct it or apologize as necessary.

Good grief

Look, if you want to be a flaming asshole because you don't explain yourself, go right ahead. If you read your post, there is no way for me to even know you were replying to someone's post until you mentioned it. You simply failed to address my point, which is YOUR fault, not mine, nor the person you quoted.

I took you off ignore because I think that sometimes you have something important that I would like to read. This thread is one of them, but if you are going to get menstrual cramps every time I ask for clarification, you can right back where the other turds live.
????

Unreal

OK, so I guess you choose asshole. Thank you! Goodbye, you piece of human excrement!
Lol

Whatever, be still my broken heart

I see the change from BRAVE to CHIEFS as a sophomoric act of partisan sports fans that might make some purist uncomfortable. To me it isn't a big deal. Usually in such situation by the time they get to BRAVE it is usually drowned out by cheers or perhaps a fly over on a really special occasion. My mood concerning the act would be negative if the team itself enticed the change. Say if the anthem words were placed on the scoreboard for people to sing and they substituted CHIEFS there, then I'd have a negative opinion of the organization.

I see this as tame in comparison to the videos of fights in stands of NFL games.

I see the change from BRAVE to CHIEFS as a sophomoric act of partisan sports fans that might make some purist uncomfortable. To me it isn't a big deal. Usually in such situation by the time they get to BRAVE it is usually drowned out by cheers or perhaps a fly over on a really special occasion. My mood concerning the act would be negative if the team itself enticed the change. Say if the anthem words were placed on the scoreboard for people to sing and they substituted CHIEFS there, then I'd have a negative opinion of the organization.

I see this as tame in comparison to the videos of fights in stands of NFL games.
The chiefs actually protested the fans doing this a couple years back. Along with the tomahawk chop.

The chiefs actually protested the fans doing this a couple years back. Along with the tomahawk chop.

Thanks for passing along that word about the team. I always hated the tomahawk chop, should not have gone beyond the Florida State Seminoles. I believe FSU started it and when the Atlantic Braves picked it up I viewed that as ripping off FSU.

Thanks for passing along that word about the team. I always hated the tomahawk chop, should not have gone beyond the Florida State Seminoles. I believe FSU started it and when the Atlantic Braves picked it up I viewed that as ripping off FSU.
They gave it a good effort to stop it but you know how fan bases are.

And by the way, if you find the last word in the video unintelligible it is CHIEFS.
The home of the brave (our military & citizenry)
The home of the CHIEFS
I never liked that. I didn't seem right then and it certainly doesn't now. So how is this supposed to relate to players kneeling?
It's about relavitism and where we "choose" to find outrage.

I bet 100k people or more do that to the Anthem every single Sunday. (Assuming other fans of other teams do similar) Yet no stink was ever made about it being disrespectful.
A handful of players do what they do and it gets some publicity but never amounts to much and Kapernick is gone... Then Trump tweets and a shitstorm erupts and it becomes a political football.
One is no more disrespectful than the other but for some reason we react differently.
Is it though? I didn't see any of those fans saying fuck the USA. They participated and changed one word at the end. I don't think that's great but they weren't kneeling saying this whole country sucks.

According to the Respect for Flag section of the US Code, "(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free." The flag is also not supposed to touch the ground, which I'm guessing those already disrespectful flat or horizontal flags held on the fields at football games probably do fairly often. USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - United States Code One might easily argue that the flag has been disrespect at football games for years and years because of those things.

I would guess that the big difference, however, is in intent; people who are upset about the NFL player protests may see them as an intentional disrespect of the flag, anthem, and/or country. I can see how it would be viewed differently than the cheering at the end of the anthem.
It's not about the cheering. It's about substituting words.
And military funerals display the flag in a horizontal position both over the coffin & when it is prepared for the spouse.

Do you not think that cheering at the end of the anthem, often drowning out the words, is also disrespectful to the anthem?

I didn't realize that they changed the word to Chiefs at the end at first; I thought it was just a lot of people starting to cheer that made it unintelligible.

My point in bringing up the flag code was to point out other things that are regularly done that could be seen as disrespectful to the flag, anthem, or country, but are not commented upon as such. I was just saying that yes, people have ignored "disrespect" for the flag or anthem at NFL games for years, but have become extremely offended by the NFL player protests because they disrespect the flag and anthem. However, as I said, I think the difference may be an impression of intent.

As far as the flag being horizontal in funerals, I was just quoting the flag code. However, the code contains a specific provision for the flag covering a casket, and I don't think the ceremony of folding the flag would constitute carrying flat or horizontally the way the on-the-field ceremony at many NFL games does.

According to the Respect for Flag section of the US Code, "(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free." The flag is also not supposed to touch the ground, which I'm guessing those already disrespectful flat or horizontal flags held on the fields at football games probably do fairly often. USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - United States Code One might easily argue that the flag has been disrespect at football games for years and years because of those things.

I would guess that the big difference, however, is in intent; people who are upset about the NFL player protests may see them as an intentional disrespect of the flag, anthem, and/or country. I can see how it would be viewed differently than the cheering at the end of the anthem.
It's not about the cheering. It's about substituting words.
And military funerals display the flag in a horizontal position both over the coffin & when it is prepared for the spouse.

I am not sure what you are trying to get at with this statement.

I brought up the flag code's instruction not to carry the flag flat or horizontally as an example of an ignored disrespect of the flag; Grampa was responding to that. Unless I'm on ignore for some reason and you can't read this post. :p

This is the ENTIRE stadium singing the song. Listen CLOSELY to the very last word sung.
I live here and we (including me) have done this EVERY SINGLE TIME THE SONG IS SUNG.
It never occurred to me that I was disrespecting our nation it's soldiers or the flag despite the substitution at the end of the song.
Fast forward and a SILENT action that many deem disrespectful has torn the political class & those who follow it apart.

Why?

How is what the players are doing anymore disrespectful than what nearly every fan in the stadium is doing?

I will admit that what the players are doing has gone to far but that can be attributed almost entirely to Trumps inability to keep his fucking yap shut. When Obama stuck his nose into the affairs of different localities we were all to eager to tell him to STFU and mind his own business but for some reason many on this board wish to give Trump a pass.
The NFL is a privately owned institution with many (branches) that follow their own standards of conduct. If the owners are ok with the conduct of their players who the hell is Trump, or you, to place demands on them....bake that cake now!!! Ring a bell?

You are free of course to not watch and express your OPINION but you should have enough common sense to know that you can not dictate to others what is right or wrong when that activity is done within the confines of the law.

And before you respond reflect on the disrespect that is shown by the very fans who are now feigning outrage at an activity no different than their own. If the Anthem is fully sacred then any bastardization should be condemned wholly.

Thoughts?

listened to it, can't make out the word you're referring to...

Forum List

Back